State Parks - Aggresive animals

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robbo

State Parks - Aggresive animals

Post by robbo »

Hello, Ive been searching, but I can not find a direct answer, hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Scenerio: I am fishing, or backpacking in a state park. I coyote,dog, rabid racoon is heading toward me in aggression. What are the laws as far as my defense against such aggression by a wild animal in a state park? (assuming that Im on state park property)
I was informed by law enforcement that we are allowed to conceal carry in state parks, but I did not raise this rabid animal question at the time I was speaking to law enforcement. Perhaps someone was involved in such a scenerio, or can direct me to any law.

Thanks in advance
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: State Parks - Aggresive animals

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

robbo wrote:Hello, Ive been searching, but I can not find a direct answer, hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Scenerio: I am fishing, or backpacking in a state park. I coyote,dog, rabid racoon is heading toward me in aggression. What are the laws as far as my defense against such aggression by a wild animal in a state park? (assuming that Im on state park property)
I was informed by law enforcement that we are allowed to conceal carry in state parks, but I did not raise this rabid animal question at the time I was speaking to law enforcement. Perhaps someone was involved in such a scenerio, or can direct me to any law.
You can defend yourself from an animal attack. You cannot hunt w/o a license or out of season and call it self-defense. You're likely to face an investigation if you fire a gun in a state park. I recommend you do so only if necessary and after taking any reasonable steps you can safely take (in advance as well as at the time) to avoid having to do so.
robbo

Post by robbo »

[/quote]You can defend yourself from an animal attack. You cannot hunt w/o a license or out of season and call it self-defense. You're likely to face an investigation if you fire a gun in a state park. I recommend you do so only if necessary and after taking any reasonable steps you can safely take (in advance as well as at the time) to avoid having to do so.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
I would expect an investigation and visit by the local authority if anyone fired in a state park, therefor I would follow up with a stop at the nearest ranger station or police station to report. (if they didnt find me first)
And of course I would only be firing as a last resort for defense. Thanks again.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

If I fired on an animal in a state park in self defence I'd be calling a ranger to report the incident and request a rabies test on the animal. Most wild animals in Ohio do not attack humans on their own, feral dogs or coydogs being an obvious exception.
robbo

Post by robbo »

walnut red wrote:If I fired on an animal in a state park in self defence I'd be calling a ranger to report the incident and request a rabies test on the animal. Most wild animals in Ohio do not attack humans on their own, feral dogs or coydogs being an obvious exception.
agreed....I was just naming something for an example. Maybe I'll run into bigfoot? oh,,,he's illegal to shoot in certain areas
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

You're more likely to get attacked by someones pet dog or a farm animal than any Ohio critters. Bucks have been known to get a little crazy around rutting season, but other than that IDK what else could come after you. I've been an outdoors person since a small boy and have never had any trouble. Once at age 16 in rural Wayne County KY I walked into a small cave and saw a "dogs" behind turn around and walk deeper into the cave. Turns out I unknowingly walked into a Coyote den :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

glocksmith wrote:or a farm animal
Which farm animals are aggressive?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:
Barn yard rooster! :lol:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:
Less than a week ago http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/boo ... tucky-farm

Any more questions?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:
Ask Chuck... :twisted:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JustaShooter wrote:
BadCrosshairDay wrote:
Ask Chuck... :twisted:
LOL justa I forgot about that. Meshes quite nicely with my post above :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!