proving you're qualified with every gun you carry?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: proving you're qualified with every gun you carry?

Post by WY_Not »

So then setting up tests to prove that one can read and understand the issues and the policy positions of the candidates before being allowed to vote would be acceptable as well? :roll: After all, if they vote wrong then a lot of innocent bystanders might be harmed.
M-Quigley wrote:If someone lived in a place like that, I could see the value in documenting your scores with different handguns. I think California is wrong on a lot of things, including this, but unfortunately if that's the hoops you have to jump through, so be it. As far as Ohio however, where you're not required or expected to document each gun, how useful is it going to be in court? Obviously if you miss and hit an innocent bystander, it might be an issue, but with a 5 shot revolver you don't have rounds to spray and pray for hits anyway. She's not a cop or federal agent. If she ever has to use a gun, it's most likely going to be a very close range situation. If not, she's going to be better off taking cover and or escape from a situation than trying to engage someone in a gun battle from 25 yards with a slower to reload short barreled 5 shot revolver anyway. What I basically told her at the time was that while extra training or practice isn't a bad thing, the most important issue in court is probably going to be why you fired, not some score you got on a paper target.

Although her ccw course did go over the law and use of force, from what I gather it was pretty basic, with little explanation of the elements in real life situations. We went over that in more detail, and I gave her some referral links. Although she did okay on the range practice (she hadn't shot the gun in months) I showed her some things to improve her accuracy and speed. I had forgotten how much felt recoil an airweight 38 special short barreled revolver has. :)
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

WY_Not wrote:So then setting up tests to prove that one can read and understand the issues and the policy positions of the candidates before being allowed to vote would be acceptable as well? :roll: After all, if they vote wrong then a lot of innocent bystanders might be harmed.
Should be no problem. The 2nd Amendment applied to all citizens from the beginning. The 'Right to Vote' for all citizens was not ratified until 1920.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Uhm no. The 2nd Amendment does not apply to citizens in any way, shape, or form. It does not grant citizens anything. It tells Gov where it may not tread.

Regardless of when an amendment is ratified or even if an amendment exists right still exist. It is simply a matter of how willing a citizen is to exercise that right. Amendments do not grant us anything. They tell the Gov where it may or may not tread.

As for the test to vote or not... Good luck with that one. Such tests were struck down once already. They are just as stupid and just as much of an infringement then as they would be now. They are just as stupid and just as much of an infringement as having to prove one is "qualified" with a firearm.
Suckerspawn wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So then setting up tests to prove that one can read and understand the issues and the policy positions of the candidates before being allowed to vote would be acceptable as well? :roll: After all, if they vote wrong then a lot of innocent bystanders might be harmed.
Should be no problem. The 2nd Amendment applied to all citizens from the beginning. The 'Right to Vote' for all citizens was not ratified until 1920.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I say again, any restriction on RKBA should apply equally to right to vote. I really want to here the Democrats explanation of why one is "reasonable" and "common sense" and the other is hateful, racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, and just plain mean.

Every anti gun bill introduced should immediately have an amendment added to it making it apply to voting. The ultimate poison pill.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

M-Quigley wrote:If someone lived in a place like that, I could see the value in documenting your scores with different handguns. I think California is wrong on a lot of things, including this, but unfortunately if that's the hoops you have to jump through, so be it. As far as Ohio however, where you're not required or expected to document each gun, how useful is it going to be in court? Obviously if you miss and hit an innocent bystander, it might be an issue, but with a 5 shot revolver you don't have rounds to spray and pray for hits anyway. She's not a cop or federal agent. If she ever has to use a gun, it's most likely going to be a very close range situation. If not, she's going to be better off taking cover and or escape from a situation than trying to engage someone in a gun battle from 25 yards with a slower to reload short barreled 5 shot revolver anyway. What I basically told her at the time was that while extra training or practice isn't a bad thing, the most important issue in court is probably going to be why you fired, not some score you got on a paper target.

Although her ccw course did go over the law and use of force, from what I gather it was pretty basic, with little explanation of the elements in real life situations. We went over that in more detail, and I gave her some referral links. Although she did okay on the range practice (she hadn't shot the gun in months) I showed her some things to improve her accuracy and speed. I had forgotten how much felt recoil an airweight 38 special short barreled revolver has. :)
My first comment was directed to someone who might live in a place like California or NY. It doesn't matter if I consider it acceptable or not, if I want to legally carry there and those are the hoops I have to jump through, so be it. I knew someone once who when he moved to NYC for a high paying job had to pay an attorney a lot of money to get a NYC carry permit. Is that wrong? Of course it is, but that's unfortunately the system there. It was still cheaper than getting arrested for a CCW charge, or not carrying and maybe be dead. Bernie Goetz paid a couple hundred bucks just to get denied, wasn't rich enough to fight it, and found out the hard way what happens when you just go ahead and carry anyway. Thankfully Ohio is not that way. (not that there isn't some people who would like those laws here)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WestonDon wrote:I say again, any restriction on RKBA should apply equally to right to vote. I really want to here the Democrats explanation of why one is "reasonable" and "common sense" and the other is hateful, racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, and just plain mean.

Every anti gun bill introduced should immediately have an amendment added to it making it apply to voting. The ultimate poison pill.
Even better, make it apply to politicians and police as well.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

ALL laws should also apply the politicians, police and bureaucrats. If they want to pass and enforce such nonsense then let them live by it as well.
M-Quigley wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I say again, any restriction on RKBA should apply equally to right to vote. I really want to here the Democrats explanation of why one is "reasonable" and "common sense" and the other is hateful, racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, and just plain mean.

Even better, make it apply to politicians and police as well.