CCW and Firearm Purchase w/ Treatment in Lieu of Conviction

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FireDawg77

CCW and Firearm Purchase w/ Treatment in Lieu of Conviction

Post by FireDawg77 »

Can anyone tell me whether or not having a felony drug possession charge that has been dismissed for Treatment in Lieu of Conviction (meaning there was no conviction) will prevent me from obtaining an Ohio CCW permit or prevent me fromn passing the background check for purchasing new firearms?
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW and Firearm Purchase w/ Treatment in Lieu of Convict

Post by SeanC »

A TLC disposition is a dismissal, not a conviction, so there is no federal firearms disability under 18 USC 922(d)(1) or state disability under 2923.13(A)(2).

If your TIL entry required you to admit drug/alcohol dependence or addiction, it MAY be a state disability under R.C. 2923.13(A)(4) (alcohol and/or drugs) or a federal disability under 18 USC 922(d)(3) (drug only). Most prosecutors will not take that position, provided you are no longer abusing and some meaningful period of time has passed such that relapse is not likely.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CCW and Firearm Purchase w/ Treatment in Lieu of Convict

Post by Werz »

SeanC wrote:A TLC disposition is a dismissal, not a conviction, so there is no federal firearms disability under 18 USC 922(d)(1) or state disability under 2923.13(A)(2).

If your TIL entry required you to admit drug/alcohol dependence or addiction, it MAY be a state disability under R.C. 2923.13(A)(4) (alcohol and/or drugs) or a federal disability under 18 USC 922(d)(3) (drug only). Most prosecutors will not take that position, provided you are no longer abusing and some meaningful period of time has passed such that relapse is not likely.
Technically, there must be abstinence for a year to complete intervention in lieu of conviction. Some courts are lax about that, but that's what the statute requires. R.C. 2951.041(D).

It's also beneficial to mention that intervention in lieu of conviction is a one-shot deal. You cannot do it twice; therefore, it's a good idea to take advantage of the opportunity and stay clean and sober.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.