Hostered in a vehicle

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hostered in a vehicle

Post by WestonDon »

Gramps wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:[quote="Gramps"

LCP in my back pocket.
Sweaty jeans and a sweaty T shirt in summer make the pocket holster and the small pistol a good option for me.

gramps....these pocket holsters were made for the FRONT pocket...
Works just fine in my back pocket.......Real easy to get to the LCP on the hip.
Front pockets are busy with keys, cash, knife, chap stick, lighter etc anyway..... All stuff I use and don't need a pistol in the way to get to them.[/quote]

Well it is good that the pocket is dedicated to the gun. Whichever pocket you chose.

I personally try to avoid all that sweat. 8)
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Get another pocket holster and secure it in your door pocket.

In a purse, I would recommend sewing a piece of velcro to both the holster and the fabric of the purse.

In this instance, you might consider a small, flat headed screw or joint connector nut installed from the inside top edge of the holster, through the door pocket. If you use screws, secure them with cap nuts. Whatever you use, add blue loctite.

This way, the gun is secure AND it will always be where you need it when you need it.
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Gramps wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Sodbuster's advice should be taken......just curious as to what gun you carry and what pocket holster..
LCP in my back pocket.
Sweaty jeans and a sweaty T shirt in summer make the pocket holster and the small pistol a good option for me.

gramps....these pocket holsters were made for the FRONT pocket...
Depends, there are pocket holsters designed for the back pocket also.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: :roll:
In a purse, I would recommend sewing a piece of velcro to both the holster and the fabric of the purse.
Thanks MyWifeSaidYes but I like my purse and not going to put holes it........... :lol:

I do use a product named tear mend. It is a most awesome fabric glue but stinks until dry

Thanks Bro......
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
mreising

Post by mreising »

Just make sure the gun is in some sort of holster while it is in the door pocket for safety. It will keep things (junk, trash, etc.) from interacting with the trigger.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

mreising wrote:Just make sure the gun is in some sort of holster while it is in the door pocket for safety. It will keep things (junk, trash, etc.) from interacting with the trigger.
And it also helps keep the finger out of the trigger guard when reaching for that gun in a moment of panic/high-stress, particularly if the vehicle is in-motion and you cannot divert your eyes from the task.

Additionally, if you fix the holster to the vehicle in some way, this will help you index the weapon under-stress.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

There's a gun I usually pocket carry and ended up buying an IWB clip holster for it because I didn't like the difficult draw from car seat, or the downsides of moving it to somewhere in the car.

Would an IWB holster with gun flat against back be an option for you while driving? May very well not be worth training a new holster and then having to remember which you're carrying the gun in.

Some benefits include:
-No extra handling each time getting in or out.
-Ability to leave car quickly with a handgun on you but not in hand.
-Ability to draw with either hand if necessary from a more predictable position relative to your body.
-No leaving handgun behind by accident
-Absentminded passenger won't open their door to show the street your handgun as you're trying to discreetly move it from car to pocket. (Isn't that specific?)
BadCrosshairDay

TSiWRX wrote:And it also helps keep the finger out of the trigger guard when reaching for that gun in a moment of panic/high-stress, particularly if the vehicle is in-motion and you cannot divert your eyes from the task.
Isn't this always the case? Keeping finger out of trigger guard when drawing handgun, that is.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Driving with a gun holstered behind your back isn't very comfortable....besides, if your seat belt is worn it isn't going to be easy drawing it....OH YEAH. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER....hearing that a million times may help YOU keep your finger off the trigger.. :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BadCrosshairDay

Seat belt comes off for draw. Doesn't need to come off far, just clicking it off is enough. Needs to be practiced like any other draw though. Not with a loaded gun, of course.

If there is a reason to draw and remain buckled, it would be very slow though.

Iwb is less comfortable than not having anything, but with some seat adjustments, glock 19+2mags isn't even annoying anymore, up to 2-3 hours. I'd think the comfort would vary between people though. The reason I used to take the pocket gun out of pocket was because I couldn't draw it sitting down, not comfort.

It is certainly a hair slower than if the handgun is where expected in the car to begin with, but for me it has the advantages mentioned above.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:And it also helps keep the finger out of the trigger guard when reaching for that gun in a moment of panic/high-stress, particularly if the vehicle is in-motion and you cannot divert your eyes from the task.
Isn't this always the case? Keeping finger out of trigger guard when drawing handgun, that is.
Yes, but the real-world is imperfect, despite our best intentions and regardless of how hard we practice and train - and if that gun is just sitting free in the door-card's storage pocket, well, there's always that possibility that what we think we're reaching for isn't quite what it should be. :wink: :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Just took my class. Just received CC Permit.
The instructor said it must be on your person. I go to sheriff office and the sign on wall dated nearly a year ago said to carry the gun anywhere. Any way you like. As well as loaded magazines.
Thusly; me is wondering what is the actual law? How often does it change? Where can I go to see this in writing on a website? I know people mean well but there is alot of incorrect information out there.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

SO far only from your instructor....you can drive your car while twirling your gun with your finger if you want....

PS......not recommended...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Your instructor hasn't kept up - the law used to be stricter than it is now, though I don't recall the specifics other than not being permitted to touch the firearm while driving. It changed a couple years ago so that there are no longer any restrictions on how the firearm is carried/stored in the vehicle. Of course, prudence should prevail - it needs to be secure and accessible, but the law places no limitations. As the previous poster said - twirling it on your finger is legal (if stupid) while driving.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Like the previous poster said, your instructor hasn't kept up with the changes. As far as how often do they change the law, it's like any other law, whenever the legislature decides to do it, then afterwards an effective date is set.