Hostered in a vehicle

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Hostered in a vehicle

Post by Gramps »

I use a pocket holster which is pretty uncomfortable with my pistol in it while setting for more than a few minutes.
Rather than remove the holster and/with the pistol (kinda a pain in the butt) can I legally remove just the loaded pistol (which is a breeze) and place it in the pocket on the door while driving upholstered?
I don't remember our class instructor mentioning anything specific concerning my question and I looked at ORC laws on CC and didn't see anything. Maybe I am just old and blind or just a little dumb!
A buddy and I were talking yesterday and he was certain I needed to have my loaded pistol holstered in a vehicle.

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Tru-Heathen

Re: Hostered in a vehicle

Post by Tru-Heathen »

With a CHL,you can hang it from the rear view mirror or duct tape it to your head,if you wish. (Not that I'm advocating doing either.) :lol:

Nothing in the law prevents you from doing what you asked. I'd try to be certain the pistol was secure & wouldn't become a projectile in case crap occurred .

I'll sometimes carry one of my XDs' in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and if on a long drive,will place it in between the passenger seat and the folding armrest in my truck. It fits tight enough that it "should" stay put.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Tru-Heathen wrote:...I'll sometimes carry one of my XDs' in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and if on a long drive,will place it in between the passenger seat and the folding armrest in my truck. It fits tight enough that it "should" stay put.
That's my carry position of choice in my Honda Accord, except it's between the passenger seat and what we would have formerly called the driveshaft tunnel back when cars had them things. Fits VERY snugly and isn't going anywhere. Grip is within 1 ft. of my hand when driving down the road. Works very well.

I agree, the door pocket might work well - until it doesn't work well in a hard, hard impact.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Gramps wrote:A buddy and I were talking yesterday and he was certain I needed to have my loaded pistol holstered in a vehicle.

Gramps
For the sake of clarity and understanding, it *used* to be a requirement in Ohio that your firearm be carried on your person in a holster when in a vehicle. At one time, you were also forbidden from touching it while in the vehicle. I imagine this is the past requirement is the source of your buddy's belief.

However, that law changed a few years ago and, so long as you have a CHL, you may now carry in any way you see fit, whether in a holster or not.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Gramps wrote:A buddy and I were talking yesterday and he was certain I needed to have my loaded pistol holstered in a vehicle.

Gramps
For the sake of clarity and understanding, it *used* to be a requirement in Ohio that your firearm be carried on your person in a holster when in a vehicle. At one time, you were also forbidden from touching it while in the vehicle. I imagine this is the past requirement is the source of your buddy's belief.

However, that law changed a few years ago and, so long as you have a CHL, you may now carry in any way you see fit, whether in a holster or not.
ETA: I might suggest caution if you're storing your loaded firearm in the door pocket while you're driving. I had a client some time ago carry a firearm in his vehicle in similar fashion. Due to some level of carelessness, his vehicle ended up with a new hole in it.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Sodbuster's advice should be taken......just curious as to what gun you carry and what pocket holster..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Why is it a "pain in the butt" to remove a pocket holster? It should be about the same as removing the handgun from the holster, right? Just take the whole rig out of your pocket and put it in a console or something before you get in the car. Do the opposite when you exit. That's the benefit of a pocket holster...
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SeanC wrote:Why is it a "pain in the butt" to remove a pocket holster? It should be about the same as removing the handgun from the holster, right?
I imagine that with some of those "sticky" holsters that are designed to remain in the pocket when drawing the handgun that it is much easier to draw the handgun from the holster than it is to remove the holstered gun.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
A_F

Post by A_F »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
I'll sometimes carry one of my XDs' in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and if on a long drive,will place it in between the passenger seat and the folding armrest in my truck. It fits tight enough that it "should" stay put.
I do the same. Let's say someone pulls out in front of me in an attempt to attack me. Im assuming as the impact throws me through the windshield (i dont like seatbealts), the gun will also be flying through the windshield at the same time allowing me to grab it in midair as I twist around to face the threat. Sort of like Deadpool.

That's how it works, right?
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

If you're thrown through the windshield,what happens to your gun will likely be the least of your worries. :roll:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

JustaShooter wrote:
SeanC wrote:Why is it a "pain in the butt" to remove a pocket holster? It should be about the same as removing the handgun from the holster, right?
I imagine that with some of those "sticky" holsters that are designed to remain in the pocket when drawing the handgun that it is much easier to draw the handgun from the holster than it is to remove the holstered gun.
Yep! A pain in the butt.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Sodbuster's advice should be taken......just curious as to what gun you carry and what pocket holster..
LCP in my back pocket.
Sweaty jeans and a sweaty T shirt in summer make the pocket holster and the small pistol a good option for me.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

A_F wrote:
Tru-Heathen wrote:
I do the same. Let's say someone pulls out in front of me in an attempt to attack me. Im assuming as the impact throws me through the windshield (i dont like seatbealts), the gun will also be flying through the windshield at the same time allowing me to grab it in midair as I twist around to face the threat. Sort of like Deadpool.

That's how it works, right?
I am going to look for an instructor that can teach such a feat!
Oh.....Maybe that Borne guy (Matt Damon) that makes all the really lame action movies can and will?

THANKS for EVERY ONES help!

Gramps
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Gramps wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Sodbuster's advice should be taken......just curious as to what gun you carry and what pocket holster..
LCP in my back pocket.
Sweaty jeans and a sweaty T shirt in summer make the pocket holster and the small pistol a good option for me.

gramps....these pocket holsters were made for the FRONT pocket...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Gramps wrote:
LCP in my back pocket.

gramps....these pocket holsters were made for the FRONT pocket...
Works just fine in my back pocket.......Real easy to get to the LCP on the hip.
Front pockets are busy with keys, cash, knife, chap stick, lighter etc anyway..... All stuff I use and don't need a pistol in the way to get to them.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *