Hostered in a vehicle

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Hostered in a vehicle

Post by Brian D. »

JonasM wrote:Your instructor hasn't kept up - the law used to be stricter than it is now, though I don't recall the specifics other than not being permitted to touch the firearm while driving. It changed a couple years ago so that there are no longer any restrictions on how the firearm is carried/stored in the vehicle. Of course, prudence should prevail - it needs to be secure and accessible, but the law places no limitations. As the previous poster said - twirling it on your finger is legal (if stupid) while driving.
Yeah, that part of the law changed in... this going off memory...2012, 2010 (?) Could have been 2008 (?) As you probably know, every two years at the end of the Ohio Legislative session, they throw us a crumb or two with pro-gun law tweaks.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I wonder if Greenleaf's instructor is current or former LEO.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

mreising wrote:I wonder if Greenleaf's instructor is current or former LEO.
Sounds like a good bet.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

He has five jobs if I recall. One is a firearms instructor for police department. Whatever that means. Operates a gun store takedown tactical in Ashland. Ownes a music store in Wellington and a firefighter. He is also a trainer in self defense.

Sounds a little overwhelming to me. I have thought about calling him or contacting him via email as to why his idea of the law is different from what is posted inside the sheriff office.

When I visited the co. Sheriff office recently, the deputy said to me that the instructor had just left so I "know" he does work with officers regularly.

If I would contact him, I have a suspicion it would not go over well. He is a factual guy and I really don't care to tell him any different.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:He has five jobs if I recall. One is a firearms instructor for police department. Whatever that means. Operates a gun store takedown tactical in Ashland. Ownes a music store in Wellington and a firefighter. He is also a trainer in self defense.

Sounds a little overwhelming to me. I have thought about calling him or contacting him via email as to why his idea of the law is different from what is posted inside the sheriff office.

When I visited the co. Sheriff office recently, the deputy said to me that the instructor had just left so I "know" he does work with officers regularly.

If I would contact him, I have a suspicion it would not go over well. He is a factual guy and I really don't care to tell him any different.
As long as you know the law, you're good to go. We don't care for instructors that give wrong information but at least his mistakes on the law won't get you arrested.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Is this the right place?

http://www.takedowntactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Is it possible you may of not understood what he said ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I literally wrote down/took notes in what he said. Also several times folks in said class asked questions so we had conversion. I did NOT ask about the law-specific questions as I was getting this info for first time from someone working in said field.

The most mind-blowing scenario/instructions/suggestion/recommendation fro him ; " be sure to keep your gun (s) under lick and key when said guns are at your home. 100% of the time"

His reasoning is safety. For you and others. And he mentioned keeping the key to your gun and or gun safe separately from gun or safe. And.........the ammo. The scenario was children get into things. And......the other scenario was folks who may break into your home while you sleep will, apparently , notify you they are doing so. He mentioned that is when you unlock ssid gun. Then you go to the hiding place for ammo. Then you load said weapon. Then, at appropriate time, you make a noise with gun in terms of racking slide. ( I still don't know what noise you make with a revolver. Do they make much noise? )

So upon that noise, they are warned you have a gun as this sound you generate from said firearm recognizing by anyone.

He did mention that you do NOT keep your firearm lock key next to the door on a hook. As this is where the intruder is.

All very odd to me me as I grew up in home with loaded firearms stashed about the home

He did mention you keep your gun loaded , next to your bed and you are likely to shoit a freind or family member who is coming into your home........late at night. .....unannounced. .....
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Yes. Takedown Tactical. There is a firearms instructor who works from that location. I believe he offers two if not three different classes for self defense involving firearms. As well as CPR/First-Aid
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Just curious, how much does the instructor charge for this wisdom?
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I thought that quite reasonable. But I have recently spoken to some other CC licencees and their class was quite a bit more but the instructor provided guns (many different types) as well as ammo. I had guns and ammo so not an issue for me.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I apologize for the misspellings. I am attempting to type this out on a small phone. It looks like I'm twelve years old when I go back and read this.... :oops:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:He has five jobs if I recall. One is a firearms instructor for police department. Whatever that means. Operates a gun store takedown tactical in Ashland. Ownes a music store in Wellington and a firefighter. He is also a trainer in self defense.

That might help explain why a lot of officers don't know the law.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
kSetuni

Post by kSetuni »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:I literally wrote down/took notes in what he said. Also several times folks in said class asked questions so we had conversion. I did NOT ask about the law-specific questions as I was getting this info for first time from someone working in said field.

The most mind-blowing scenario/instructions/suggestion/recommendation fro him ; " be sure to keep your gun (s) under lick and key when said guns are at your home. 100% of the time"

His reasoning is safety. For you and others. And he mentioned keeping the key to your gun and or gun safe separately from gun or safe. And.........the ammo. The scenario was children get into things. And......the other scenario was folks who may break into your home while you sleep will, apparently , notify you they are doing so. He mentioned that is when you unlock ssid gun. Then you go to the hiding place for ammo. Then you load said weapon. Then, at appropriate time, you make a noise with gun in terms of racking slide. ( I still don't know what noise you make with a revolver. Do they make much noise? )

So upon that noise, they are warned you have a gun as this sound you generate from said firearm recognizing by anyone.

He did mention that you do NOT keep your firearm lock key next to the door on a hook. As this is where the intruder is.

All very odd to me me as I grew up in home with loaded firearms stashed about the home

He did mention you keep your gun loaded , next to your bed and you are likely to shoit a freind or family member who is coming into your home........late at night. .....unannounced. .....
Sadly I have issue with this type of instruction. He should be stating facts of the current law, and then make it clear his opinions of safe storage or other suggestions or opinions. He should not be stating his opinions as facts. He also should be up to speed with the current laws if he is in fact going to teach them.

I would rather he give links for people to go to to look up the facts themselves, vs give out incorrect information.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

kSetuni wrote: I would rather he give links for people to go to to look up the facts themselves, vs give out incorrect information.
I will second that! My instructor needed a tune up before class on some things also.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <