Hostered in a vehicle

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hostered in a vehicle

Post by WY_Not »

Isn't that part of the CHL class requirements? They are required to either give you a copy of the OAG book or provide the link and you have to sign on the application that you have seen/read it?
kSetuni wrote:Sadly I have issue with this type of instruction. He should be stating facts of the current law, and then make it clear his opinions of safe storage or other suggestions or opinions. He should not be stating his opinions as facts. He also should be up to speed with the current laws if he is in fact going to teach them.

I would rather he give links for people to go to to look up the facts themselves, vs give out incorrect information.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Isn't that part of the CHL class requirements? They are required to either give you a copy of the OAG book or provide the link and you have to sign on the application that you have seen/read it?
kSetuni wrote:Sadly I have issue with this type of instruction. He should be stating facts of the current law, and then make it clear his opinions of safe storage or other suggestions or opinions. He should not be stating his opinions as facts. He also should be up to speed with the current laws if he is in fact going to teach them.

I would rather he give links for people to go to to look up the facts themselves, vs give out incorrect information.
Yes, it is a requirement that the instructor provide the link to the OH AG handbook, and that the applicant affirm they have read it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I received a handbook at my class. I do not recall the title of said book. We were informed to read that prior to making the appointment at Co. Sheriff office.

I do not recall, that I had to verify I had read that in anyway. Do not remember anyone asking me. It may have been on the application (?) YES OR NO question

The handbook listed some laws. I will look at that again concerning carry in a vehicle. Be interesting to see if it did mention any specifics such as "on the body: or "anywhere inside vehicle you like"
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep, Section VI, paragraph (1) right before you sign the application...
SECTION VI
AN APPLICANT WHO KNOWINGLY GIVES A FALSE ANSWER TO ANY QUESTION OR SUBMITS FALSE INFORMATION ON, OR A FALSE DOCUMENT WITH, THE APPLICATION MAY BE PROSECUTED FOR FALSIFICATION TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE, A FELONY OF THE FOURTH DEGREE, IN VIOLATION OF ORC 2921.13.

(1) I have read the publication that explains Ohio firearms laws, provides instruction in dispute resolution and explains the Ohio laws related to that matter, and provides information regarding aspects of the use of deadly force with a firearm, and I am knowledgeable of the provisions of those laws and of the information on those matters.
Might be good to review the manual and then suggest to your instructor that he does so as well.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

The manual/booklet/publication(AG Guide????) Clearly and unequivocally states "you may"

No further details outside of loaded handgun.

The CCW instructor clearly stated that it must be on your person. Must be. We, as a class, discussed that fact. For some time. He mentioned some states allow a card carrier to store and transport said firearm anywhere in said vehicle. In fact he mentioned that some states allow a holster to be employed such as inside a center concle or a door pocket. But NEVER in OHIO. said it must be concealed and must be on the body.

He further stated sometimes folks phone the store to inquire about a holster to mount inside of vehicles and informed us they are illegal in OHIO.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:The manual/booklet/publication(AG Guide????) Clearly and unequivocally states "you may"
That means "you can".
Greenleaf4902 wrote:No further details outside of loaded handgun.
Loaded long guns are not allowed to be transported in a motor vehicle, whether or not you have a license - in Ohio, it is only a "Concealed Handgun License". The only benefit is that you can have loaded long gun magazines anywhere in the vehicle you wish, even in the same compartment as the long gun. Non-licensees cannot do this.
Greenleaf4902 wrote:The CCW instructor clearly stated that it must be on your person. Must be. We, as a class, discussed that fact. For some time. He mentioned some states allow a card carrier to store and transport said firearm anywhere in said vehicle. In fact he mentioned that some states allow a holster to be employed such as inside a center concle or a door pocket. But NEVER in OHIO. said it must be concealed and must be on the body.
Your instructor is wrong - he appears to be relying on an old version of the vehicular carry law in Ohio. There has never been a requirement to conceal the handgun as far as I know - in fact, for a long time it was required to be "in plain view" as well as holstered, on your person. That was changed by Senate Bill 17, passed by the 129th General Assembly and took effect 9/30/2011. Here is the text of the bill: http://archives.legislature.state.oh.us ... _EN_N.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The the changes that are relevant to this post are found a little past half way down the page, in Sec. 2923.16 (E). The section starts "(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code", then notice that the following parts are crossed out in the linked page, meaning they were removed from Ohio law.
shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person's person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

(2) If the person is transporting or has a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle in a manner authorized under division (E)(1) of this section, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, case, bag, box, container, or glove compartment, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers while the motor vehicle is being operated on a street, highway, or public property unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has the contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(3) If the person

Compare that to the current Ohio Revised Code in 2923.16 (E), found here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(E) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

(2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle;

(3) Knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped or knowingly fail to keep the person's hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(5) Knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person's hands in plain sight.
There is no longer a requirement to carry holstered on your person in Ohio.
Greenleaf4902 wrote:He further stated sometimes folks phone the store to inquire about a holster to mount inside of vehicles and informed us they are illegal in OHIO.
Your instructor is, once again, wrong. There are no longer any restrictions on how a licensee may carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle in the state of Ohio.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Where could you go and get educated like this on CC for free other then here at OFCC..these guys are good...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Yea! For real !
There is quite a difference in the wording for sure.

Sorta makes me wanna call the gun store and ask him for a holster to mount inside my vehicle. ..........
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I sent a message to the gun store owner so that he can be made aware of the instructor's analogy of a law changed long ago.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:He further stated sometimes folks phone the store to inquire about a holster to mount inside of vehicles and informed us they are illegal in OHIO.
I purchased under the steering wheel holster mounts for my vehicles as soon as the law allowing us to carry anywhere in the vehicle passed and I've had them for some time now (can't remember exactly when that passed, but I'm not sure what I had for lunch either). Since purchasing those, I've replaced all three of my vehicles and the mounts fit only one of them now, but I still use it. Very convenient and safe if you wear a seat belt.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand