Duty to notify

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Duty to notify

Post by Brian D. »

It has always seemed to me that one way to get rid of notification would be by jamming it up the OSHP's...nose, in such a manner. They stuck that in the original law as a poison pill and I'd love to make them say uncle. If we could annoy former Governor Bob Taft at the same time, that would be my idea of a perfect day.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote:I still maintain that we should plan a huge (Trump calls it "YUGE") OFCC group trip via bus to...well, just a destination within Ohio. Get the driver to speed past an OSHP car running radar. Hopefully he'll pursue and stop us. Convince the officer to climb on the bus, maybe the bus driver could fake some hearing loss. Then, one by one, notify the trooper of our CHL status. That'll take an hour of ticket writing away from him for the day!
Who's going to be the driver who gets the ticket?
I'll kick in to pay it, who is going to get it?

That said, I think it's an excellent idea and if it ever happens, count me in
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:...
And while we were chatting, this guy walks up and introduces himself and says "I have a duty to inform you that I have an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun and I am armed. I am also a licensed Attorney At Law", and the cop made him produce his ID CHL and quizzed him about where his gun was.
He told the guy "I can see he's got a gun; if you're carrying concealed, I want to check you out"
I LOL'ed

Good times
I'm pretty certain that was Sean Maloney. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:Who's going to be the driver who gets the ticket?
I'll kick in to pay it, who is going to get it?...
I'm always feelin' the need for speed.

I would recommend finding a sobriety checkpoint, then turning around just before we get there. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WestonDon wrote:Trade the bus for an RV and run it through a OVI checkpoint. Repeatedly if necessary. Make sure salsa music is playing loudly or sing "100 bottles of beer" when approaching the checkpoint. I am so in. 8)
No, North African Rai music! :D
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

deanimator wrote: No, North African Rai music! :D
That would be justified grounds for disturbing the peace.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And everyone would have a hand-rolled tobacco cigarette tucked behind their ears? :oops: :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

[quote="qmti"]Took the dog a walk along the country walk/bike path this morning. A Deputy Sheriff was patrolling the path on his bike saying "Hi or Good Morning" to people along the path. Even stopped to have conversations with people. He rode past me and said "Hi" but if he would have stopped to talk, would I have to notify him that I have a license and have my gun on me since it was not really a violation of some sort stop?[/quote)

Well, today at 9:30am 10-3-2016 this situation did happen. Walking along the bike path between Troy and Piqua a Park Ranger on patrol stopped to talk with me. We both said good morning and then I informed him that I have CCW and that I had my weapon with me. He said "Well, I would be surprised if you didn't have it". I responded that I had a duty to inform him. He said "That's fine" and that was the end of the conversation on that topic. We then talked about ten minutes about the park district and he moved on. I finished walking the dog. The Ranger was a nice guy to talk with.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

qmti wrote:
qmti wrote:Took the dog a walk along the country walk/bike path this morning. A Deputy Sheriff was patrolling the path on his bike saying "Hi or Good Morning" to people along the path. Even stopped to have conversations with people. He rode past me and said "Hi" but if he would have stopped to talk, would I have to notify him that I have a license and have my gun on me since it was not really a violation of some sort stop?[/quote)

Well, today at 9:30am 10-3-2016 this situation did happen. Walking along the bike path between Troy and Piqua a Park Ranger on patrol stopped to talk with me. We both said good morning and then I informed him that I have CCW and that I had my weapon with me. He said "Well, I would be surprised if you didn't have it". I responded that I had a duty to inform him. He said "That's fine" and that was the end of the conversation on that topic. We then talked about ten minutes about the park district and he moved on. I finished walking the dog. The Ranger was a nice guy to talk with.
Great job but not required......IMHO.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:
qmti wrote:
qmti wrote:Took the dog a walk along the country walk/bike path this morning. A Deputy Sheriff was patrolling the path on his bike saying "Hi or Good Morning" to people along the path. Even stopped to have conversations with people. He rode past me and said "Hi" but if he would have stopped to talk, would I have to notify him that I have a license and have my gun on me since it was not really a violation of some sort stop?[/quote)

Great job but not required......IMHO.
It's also the opinion of a judge who gave a legal seminar that I attended. Someone asked him if you had to notify if a cop was just making casual conversation, which that would fall under. Of course it may not matter what this judge or even the Ohio AG thinks to some cops in some locations in the state. They only seem to care if and after it might go to court, whether criminal or civil. Has a cop ever threatened someone for failure to notify when it's not an official interaction?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It's sometimes impossible to tell if or when such a conversation might turn from casual to official-ish. I don't need extra gray area in my life so with police I don't know my verbal rarely gets beyond "Hello".

********************************************************************************
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:It's sometimes impossible to tell if or when such a conversation might turn from casual to official-ish. I don't need extra gray area in my life so with police I don't know my verbal rarely gets beyond "Hello".
My neighbor across the street is a police officer and I never tell him I'm carrying when we talk. On the other hand, I heard a car alarm going off at a home in town while driving and I stopped as I knew no one was home there and called the police. My neighbor showed up and I informed. He wasn't surprised, but he was amused. Luckily, it was just a false alarm.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
OhioGuns

Post by OhioGuns »

qmti wrote:Took the dog a walk along the country walk/bike path this morning. A Deputy Sheriff was patrolling the path on his bike saying "Hi or Good Morning" to people along the path. Even stopped to have conversations with people. He rode past me and said "Hi" but if he would have stopped to talk, would I have to notify him that I have a license and have my gun on me since it was not really a violation of some sort stop?
From my understanding and experience you'll be fine not notifying the officer for a mere hello or small talk.
docachna

Post by docachna »

OhioGuns wrote: From my understanding and experience you'll be fine not notifying the officer for a mere hello or small talk.
Until you're not fine.

That's the whole problem. It can vary by nature of conversation - by context of conversation - by location of the encounter - by visual presentation of the weapon carrier - by level of familiarity with gun laws of the LEO - by the LEO's emotional status at the time of the encounter - and on, and on, and on.

Get rid of notification. Can't TELL you how nice it is down here in TN not having to remember that crap. (Besides which, I actually DO get to see the sun more than 4 times between January 1st and March 15th). 8)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That sums it up nicely, docachna. I saw the aforementioned Cincinnati Parking Enforcement ticket writers out again downtown today, near my car. But I had time left, they were actually sort of waiting to pounce. Just before, they had tagged both a UPS and a mail truck; those of course will never be paid. Reason they were doing this? The male CPE employee was showing a new hire female the ropes.

I took a bit of my remaining time on the meter to listen to this verbal tripe about the imporetance of their work, then said hello to them. I asked a couple questions then decided the "encounter" had become "official", so I notified of my carry license and armed status, asking them how to proceed at that point.

I won't waste time posting the conversation, gist of it was the man made an extraordinary effort to assure me they weren't "law enforcement", in spite of their badges and uniform shirts that would lead many to think otherwise. He must have heard I'd done that notification thing to his colleagues in the past, and pointedly stated that I should NOT do it again in the future. (Don't worry, I know three or four genuine CPD officers in that part of the patrol area, I have told them about my act. They are greatly amused and promise it won't get me a ride to the Graybar Hotel.)

Anyhow, I "sincerely" apologized to the Parking Enforcement folks and said I'd put forth my best efforts to not make the same mistake again.