Duty to notify

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Duty to notify

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Well that was a quick response , Dave.

The only time I've ever notified was when being in a vehicle....never had to notify when out walking around and had the Sneeky Pete on at the same time.

I normally don't have a backup on me.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I still maintain that we should plan a huge (Trump calls it "YUGE") OFCC group trip via bus to...well, just a destination within Ohio. Get the driver to speed past an OSHP car running radar. Hopefully he'll pursue and stop us. Convince the officer to climb on the bus, maybe the bus driver could fake some hearing loss. Then, one by one, notify the trooper of our CHL status. That'll take an hour of ticket writing away from him for the day!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I can't recall anytime on a long time that I've ever even had a casual conversation with someone who is LE, except for a few people with whom I'm friends with, and who already know anyway.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Interesting, that happens to me regularly. But, my wife and I often to go to festivals and fairs on the weekends during nicer weather, and LEO presence is naturally more prevalent at these events. So, encountering an officer on our stroll down main street or the midway and passing the time of day is common - of course, we also tend to be a bit on the outgoing side so...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Personally, I think duty to notify is a stupid gotcha law that was put in the code to snatch up otherwise law abiding citizens because they forget to notify or are to timid to interrupt an officer during a stop. Let's be realistic here, what does the law accomplish? Does it make LEO's safer?... NO, it doesn't. And why is that? Because those that shouldn't have firearms and do,aren't going to tell an officer " I'm carrying a gun." Unless they are really stupid.

But besides this I think all LEO's should treat every situation as if the person they are stopping could be armed. Does that mean they should go crazy and start making every person they stop lie down on the ground? No, but they should be more aware when making a stop. And I am willing to be most if not all LEO are this way regardless of the duty to notify law, because they know just like I stated earlier, criminals that shouldn't have firearms are not going to tell that they do have one.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I can understand why the verbiage was included since at first glance it's a no brainer. Telling the cop you have a gun under your coat is common sense, right?

It's only that after its been in practice for the last 12 years is it found that it just doesn't do what it was thought to be designed for and hangs up the law abider. Make the cop ask me if I have a loaded firearm and be done with it.

I don't hear other states that don't have it clamoring for notification so it must be all working fine there....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

gaptrick wrote:
I don't hear other states that don't have it clamoring for notification so it must be all working fine there....
Exactly. By now there are enough states with enough different CC laws that it should be fairly easy to recognize and adopt he best practices from each.

Actually the same could be said for firearms laws in general. But I won't be holding my breath.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Alabama hasn't had a duty to notify for as long as I can remember(They may have at some point)..But i can't ever remember a time that I was stopped in Alabama(What few they were) that the officer didn't ask me if I had any weapons in the car..I think that's about standard operating procedure.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Brian D. wrote:I still maintain that we should plan a huge (Trump calls it "YUGE") OFCC group trip via bus to...well, just a destination within Ohio. Get the driver to speed past an OSHP car running radar. Hopefully he'll pursue and stop us. Convince the officer to climb on the bus, maybe the bus driver could fake some hearing loss. Then, one by one, notify the trooper of our CHL status. That'll take an hour of ticket writing away from him for the day!
You have to do it "promptly" and I don't think "one-by-one" would meet the requirement. So while you have a good idea, I don't think it would work as desired.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Would still be fun.

Even if everyone notified at the same time it would still take some time for the LEO to figure out what is going on... time not spent picking peoples pockets for victimless crimes.
OhioPaints wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I still maintain that we should plan a huge (Trump calls it "YUGE") OFCC group trip via bus to...well, just a destination within Ohio. Get the driver to speed past an OSHP car running radar. Hopefully he'll pursue and stop us. Convince the officer to climb on the bus, maybe the bus driver could fake some hearing loss. Then, one by one, notify the trooper of our CHL status. That'll take an hour of ticket writing away from him for the day!
You have to do it "promptly" and I don't think "one-by-one" would meet the requirement. So while you have a good idea, I don't think it would work as desired.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WY_Not wrote:Would still be fun.

Even if everyone notified at the same time it would still take some time for the LEO to figure out what is going on... time not spent picking peoples pockets for victimless crimes.
What you'd want is for everyone to repeatedly chant the notification in the matter of a religious invocation. And any order for you to STOP would be unlawful, since you're REQUIRED to notify, and you can't be SURE you've notified until he acknowledges YOU.

Of course he could always request that you notify individually and in [some] sequence... which again draws the process out... :D
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I'm all in, if someone lines up a bus "trip", and someone needs to be in charge of getting it BOTH on
video and audio. :twisted:

I think we should stop the buss along a major highway like we're broke down or something and wait for the OSHP to stop and do it to one of their officers, (being they are rabidly against notification going away), and show it to our gun friendly reps., using it against them.

We need to plan this thing out.......we need to figure a way out to get a cop on the bus, without getting a ticket.......what?....no ones taking this idea of a buss trip serious? :wink:
Darrel
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Trade the bus for an RV and run it through a OVI checkpoint. Repeatedly if necessary. Make sure salsa music is playing loudly or sing "100 bottles of beer" when approaching the checkpoint. I am so in. 8)
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

What I forgot to say was that instead of being an "open carry" "walk", it could be coined our first "concealed carry" "drive".

'bet some of those Ohio Carry folks would join us if we needed numbers!

Sounds like WestonDon is in! 8)
Darrel
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:...But if you were out walking and openly carrying you didn't have to notify...
But if you're one of those nutcases that open AND conceal carry, you can get officers to make some funny faces when you notify.

Don't ask me how I know. :P

LOL
We had that rally down at Arch Park in Columbus and when the cops showed up the crowd pointed them to me
I introduced myself to the lead cop and said "I probably ought to tell you that I have a license and I'm packing"
And the cop said "You don't have to tell me if you're carrying openly"
And I said "I know"
And the cop said "Oh", like he just learned something

And while we were chatting, this guy walks up and introduces himself and says "I have a duty to inform you that I have an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun and I am armed. I am also a licensed Attorney At Law", and the cop made him produce his ID CHL and quizzed him about where his gun was.
He told the guy "I can see he's got a gun; if you're carrying concealed, I want to check you out"
I LOL'ed

Good times
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)