Duty to notify

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Re: Duty to notify

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^^ That's my thinking. Maybe Mr. Culley can chime in?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

ArmedPatriots wrote:On the point of LEOs not knowing the laws they are supposed to enforce....and let me state that I dont expect ANY human being to know the ORC by heart
I don't expect a cop to know EVERY law.

I DEMAND that he know every law he's purporting to ENFORCE, RIGHT NOW.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

deanimator wrote: I don't expect a cop to know EVERY law.

Utah v. Strieff

Not only does a cop NOT have to know the law, they don't even have to follow it anymore if they do know it.

:evil:
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cops can access Google, too.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

Utah v. Strieff

Not only does a cop NOT have to know the law, they don't even have to follow it anymore if they do know it.

And when they don't, we should make it hurt, by any legal means, especially social and political.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

Utah v. Strieff

I hate it when you do that
I actually tried to read all that
Didn't make it to the second dissent

I found this gem:
"The Department of Justice recently reported that in
the town of Ferguson, Missouri, with a population of
21,000, 16,000 people had outstanding warrants against
them. "
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Chuck wrote:I found this gem:
"The Department of Justice recently reported that in
the town of Ferguson, Missouri, with a population of
21,000, 16,000 people had outstanding warrants against
them. "
I find nothing wrong with that depending on how the stat is. Hamilton County with a population of 613013 (over 18) has an estimated 125000 active warrants (not including warrants on file at individual police departments, those are just warrants on file for Cincinnati PD and the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office). Sure, your number is much higher, but I would expect that in cities such as Ferguson.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Time to mail out notifications to all the fugitives again to come in and pick up their free raffle prizes.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

kSetuni wrote:
ArmedPatriots wrote:
qmti wrote: I had a Franklin country deputy who was ok with CCW....but wanted to be notified above and beyond what the law prescribes.
I had a state trooper in Wilmington do the same. My CHL had expired ( I didn't tell him that as I didn't want the hassle with his attitude) and I was going to work at an airport and got stopped for speeding when passing a reckless vehicle on my motorcycle. The cop comes up and starts off with an attitude right from the start, goes back to his car to run my information. Then I see him running up. He is screaming at me asking where's the gun and I'm supposed to notify him that I had a gun. I calmly told him no sir I am only supposed to notify if I am armed, and I said nothing since I was not armed. He keeps berating me and acting like a complete jackass.

I looked at him and told him that I'm sorry he doesn't understand the laws he is trying to enforce but I have to know the laws better than the idiots trying to enforce them because that is the only way that I can protect my freedoms and rights. He continues screaming at me and asks if I wanted a ticket for failing to notify (again I was unarmed) I told him please do and be ready to meet me in court with his supervisors and I hope he enjoys losing some pay because I will clearly win. He comes back with a speeding ticket only. I ask him where the ticket for the failure to notify was? He responded with a smart assed remark. I said oh wait did you ask and found you that you were clearly wrong? Where si my apology for your attitude and berating me. He stormed off.

I made sure to file a complaint with his supervisor which I am sure was round filed. I hope the guy ws having a bad day, but his attitude from the start without reason showed he was one of the bad ones.

When I got my CHL renewed, the lady in Licking county was astonished and said she was glad it wasn't a licking sheriff as she would have made sure something was done since he clearly didn't know or understand the law.

I certainly hope that we can get the notify section removed at some point as it is too much of a grey area. Any contact with an officer, especially when in uniform, can be considered cause to notify since they are always on duty. If I am armed I'm going to err on the side of caution and notify just to avoid any problems later.
I didn't look to see if you did, but you should post about you experience here......

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are trying to compile a list of examples or bad experiences to show why this law need to go.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".