Exceeding 45 days becoming more common...

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Exceeding 45 days becoming more common...

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:Obama's loading up the computer system with new disqualifiers, slows things down a bit ? :|
Unlikely, since this is the *Ohio* Bureau of Criminal Investigations we are talking about.
I was under the impression the FED requirements were incorporated; no ?
If you've lived in Ohio for 5 years or more, the only 'Fed requirements' is the NICS check...and that is supposed to be "instant".
MyWifeSaidYes
High Power

Post by High Power »

Brian D. wrote:The law has no enforcement "teeth" and I assume some Sheriffs Offices are keenly aware of it.
BINGO!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:Obama's loading up the computer system with new disqualifiers, slows things down a bit ? :|
Unlikely, since this is the *Ohio* Bureau of Criminal Investigations we are talking about.
Only in that you must pass a NICS check. And as I understand it the NICS check is done by the sheriff, not BCI so if the delay is in getting the results back from BCI as is being claimed, it isn't the NICS that is the issue.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:curmudgeon3 wrote: "Obama's loading up the computer system with new disqualifiers, slows things down a bit ? :|"
If you've lived in Ohio for 5 years or more, the only 'Fed requirements' is the NICS check...and that is supposed to be "instant".
Except when it isn't of course. I still don't know what a sheriff will do when faced with a NICS delay - do they proceed in 3 days or wait for the final results?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:... I still don't know what a sheriff will do when faced with a NICS delay - do they proceed in 3 days or wait for the final results?
When NICS is used as just a background check (no firearm transfer involved), I don't think they use the Proceed/Delay/Deny method.
MyWifeSaidYes
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Ashtabula took almost 45 days back in 2004 when I obtained my first license, then about 45 Days for the first renewal. Went to Geauga County for the second renewal, and had it back in a couple days. Plus Geauga had evening and weekend hours, unlike the 3 Hour window every 2nd tuesday in Ashtabula that you could apply or pickup. Ok Ashtabulas hours aren't quite that bad, but there's no way to get there without missing work.

If you ask me the cause of the delay in Ashtabula is Sheriff Johnson. Unfortunately the other candidate didn't obtain enough votes to replace him.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Isn't this Ashtabula sheriff the same fella who said to go out and get a gun and your carry license because of the department being so short handed?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

gaptrick wrote:Isn't this Ashtabula sheriff the same fella who said to go out and get a gun and your carry license because of the department being so short handed?
I believe you may be thinking of Ashtabulas Judge Alfred Mackey.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

From December, 2015, after the San Bernadino attack:

“I have said it in the past and I said it again , people should get their conceal and carry permit and carry a gun where permitted. You don’t want to be that person hiding under the desk or in a closet waiting for someone to come rescue you. It may be too late.”
-Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones

“I encourage all law abiding citizens to get Conceal Carry Permits,” he said. “I think it’s so important that we’re turning around the permits in 24 hours. We have to arm ourselves and protect ourselves because they’re killing our families. Let’s be honest, the people who are doing this are criminals.”
-Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Castleman.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.