Another Disorderly Conduct Question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Another Disorderly Conduct Question

Post by cashman966 »

h@wk3y3 wrote:Well they conveniently delayed answers to questions and paperwork to exceed the 30 day grace period, but did tell me to file a renewal process. However the renewal process "may" be denied on the grounds the 30 days has past. Meaning I would be required to attend another training course. Which honestly isn't a big deal since it's about $50-$75 from a few instructors I know. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so they can't come back on me.

I wouldn't let them get away with that, the ORC is clear
F)(1)(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
The 30 day grace period has zero to do with renewal. Also there is no requirement that you be in possession of the expired license to renew it. Only that you, at one time, had been issued a license under 2923.125 and still meet the conditions for issue.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

h@wk3y3 wrote:...However the renewal process "may" be denied on the grounds the 30 days has past. Meaning I would be required to attend another training course...
Let me be clear about this...

NO, it does not!

HB 495 that was enacted in 2013 dropped the re-certification requirement.

If your Sheriff's office is telling you this stuff, they are wrong and you should let us know which county it is. I would like to correct them myself.

If your lawyer is telling you this stuff, get a new lawyer because yours is an idiot not up to speed on the current laws.
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
h@wk3y3 wrote:...However the renewal process "may" be denied on the grounds the 30 days has past. Meaning I would be required to attend another training course...
Let me be clear about this...

NO, it does not!

HB 495 that was enacted in 2013 dropped the re-certification requirement.

If your Sheriff's office is telling you this stuff, they are wrong and you should let us know which county it is. I would like to correct them myself.

If your lawyer is telling you this stuff, get a new lawyer because yours is an idiot not up to speed on the current laws.
Before I retired, I knew many sole pratictioners in mainly rural areas that did not keep their office ORC's updated because of the cost. If they got a paying case, they would hit the county law libraries and the xerox machine. Today, with the internet, there is no excuse for this. It was a bad idea back then, but today it's undefendable.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

schmieg wrote:Before I retired, I knew many sole pratictioners in mainly rural areas that did not keep their office ORC's updated because of the cost. If they got a paying case, they would hit the county law libraries and the xerox machine. Today, with the internet, there is no excuse for this. It was a bad idea back then, but today it's undefendable.
Hell, if you pay the annual dues for the Ohio State Bar Association, Casemaker basically gives you a whole law library at your fingertips.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Werz wrote:
schmieg wrote:Before I retired, I knew many sole pratictioners in mainly rural areas that did not keep their office ORC's updated because of the cost. If they got a paying case, they would hit the county law libraries and the xerox machine. Today, with the internet, there is no excuse for this. It was a bad idea back then, but today it's undefendable.
Hell, if you pay the annual dues for the Ohio State Bar Association, Casemaker basically gives you a whole law library at your fingertips.
That wasn't the case back in the early days. And many practitioners back then just joined the local bar association. I still belong to the OSBA, just for access to Casemaker, if for no other reason.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

schmieg wrote:
Werz wrote:
That wasn't the case back in the early days. And many practitioners back then just joined the local bar association. I still belong to the OSBA, just for access to Casemaker, if for no other reason.
I still recall the fabulous new technology of LEXIS® streaming across a green screen, a line at a time, through a 1200 baud modem.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Werz wrote:
schmieg wrote:
Werz wrote: Hell, if you pay the annual dues for the Ohio State Bar Association, Casemaker basically gives you a whole law library at your fingertips.
I still recall the fabulous new technology of LEXIS® streaming across a green screen, a line at a time, through a 1200 baud modem.
I do as well. I also recall how neat we thought those automatic typewriters were where you programmed them with cards. On the other hand, I still know a couple of country lawyers who don't have internet at their office.
-- Mike

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

schmieg wrote:On the other hand, I still know a couple of country lawyers who don't have internet at their office.
We don't do "paper" discovery anymore. As Charles Darwin observed, one must adapt or become extinct.
-- BobK