CCW while driving

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

brains

CCW while driving

Post by brains »

I have looked everywhere and trying to find the most updated info. Have had CCW for about 5 years and just recently am wanting to carry every chance I get. I am left handed and have an IWB for a MP 40c and a BG 380. I can drive comfortably with the 380 but am very uncomfortable with the 40. Can I remove the gun from my person and reholster in a vehicle mounted holster? Can I also do this with my kids in the car?
Thanks in advance
Ed
Brian D.

Re: CCW while driving

Post by Brian D. »

Legally, yes. Not while the vehicle is being driven though. And please, be conscious of muzzle direction and safe handling at all times during the transitions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Legally, yes. Not while the vehicle is being driven though.
Brian, would you mind explaining why not while the vehicle is being driven? I'm a bit confused on that (genuinely).
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

TSiWRX wrote:
Brian, would you mind explaining why not while the vehicle is being driven? I'm a bit confused on that (genuinely).
I think he's referring to the old "improper handling" offense. Wasn't that repealed? The OHP seemed to think so when they claimed that with the change in the law, people could "drive while twirling the gun on their finger"...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's what I was thinking, too..... :?:
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The prohibition against handling the firearm while in a motor vehicle was removed. That section of the ORC is more properly called something like "Possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle". A person with a CHL can transport their handgun however they like now, and can touch / handle it if they desire.

As to the "children in the car" part, my take has always been that as long as you maintain control, you are OK even with children or unlicensed persons in the vehicle with you. So, putting it in the unlocked glove box with your child in the front passenger seat, I think that could get you in trouble. Mounted under the steering wheel, you should be fine even with passengers as long as you don't leave it there when you exit the vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

TSiWRX wrote:
I am not trying to speak for Brian.

When I read this statement I took it to mean it's not the best idea to handle a firearm while driving. And it's not IMHO.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah I was trying to discourage handling while actually driving at the same time. Unless doing so becomes necessary to save your life. Like other aspects of firearms use one should try to safely practice such a thing, with (at first and mostly) an unloaded gun.

My shooting group is very experienced and we do drills that start inside a vehicle. We all practiced this stuff on our own with empty blasters long before ever trying it "hot".
Last edited by Brian D. on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. :)
brains

Post by brains »

Thanks for the quick responses. I would rather carry the 40 so if I can remove from holster and put in secure location, in my control, that would make it easier to drive. I would never leave it in car with children I only intend to be more comfortable while driving and still be able to protect myself. I need to also invest in a secure the device for when I pick kids up from school
Thanks again
Ed
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

One real-life scenario that played out in the not too distant past right here on OFCC was member adf8585's self-defense shoot back in 2011:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adf8585 wrote: the gun was a glock model 36. carrying with one in the chamber probably saved my life because i was holding myself in the car with my left hand as they were trying to pull me out of the car no way i could have racked the slide.
adf8585 wrote: it was in the middle console did not have it on me. stupid mistake
Note adf8585's initial struggle, to try to get to his weapon.

Now that you're looking to really start carrying, remember that the gun will only help you if you have the ability to access that gun.

In this instance, adf8585 had to fight to get to his gun - he got lucky, and was able to do so.

If you're going to transfer the gun from your person to a vehicle-storage/mount, you'll want to discipline yourself to re-arm before you exit, when you can legally do so. :)
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

brains wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. I would rather carry the 40 so if I can remove from holster and put in secure location, in my control, that would make it easier to drive. I would never leave it in car with children I only intend to be more comfortable while driving and still be able to protect myself. I need to also invest in a secure the device for when I pick kids up from school
Thanks again
Ed
Good deal. And I wont even begin to mention the different school ground restrictions even for a CHL holder... as I'm sure you are aware of them.

Knowing you were a passive carrier and now going full time a brush up on the laws may be in order. Some have changed the past couple years...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Have had CCW for about 5 years
Check your expiration date. :D
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Brian D. wrote:Yeah I was trying to discourage handling while actually driving at the same time. Unless doing so becomes necessary to save your life. Like other aspects of firearms use one should try to safely practice such a thing, with (at first and mostly) an unloaded gun.

My shooting group is very experienced and we do drills that start inside a vehicle. We all practiced this stuff on our own with empty blasters long before ever trying it "hot".
Be careful if you decide to carry a concealed blaster. I know our license pertains to handguns, but not aware if any court has extended it to blasters. Also, all the stormtroopers I know have a difficult time with accuracy from their blasters, so you might be better served by a more accurate type of weapon.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

SeanC wrote: Be careful if you decide to carry a concealed blaster. I know our license pertains to handguns, but not aware if any court has extended it to blasters. Also, all the stormtroopers I know have a difficult time with accuracy from their blasters, so you might be better served by a more accurate type of weapon.

Most of my childhood heroes have pretty bad aim, actually..... A-Team, G.I. Joe, etc..... :lol: