open carry letter

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ring

open carry letter

Post by Ring »

its nice to have a copy of this

Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Yes it is, if you are in Hamilton County. I highly doubt that any LEO in Medina would care what the former Hamilton County prosecutor thinks about Klein vs. Leis.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
ballistic

open carry letter

Post by ballistic »

Yes, it is nice to possess a copy of this letter - if you're in Hamilton County. To the best of my knowledge, unfortunately none of the other 87 Ohio county prosecutors have issued a similar memorandum to their respective law enforcement agencies. In fact I haven't heard of any other county prosecutor making so much as a peep about the Klein v. Leis OSC decision. If anyone has knowledge about a similar memo issued by a county prosecutor in Ohio please post to this topic.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Also, Mr. Allen is no longer the Prosecutor here in HamCo. I don't wanna "kiss and tell" about how he lost his job, but some of you remember... :shock:

Point is, dunno if Mr. Deters would hold that letter from Mr. Allen in very high regard.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Ring

Post by Ring »

ohio AG has said the same thing, but i cant find his letter our quote.. it was posted on ofcc at the time.
Ring

Post by Ring »

like this 1

While it is legal for a person to carry a weapon openly some law enforcement agencies have said such actions may prompt an arrest for inducing panic, a misdemeanor.

It is impossible to say if any particular officer will cause problems for any particular person at any particular time, but carrying openly in a rest area – while within the bounds of law – may still result in difficulties.

Mark Gribben
Director of Constituent Services
Office of Attorney General Jim Petro
There is no truth to the statement that having a concealed weapons license means you have forfeited the ability to carry openly. No one in the attorney general's office should have or would give such advice.

Mark Gribben
Director of Constituent Services
Office of Attorney General Jim Petro
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Those emails would be more hepful statewide.

medphys3

Post by medphys3 »

That was before concealed carry was passed. Now what? Since you can obtain a permit to carry concealed, they'll probably use that as an excuse to prohibit open carry.
Todd
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

medphys3 wrote:That was before concealed carry was passed. Now what? Since you can obtain a permit to carry concealed, they'll probably use that as an excuse to prohibit open carry.
Todd
That is not the case. Open carry is still legal for anyone in Ohio who is legally allowed to own a handgun whether you have a CHL or not. Toledo is a bit different since you can't open carry there without ramifications until somehow their law is struck down as unconstitutional.

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian_Horton wrote:Open carry is still legal for anyone in Ohio who is legally allowed to own a handgun whether you have a CHL or not. Toledo is a bit different since you can't open carry there without ramifications until somehow their law is struck down as unconstitutional.
Can you, please, cite for me the Toledo ordinance that prohibits open carry? I have looked for such a thing many times, but usually all I find is a general prohibition against carrying weapons that should be null and void in light of HB12.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Oops!

Post by TunnelRat »

Okay, I thought this looked familiar. We discussed this already over on the "Hypothetical" thread.

Sorry, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

I carry openly here in Toledo and I have had no problems at all! I carry open as often as I can and conceal in stores of all kinds.

Will
BB62

Post by BB62 »

williampelish wrote:I carry openly here in Toledo and I have had no problems at all! I carry open as often as I can and conceal in stores of all kinds.

Will
Where is it that you open carry? I'm not calling you out, but given the troubles that Mr. Bruce Beatty has had in Toledo, it is hard for me to concieve that someone who open carries there is able to do it very publically.

I thought Toledo was where the Chief of Police said that unless you were taking part in an open carry "Walk" you would be arrested?

BB62
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

I open carry at the gas pumps. To and from my car. Out in the Yard. Just to name a few.

Will
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

medphys3 wrote:That was before concealed carry was passed. Now what? Since you can obtain a permit to carry concealed, they'll probably use that as an excuse to prohibit open carry.
Todd
Nope. Because HB12 covered open carry as well. It shows up in the booklet. If you have a permit/CHL then your less likely to get any grief. Try it a few times. Just at the few places I mentioned. You might get some looks. BUt that is about it.

Will