CC License not returned

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Garon

Re: CC License not returned

Post by Garon »

SeanC wrote:If your friend's lawyer mistakenly let your buddy plead to misdemeanor offense of domestic violence and didn't warn him ahead of time that he would lose his firearms rights forever, that's a pretty big omission. See if the local guy can handle it, and if not, find someone who knows about firearms laws to see what can be done.
NO Domestic Violence charges are involved. I already said that. His county already gave his weapon back to him. I said I would let the forum know when he gets his license back.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Garon wrote:
SeanC wrote:If your friend's lawyer mistakenly let your buddy plead to misdemeanor offense of domestic violence and didn't warn him ahead of time that he would lose his firearms rights forever, that's a pretty big omission. See if the local guy can handle it, and if not, find someone who knows about firearms laws to see what can be done.
NO Domestic Violence charges are involved. I already said that. His county already gave his weapon back to him. I said I would let the forum know when he gets his license back.
I know what you wrote; you're not paying attention to the responses. You don't need to be convicted of "domestic violence" to be convicted of a "misdemeanor offense of domestic violence." People are also telling you that the County didn't necessarily act properly in returning your friend's firearm. State and local cops aren't always well-versed in federal firearms disabilities outside of felonies and convictions for a routine domestic violence charge. Your friend needs to do his homework.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Garon

Post by Garon »

Please Delete me from this forum. I answered the questions. I'm not posting Court info or Personnel/Names here.
rufus

Post by rufus »

Garon wrote:Please Delete me from this forum. I answered the questions. I'm not posting Court info or Personnel/Names here.
That certainly is a shame, there is at least one lawyer maybe more that were trying to help you here for free. Most of the time lawyers want money for this service but you have found one willing to give advice without pay and you just seem to resent the questions they have. Questions that have to be answered to provide any meaningful help.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I look at this entire thread and see nothing snarky, over bearing or degrading in any way. Just qualified, knowledgeable people trying to give you the correct answer to your question. Sometimes the correct answer lies among the details. Nobody here really cares what the names or docket numbers are as we have our own life issues to deal with.

Sometimes pal one doesn't get the answers they want to hear. Tell your "friend" good luck from all of us...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

You can lead a horse....
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Garon wrote:Please Delete me from this forum. I answered the questions. I'm not posting Court info or Personnel/Names here.
Here is the problem with that, and the problem I see in many of these posts: no specificity.

I realize that it's great fun to complain about "da gubmint" as a monolithic entity, but that's not how it works.

If the sheriff won't give the license back, the sheriff needs to follow the process under R.C. 2923.128(B). But that is the job of the sheriff. In too many cases, arrogant judges think they have the power to suspend, or revoke, or "hold" the the CHL of the person convicted, without regard to what the sheriff does. Those judges are acting outside their authority, but some don't care.

If you don't want to reveal more, then there is no answer to your question. If you want to just stomp off in a huff, well ... Bye, Felicia.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:... Bye, Felicia.
You are such a meaniehead. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Garon

Post by Garon »

I asked to be deleted from this forum. Whats the hold up?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

We don't delete people. We may ban people for violating terms of service. That is all.

No rule says that you have to post, though.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
docachna

Post by docachna »

Mustang380gal wrote:We don't delete people. We may ban people for violating terms of service. That is all.

No rule says that you have to post, though.
....or continue reading................. :|
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
rufus

Post by rufus »

Garon wrote:I asked to be deleted from this forum. Whats the hold up?
Thought you were leaving, what's the hold up?
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Being a moderator on a MUCH LARGER forum that has a similar rule about deletion of posts/threads I can tell you that there is a definite concern among reputable forum owners/operators about legality and/or traceability of forum content.
On that other forum items may be "deleted" as far as the regular members are concerned but those of us on staff can see all these posts/threads if we wish to read them for some reason.
If fact, the forum software keeps track of all history of the posts such that an admin (higher up the food chain than me) can get a complete history of every keystroke posted by every member since the forum was started. All in case the information is requested by way of a legally acquired warrant.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Garon wrote:I asked to be deleted from this forum. Whats the hold up?
Well now, aren't you a peach?
You come here and ask for help:
Garon wrote:. Anyone can help with this?
And in response you got lawyers, cops, and activists all helping you with your issue
Everything from explaining how the law works to possible mistakes your lawyer may have made to our compliance coordination offering to call the sheriff personally and asking what's up.

Meanwhile, from you, we have evasiveness and hostility
Sorry you don't like the answers you are being given, but the truth is often unpleasant

I bet there's groups on face book that will be all sympathetic and outraged for you, and give you no real help at all
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Back to the OP purpose, even if no DV CHARGE was ever even filed, it can still be a federal misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. Not only is the statute pretty clear, there was a near unanimous US Supreme court case backing up that interpretation. If you get arrested for disorderly conduct for telling your wife you are going to beat her...it is still disqualifying if the ruling court is aware of the actions underlying the charge. Part of the reason why background checks are never going to be perfect.

As to getting your license back, I had a runaround getting mine but ultimately prevailed, even with a Democrat for a sheriff. Same for my Pennsylvania license and this forum was VERY helpful in figuring out my way through the forest. All I had to do was be patient and willing to listen.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.