Legal question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djom1cincy

Legal question

Post by djom1cincy »

This is a Facebook group question. If out carrying you decide too have a few drinks "under .08" is it legal too unload your firearm, lock it in the trunk and still drive, transport?
Daniel
U.S.M.C. 96-00
pirateguy191

Re: Legal question

Post by pirateguy191 »

Yes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

But why even take the chance of being pulled over after drinking. You could even be involved in an accident not of your making. Officer smells alcohol and your in for a long questioning secession when he finds out you have your gun with you. And I believe you have to notify that you have it. Just don't do it.
djom1cincy

Post by djom1cincy »

Like I stated. It's a Facebook conversation.
Daniel
U.S.M.C. 96-00
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

djom1cincy wrote:Like I stated. It's a Facebook conversation.
Meaning what?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
docachna

Post by docachna »

qmti wrote:But why even take the chance of being pulled over after drinking. You could even be involved in an accident not of your making. Officer smells alcohol and your in for a long questioning secession when he finds out you have your gun with you. And I believe you have to notify that you have it. Just don't do it.
"Just don't do" what ? Unload it and put it in the trunk ? Wear it in the car ? Take it with you at all ??
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

qmti wrote:But why even take the chance of being pulled over after drinking. You could even be involved in an accident not of your making. Officer smells alcohol and your in for a long questioning secession when he finds out you have your gun with you. And I believe you have to notify that you have it. Just don't do it.
I don't think you have to notify about an unloaded firearm transported in your vehicle. (but I haven't actually looked that up lately).
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

techguy85 wrote:
I don't think you have to notify about an unloaded firearm transported in your vehicle. (but I haven't actually looked that up lately).
You don't, but generally they will ask if there are any weapons in the vehicle at which point you sorta have to answer. Some may say ignore the question and that may be fine, but remember, you are intoxicated and driving and that pretty much gives the officer the upper hand. Even a 0.1% BAC can be illegal under the law in Ohio. Remember, Ohio technically has no limit to cite under 4511.19A1A. So not playing nice with the officer can put you in a pinch later on.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If you have a CHL and are armed, but want to quaff a few at the local public house, unload and store your firearm as if you did not have a CHL.

When you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose, you will have no duty to notify under any law.

IF a LEO asks you if you have any guns in the car, I would not advise lying. It is not a crime to have an unloaded gun stored in your car while you are under the influence of alcohol.

The crime is BEING under the influence of alcohol.

If you don't feel that one drink puts you "under the influence", I'm sure the LEO can arrange a meeting with a judge for you to make that argument.

For heaven's sake, find some will power and have a Coke. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:For heaven's sake, find some will power and have a Coke. :wink:
It would take an extreme emergency for me to drive anywhere after one beer at home without a firearm let alone with one in my car loaded or not.
IMHO the wise thing is not to drink anything other than a soda (I like Vernor's) and drive

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Gramps wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:For heaven's sake, find some will power and have a Coke. :wink:
It would take an extreme emergency for me to drive anywhere after one beer at home without a firearm let alone with one in my car loaded or not.
IMHO the wise thing is not to drink anything other than a soda (I like Vernor's) and drive

Gramps

Tend to agree with you Gramps. I've been in and around Logan Co. all my life & in my younger days,spent plenty of money in the bars at Indian Lake. Now,due to the increase in LEO the area,I'll have a diet soda please.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Tru-Heathen wrote: in my younger days,spent plenty of money in the bars at Indian Lake. Now,due to the increase in LEO the area,I'll have a diet soda please.
I know that plenty of money spent in bars habit. Things are NOT like they used to be...... I could tell a couple stories about the old time when the police would let me drive home with a stern warning. NO WAY TODAY will that happen. (Well, if it is your brother Mr. policeman maybe)

Just not worth the risk. I like my freedom, money, don't like courtrooms and really enjoy my ability to drive when and where I want too.

Grew up or wised up I guess many years ago

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If you have a CHL and are armed, but want to quaff a few at the local public house, unload and store your firearm as if you did not have a CHL.

When you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose, you will have no duty to notify under any law.

IF a LEO asks you if you have any guns in the car, I would not advise lying. It is not a crime to have an unloaded gun stored in your car while you are under the influence of alcohol.
:wink:
"Officer, there are no loaded guns in the car."

"Sir, that's not what I asked"

"Officer, that's my answer." (after that, silence)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Gramps wrote:

Gramps
One beer, lol. Who drinks one beer?
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

SeanC wrote:
Gramps wrote:

Gramps
One beer, lol. Who drinks one beer?
One 40 oz...one giant Oktoberfest mug..etc
Give em' Hell Pike!!!