Denied rights by employer

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Opota6970

Denied rights by employer

Post by Opota6970 »

I'm a contractual employee of a newspaper company. I am being told I am not allowed to carry my firearm in an unposted parking lot. I was told to "keep it locked in my car". Or risk loss of my job. Just wanted everyone's thoughts.
djthomas

Re: Denied rights by employer

Post by djthomas »

Sounds like you're doing better than 90% of Ohioans who work for private employers.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Posted or not, they have given you notice.

Their property, their rules, their rights.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Is it a parking lot that belongs to your employer ? His property, his rules....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

The fact they're giving you the option to keep it locked in your car is a better shake than most get.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Tread softly my friend, Ohio is an At-Will state. You can be fired for any reason...

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Out of all the employers I worked for over the decades, only one allowed concealed carry of any kind of weapons, even pepper spray, not just guns. I couldn't even carry a little mag light. I'm not counting armed security agencies obviously.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Although I am a firm believer that personal protection against death and/or great bodily harm to and from work trumps property owners rights every time, it is not the law.

Someday in Ohio... but sadly not today.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Opota6970 wrote:I'm a contractual employee of a newspaper company. I am being told I am not allowed to carry my firearm in an unposted parking lot. I was told to "keep it locked in my car". Or risk loss of my job. Just wanted everyone's thoughts.
First, welcome to the forum !!

Second, if the parking lot is owned by your employer, what everyone else said applies.

Third, I am very sorry that you were not able to visit this site BEFORE talking to you employer or co-workers about your firearm ownership.

We used to have a very bright man as part of our forum family who would have set you straight. His name was Bill, but even in person folks referred to him by his forum handle: Tweed Ring.

Here is a link to a posting of "Tweed's Rules for Employees"
MyWifeSaidYes
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Why did you tell them you carry? For future readers, keep that stuff to yourself.
-Aaron
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Opota6970 wrote:I'm a contractual employee of a newspaper company. I am being told I am not allowed to carry my firearm in an unposted parking lot. I was told to "keep it locked in my car". Or risk loss of my job. Just wanted everyone's thoughts.
You'll have to decide if you value your safety or your money more. Sadly Ohio places a greater value on things than human life. I hope that changes but that is the way things are today.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No they place a higher value on protecting a person's rights. If YOU want to make those kinds of decisions then YOU are free to buy some property, start a business, and put YOUR decision into action for YOUR employees.

The decision of safety vs money/things is entirely on you. No one is forcing anyone to work in a place where they don't like the rules. Using the power of the state however to change those rules is nothing more than stripping away the rights of someone else because you don't like the decision they've made regarding their property.
Kenosis wrote:You'll have to decide if you value your safety or your money more. Sadly Ohio places a greater value on things than human life. I hope that changes but that is the way things are today.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

WY_Not wrote:No they place a higher value on protecting a person's rights. If YOU want to make those kinds of decisions then YOU are free to buy some property, start a business, and put YOUR decision into action for YOUR employees.

The decision of safety vs money/things is entirely on you. No one is forcing anyone to work in a place where they don't like the rules. Using the power of the state however to change those rules is nothing more than stripping away the rights of someone else because you don't like the decision they've made regarding their property.
Kenosis wrote:You'll have to decide if you value your safety or your money more. Sadly Ohio places a greater value on things than human life. I hope that changes but that is the way things are today.
Denying someone's rights (RKBA) is not the act of protecting rights. It is, in fact, the exact opposite.

And my buying property doesn't make me legally able to carry past someone else's sign, so that's not a solution.
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Kenosis wrote: Denying someone's rights (RKBA) is not the act of protecting rights. It is, in fact, the exact opposite.
Actually, it's protecting (rightly IMO, YMMV) the property owner's right to choose how his property is and isn't used.

Sometimes the rights of parties A and B conflict and someone has to "win".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

westsidebestside wrote:
Kenosis wrote: Denying someone's rights (RKBA) is not the act of protecting rights. It is, in fact, the exact opposite.
Actually, it's protecting (rightly IMO, YMMV) the property owner's right to choose how his property is and isn't used.

Sometimes the rights of parties A and B conflict and someone has to "win".
There is no conflict of rights here. You do not have the right to enter into someone else's property. You may be given privilege to do so if you meet the requirements of the property owner. There could be many such requirements: $x.xx entry fee. No shirt, no shoes, no service. No weapons... You may not like it, but that's too bad.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!