List your notification horror stories here

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Kenosis

Re: List your notification horror stories here

Post by Kenosis »

I sincerely hope the duty to inform is removed asap. I feel it's an unreasonable search and clear 4th Amendment violation.

The real kick in the nuts is someone illegally carrying a gun does NOT have to inform police, as that's self incrimination.
jnor

Post by jnor »

I've always thought this should have been addressed before "restaurant carry".......
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

jnor wrote:I've always thought this should have been addressed before "restaurant carry".......
Orlando highlights the danger of the 51% rule a lot of states have on restaurant carry. Here in Ohio we aren't so hamstrung.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Orlando highlights the danger of allowing government at any level to stick its nose into what should be a matter for a private business/individual to decide.
Morne wrote:Orlando highlights the danger of the 51% rule a lot of states have on restaurant carry. Here in Ohio we aren't so hamstrung.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

[quote="Mr. Glock"]Notification is either a non-issue for the officer or a big deal for the officer. In the end, it doesn't matter as every officer on every stop should assume there is at least one gun in the car anyway.

I was sitting at home one night, and my wife and I heard a loud bang. It was a cold and icy night in winter, and my house looked out over a main village street. I couldn't see anything in particular, but did see a car parked in my neighbor's driveway, perfectly parked but it hadn't been there earlier. I was armed at the time, so I threw on my coat and, with my wife observing from the house with the phone in hand, I ventured out. It was a loud bang, and deserved some investigation

Long story short, an older woman driver had slide on the icy road, hit the telephone pole outside my house and the car ended up in my neighbor's driveway, looking like it was perfectly parked. She was in shock, and the back of the SUV was missing glass etc.

My wife called 911, and I flagged down the first responding officer (remember, the car looked like it was parked). In the meantime, I was talking to the driver, keeping her calm.

And then, I had to notify.

So, the officer had to stop, examine me visually, and then decide on a course of action. He ended up telling me to return to my porch.

And then the officer had to figure out the whole situation on his own. Since I had been chatting with the women, I had information that would have been valuable in an emergency situation.

But, due to notification, I was immediately ordered off the scene by the officer.

Luckily, this was not a life or death situation for the driver. The time wasted with the notification, officer decisions and then the officer tracking my movements was wasted time in an emergency situation. Kind of silly, actually, since I would hardly announce an armed ambush if that was my intent. Also, I had asertained information that the responding ambulance squad might have found useful, such as injury location etc.

Wasn't a horror story for me in particular, but could have been for the driver of she'd been more seriously injured.[/quo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IS is not the law that you only need to"Notify" When you are Stopped for law enforcment purpose? Not when you see someone with a uniform or badge?
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Dave44142 wrote:IS is not the law that you only need to"Notify" When you are Stopped for law enforcment purpose? Not when you see someone with a uniform or badge?
You are correct, the law says "stopped for a law enforcement purpose" but many have expanded that to mean any official interaction with law enforcement to be on the safe side. It is enough of a grey area that many don't want to unwittingly end up on the wrong side of an interaction - and I can hardly blame them. Mandatory notification needs to go.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
Dave44142 wrote:IS is not the law that you only need to"Notify" When you are Stopped for law enforcment purpose? Not when you see someone with a uniform or badge?
You are correct, the law says "stopped for a law enforcement purpose" but many have expanded that to mean any official interaction with law enforcement to be on the safe side. It is enough of a grey area that many don't want to unwittingly end up on the wrong side of an interaction - and I can hardly blame them. Mandatory notification needs to go.
And it's not much of a mental stretch for me to imagine that in Dave's situation, that same officer would unhesitatingly arrest a CHL holder for not notifying, if he found out while there during the wreck investigation, somehow. Ordering Dave off the scene in that manner makes this particular officer seem like a dipstick to me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

JustaShooter wrote:

Calling into 911 pretty much makes any LE interaction after that point "an official interaction", relating to that call. Further, even if I had not called, an LEO investigating a call about a crash would also be approaching me in "an official capacity". In both cases, a law enforcement purpose.

If you don't think that might be the same as "Stopped of Law Enforcement Purposes", just try walking away without saying anything to the officer when he queries you. If they then verbally stop you, you've already started the notification clock ticking and you are getting a bit late in the game to notify (as well as ratcheting up the responding officer's stress level on a cold, dark night, which is never a good thing).

Street lawyering never works out too well, so a slightly broader definition of "stopped for law enforcement purposes" and when to quickly notify can usually be a good thing. Until notification is gone, of course.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

I have a story. :D
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

Calling into 911 pretty much makes any LE interaction after that point "an official interaction", relating to that call. Further, even if I had not called, an LEO investigating a call about a crash would also be approaching me in "an official capacity". In both cases, a law enforcement purpose.

If you don't think that might be the same as "Stopped of Law Enforcement Purposes", just try walking away without saying anything to the officer when he queries you. If they then verbally stop you, you've already started the notification clock ticking and you are getting a bit late in the game to notify (as well as ratcheting up the responding officer's stress level on a cold, dark night, which is never a good thing).

Street lawyering never works out too well, so a slightly broader definition of "stopped for law enforcement purposes" and when to quickly notify can usually be a good thing. Until notification is gone, of course.
You will notice I never disagreed with your approach, and in fact noted that I could hardly blame those that follow a generous interpretation. That word "stopped" *should* mean an involuntary official interaction (as "stopped" is generally interchangeable with "detained" as I understand it), but I and others have long ago decided not to try to be the test case for such an interpretation. That and other issues are what give mandatory notification a big grey area fraught with peril, and as such, it just needs to go.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I was just expanding, not trying to correcting anyone. :wink:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote: You will notice I never disagreed with your approach, and in fact noted that I could hardly blame those that follow a generous interpretation. That word "stopped" *should* mean an involuntary official interaction (as "stopped" is generally interchangeable with "detained" as I understand it), but I and others have long ago decided not to try to be the test case for such an interpretation. That and other issues are what give mandatory notification a big grey area fraught with peril, and as such, it just needs to go.
If notification serves a purpose (which I dispute), then those situations where the citizen stops the officer might be more dangerous in this day and age than the converse.

However, I sincerely doubt that anyone who plans to shoot an officer will notify in either event. The sad thing is that even if we put the onus on the officer to ask, those of ill will still won't notify unless they think there might be reasonable grounds to be searched.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Last call for horror stories.

I am compiling a master list to take with us for next week's advocacy day. I expect it to be...bulky... :mrgreen:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Morne wrote:Last call for horror stories.

I am compiling a master list to take with us for next week's advocacy day. I expect it to be...bulky... :mrgreen:

A few post's above this one, rDigital posted as though he had an issue with LE regarding notification and I PM'ed him about it, so hopefully he see's it and post's .....soon.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Morne wrote:If you have been harassed/arrested/charged/convicted of "failure to notify" about your armed status as a concealed handgun licensee in Ohio please give the details in this thread. Links to court cases would be particularly helpful.

If you aren't comfortable doing so in an open forum you can also PM me.

We've got some ideas on this law (that desperately needs changing) and need the evidence of abuse compiled together in order to make a move with it. Your help in this matter is essential!
My son and I were at Moore Park in Bryan the other day playing with Nerf guns. Someone called the police claiming we were shooting real guns at squirrels.

I am not a licencee and thus did not inform upon contact. The officer noted our Nerf guns and called the whole thing off.

Seriously people? I'm playing with a toy with my pre-teen child and you call the {inappropriate language} cops? What the hell is wrong with you?