List your notification horror stories here

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: List your notification horror stories here

Post by Mustang380gal »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Morne:

Should this be stickied at the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost ?

This might also belong in other sub-forums too, like Tweed Rings forum...as it DOES have to do w/ getting legislation passed.

And it might also belong in the Real Life Encounters forum....well maybe not.....but having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving. It was a "real life encounter" to me....just say'in.
I made this a sticky.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mustang380gal wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Morne:

Should this be stickied at the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost ?

This might also belong in other sub-forums too, like Tweed Rings forum...as it DOES have to do w/ getting legislation passed.

And it might also belong in the Real Life Encounters forum....well maybe not.....but having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving. It was a "real life encounter" to me....just say'in.
I will make this a sticky. I think I can make it universal.
Yep...exactly, so no matter where you go it's the same thread.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving.
Is your story in the above list? If not, you might want to recount it here.
No it's not. I didn't post about it on OFCC's forums but I will when I get time.
Darrel
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Lorain councilman arrested for not notifying.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47954

Linndale cop tells forum user he should have notified even though he was not armed.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82246
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, seeing as how this happened 20 minutes ago, and is somewhat topical, I'll contribute something positive to the thread after all:

Cincinnati Parking Enforcement was very active on Walnut Street downtown today, where I was parked to patronize Straus Tobacconist. None of the 30 minute pay-with-coin-or-credit-card meters were available, so I used one of the ten minute (single use per visit, technically) meter spots. Before the enforcement chaps came along, I admittedly had turned the handle to refresh it, once. They came by, saw it had time left, and moved on. But, they were waiting to come back as it turns out. A kind sole outside, whose company gets its work trucks tagged constantly, must have given the meter another turn when he saw the parking ticketers headed back. So, they came into the store to see who my vehicle belonged to.

Hence, I went outside and told them I'd be glad to leave, regardless of the time left. But I used those few minutes to have a little conversation, more or less as follows:

Me: "I was wondering, are you guys, technically, law enforcement officials?"

PE guy #1: "What do you mean?"

Me: "Well, if you are, I'm a concealed carry licensee, and under Ohio Revised Code I have to notify you of that when I am armed. Which as it happens, I am."

PE guy #1 {after they both looked blankly at each other for more than a few seconds}: "Well, we are law enforcement of a kind, parking enforcement, but I don't think you'd have to notify us."

Me: "Are you sure?"

PE guy #2: "Uh, we've never been told one way or the other. It's never come up before."

I spent the rest of my meter-mandated minutes speaking with them about the shrinking availability of street parking downtown. Specifically how badly it was hurting some of the small businesses who rely on it for their customers who don't work or live downtown already, and my negative opinion of the situation. But that's off topic.

Since these parking enforcement folks aren't sworn LEO's with guns, arrest powers, etc., I'm reasonably sure that notification isn't required. But, consider those many, many folks not so well acquainted with Ohio laws: Around the state we have everything from unarmed parking enforcement, (these guys today had CPD-style badges, radios, but no guns) to cops tasked with the same duties, often in similar uniforms. We have some Park Rangers who ARE sworn LE, have arrest powers, etc. but don't carry guns because their administrators don't allow it. However, many if not most city, township, county, and state Park Rangers ARE sworn and armed. It is more than barely possible to not even know WHO must be notified.

Add all this to finding a troubling amount of ignorance (or worse) about notification requirements among the LE community in Ohio, even after 12 years. To me it's obviously a problem that would be best solved by outright elimination.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:Okay, seeing as how this happened 20 minutes ago, and is somewhat topical, I'll contribute something positive to the thread after all:

Cincinnati Parking Enforcement was very active on Walnut Street downtown today, where I was parked to patronize Straus Tobacconist. None of the 30 minute pay-with-coin-or-credit-card meters were available, so I used one of the ten minute (single use per visit, technically) meter spots. Before the enforcement chaps came along, I admittedly had turned the handle to refresh it, once. They came by, saw it had time left, and moved on. But, they were waiting to come back as it turns out. A kind sole outside, whose company gets its work trucks tagged constantly, must have given the meter another turn when he saw the parking ticketers headed back. So, they came into the store to see who my vehicle belonged to.

Hence, I went outside and told them I'd be glad to leave, regardless of the time left. But I used those few minutes to have a little conversation, more or less as follows:

Me: "I was wondering, are you guys, technically, law enforcement officials?"

PE guy #1: "What do you mean?"

Me: "Well, if you are, I'm a concealed carry licensee, and under Ohio Revised Code I have to notify you of that when I am armed. Which as it happens, I am."

PE guy #1 {after they both looked blankly at each other for more than a few seconds}: "Well, we are law enforcement of a kind, parking enforcement, but I don't think you'd have to notify us."

Me: "Are you sure?"

PE guy #2: "Uh, we've never been told one way or the other. It's never come up before."

I spent the rest of my meter-mandated minutes speaking with them about the shrinking availability of street parking downtown. Specifically how badly it was hurting some of the small businesses who rely on it for their customers who don't work or live downtown already, and my negative opinion of the situation. But that's off topic.

Since these parking enforcement folks aren't sworn LEO's with guns, arrest powers, etc., I'm reasonably sure that notification isn't required. But, consider those many, many folks not so well acquainted with Ohio laws: Around the state we have everything from unarmed parking enforcement, (these guys today had CPD-style badges, radios, but no guns) to cops tasked with the same duties, often in similar uniforms. We have some Park Rangers who ARE sworn LE, have arrest powers, etc. but don't carry guns because their administrators don't allow it. However, many if not most city, township, county, and state Park Rangers ARE sworn and armed. It is more than barely possible to not even know WHO must be notified.

Add all this to finding a troubling amount of ignorance (or worse) about notification requirements among the LE community in Ohio, even after 12 years. To me it's obviously a problem that would be best solved by outright elimination.
The point Brian's making is another issue also.

Think I saw a post by MWSY a while back, from the ORC, (unless I'm imagining things), that states all the gov. employee's that we carriers have to notify. It's not just your everyday leo.

Hope he see's this post.
Darrel
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don 't think that's what he said,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mostly just pointing out that it's not always as clear cut who is or isn't an LEO. Hence, who we need to notify. Those guys from the other morning had "Cincinnati Parking Enforcement" on their shirts. Except for that and lack of sidearms they dressed MUCH like police officers that sometimes walk beats or ride bikes downtown.

A few days before that I saw four men loading large, square shaped plastic orange crowd barriers off the sidewalks and into a box truck after Memorial Day weekend. These guys had on blue pants and gray t-shirts, the shirts had very small CPD logos on them. A closer look and they were carrying their M&P's, but not in duty rigs. Those guys wouldn't be readily "made" as police officers by most people.

If I traveled to, say Cleveland, Columbus, and Youngstown, I'd probably find cops (and city employees that turned out NOT to be cops) dressed differently from any of what I rattled off above about Cincinnati. More confusion for CHL holders. In suburban and rural settings I've seen Park Rangers that were sometimes LE, sometimes not, in the same park, dressed about alike. And as stated, there are some sworn officers working as Park Rangers for administrations that don't let them carry a firearm. (I'd go be a police officer someplace else, that kind of policy sucks and should be unlawful!)

Add to all this, some security guards these days that seem to dress a lot like police. More than what the ORC says they should, I think.

********************************************************************************
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Brian D. wrote:
Add to all this, some security guards these days that seem to dress a lot like police. More than what the ORC says they should, I think.
I've seen private security guards wearing "Police" t-shirts. They are NOT police.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
I've seen private security guards wearing "Police" t-shirts. They are NOT police.
Yes sir, that was one practice I was alluding to. Very confusing to many people. Shouldn't be happening.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Yes sir, that was one practice I was alluding to. Very confusing to many people. Shouldn't be happening.
Here in Cincy we had (past tense) the "Cincinnati Private Police"....who I always had a hard time taking seriously as official LEO's.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay gang think my point about "Is you or ain't you a cop?" has been well made, thanks. Let's drift the thread back to notification horror stories, okay? Until the next drift anyhow. :wink:

jinxer

Post by jinxer »

dude i know got hassled in yellow springs, ohio.

claimed he was pulled over for speed, notified, and was asked to exit vehicle with hands in the air.

cop pulled out gun from my friends holsterr on his person, put it on car (like it was booze or drugs) and asked him to spread eagle. patted him down.

they radioed in his license, checked it all out, and then issued him a citation for speed before letting him go.

the cops need to not rely on someone to 'notify' . for their own safety, they should treat everyone as if they are armed.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rickt wrote:Lorain councilman arrested for not notifying.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47954

Linndale cop tells forum user he should have notified even though he was not armed.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82246
Here's an interesting follow up to the first link, about the current Democratic councilman.

http://www.morningjournal.com/article/m ... /150329669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 2010, Flores was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon. Although Flores had a CCW permit, officers said he failed to promptly inform them he was carrying a gun, as required by law, when they questioned him in the area of West 10th Street and Long Avenue, according to police records. Flores pleaded no contest to the charge, was fined $433.10 and his gun was returned.
“I’m a proud member of the Democratic Party,” said Smith, adding he has been a Democratic precinct committeeman for more than 20 years. “That’s not the only reason I think I should be elected, but I’m proud of being a Democrat.”
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving.
Is your story in the above list? If not, you might want to recount it here.
No it's not. I didn't post about it on OFCC's forums but I will when I get time.
....and here's what happened, (I didn't have my recorder w/ me that day). :oops:

I was having one of my commercial trucks inspected by the Health dept, (they inspect the bed and the co. sheriff's dept. inspects the rest of the truck.....lights, turn signals etc.)
I pulled into the lot for inspection, the two health dept. people walked up to my truck door and they started a conversation w/ me about my paper work, the deputy DID NOT walk up to my door or start any kind of conversation w/ me but instead he walked behind my truck and started his part of the inspection. I exited my truck to finish the paper work w/ the health dept personell, at which point, I WAS OPENLY CARRYING MY FIREARM, and when finished walked around to the back of my truck to speak w/ the deputy, which was the first contact we both had w/ each other.

At that time he asked me to get in my truck so he could check the lights, horn, etc. and when I got out of my truck that's when everything seemed to go south.

He called me to the back of the truck and asked if I was trying to get myself arrested for not notifying him I was carrying and then told me how he "should" arrest me, take my gun and have my truck towed and I told him I didn't have to notify and asked him how he had me on that , but he wouldn't say. All he kept saying was that he should arrest me. I do remember telling him something to the effect that " Maybe he had me, maybe not" and I stuck my hands out and said go ahead and arrest me if he thought he had me.

Then he changed the subject and said lets see if your plates are commercial plates,(they were). :roll: . Then he tries to tell me i can't carry a gun in a commercial truck...."MY" commercial truck which "I" owned......then I leaned against my truck and argued w/ him about that and told him to show me were in the laws that I can't. Then he tells me to wait while he goes and checks on it, (he goes to his car and calls another deputy to inquire about the law, which I know he did through a records request I asked for later that day). After he's done , he gets out of his car and says, as I remember it, "he can't find anything that says I cant carry in a comm. truck but still isn't sure about it" ! :shock:

Now I had a couple minor infractions in regards to my truck but nothing major and I said something to the effect that if he was finished I was leaving and asked if he wanted to see my drivers lic, reg. and ins., (looking back, I don't know why I offered that but I did have it in hand), and then he got smart w/ me again and said for me to leave before he DOES write me up for something. Yes....I left!

I called the sheriff's dept later that day and a Major returned my call a day later because he found out I made a records request regarding audio and video of the incident, (there was no video or audio of what happened outside his cruiser, just his conversation w/ the other deputy on his radio). He asked for my account of what happened and said his deputy was wrong on all accounts. He told me the deputies account and my account of what happened matched up exactly. The major and I had a little more conversation about it , but that's about it.

I'm sure there was more said that I have forgotten and there's a few things that I remember, that I left out, but that's about the jist of.

I did call Justashooter and MWSY regarding this as soon as I got home so they are aware of it....at least my side of the story anyway.
Darrel