List your notification horror stories here

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

List your notification horror stories here

Post by Morne »

If you have been harassed/arrested/charged/convicted of "failure to notify" about your armed status as a concealed handgun licensee in Ohio please give the details in this thread. Links to court cases would be particularly helpful.

If you aren't comfortable doing so in an open forum you can also PM me.

We've got some ideas on this law (that desperately needs changing) and need the evidence of abuse compiled together in order to make a move with it. Your help in this matter is essential!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: List your notification horror stories here

Post by Javelin Man »

Well, one day I was stopped by Officer Harless, and I didn't get a chance to notify right away.... :wink:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I've been annoyed at messy (read: multiple officers required) accident scenes where one of the involved has a license. These poor folks are so shaken from the accident that sometimes they're notifying each officer individually (as the law requires), multiple times (because they can't remember whom they've spoken to), even if they're not carrying (better safe than sorry). Occasionally they'll notify the EMTs too because well, they have badges too, and stress being what it is and all...

Not a horror story but it's just a bunch of unnecessary stress on the licensee and chitter chatter on the scene.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sorry, Morne, as a "charter member" I have seen these threads several times before, and ultimately it's lead to nothing. Why will this one be any different? And if you're planning on doing something before the end of this legislative session, the discussion should have started at least a year ago.

How's about our President and Vice President respond to my questions here, today? Get that done, for all to see, and I'll start taking this seriously.

It's no swipe at you by the way, Mr. Deekin. Can you honestly state that you have been totally green lighted to helm this effort without oversight, through the statehouse and Governor's desk?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:Sorry, Morne, as a "charter member" I have seen these threads several times before, and ultimately it's lead to nothing. Why will this one be any different? And if you're planning on doing something before the end of this legislative session, the discussion should have started at least a year ago.

How's about our President and Vice President respond to my questions here, today? Get that done, for all to see, and I'll start taking this seriously.

It's no swipe at you by the way, Mr. Deekin. Can you honestly state that you have been totally green lighted to helm this effort without oversight, through the statehouse and Governor's desk?
Well aren't you just a peach?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We've all prattled on and on about notification for years, I'm guilty of that too. But what exactly, at this time, is OFCC planning to do about it?

In answer to your question, no, I'm more of a sour grape.

********************************************************************************
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:We've all prattled on and on about notification for years, I'm guilty of that too. But what exactly, at this time, is OFCC planning to do about it?

This thread is for people to list their individual experiences about notification. If you want to gripe, find somewhere else. If you want to interrogate me, find another medium to do so.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Ok, well not really a "horror" story, I was pulled over in some podunk town along I-80/90 east of Cleveland a few years ago. It was fairly early in the morning with not much traffic and I was on my way to my then-duty station for an active duty stint. As I was in uniform and on my way to report for duty on an military installation, I was unarmed and did not even have a firearm in my vehicle.

After waiting on the side of the road for several minutes for the officer to approach, he finally came up, with his hand on his firearm, and his opening comment was "aren't you supposed to be notifying me of something?"

Well, since I had not yet been "approached" and had the opportunity to notify, um...no. Moreover, I was not armed and under no obligation to do so. I informed him of the fact that I was not carrying and the stop proceeded normally without any further notable incident.

Again, not a "horror" story as that was the end of it, but it does underscore the question of why I must notify regarding a situation about which he was clearly already aware. Moreover, this requirement increased anxiety during an already tense situation (for both parties) when, even if I had been armed, this particular officer on this particular stop had absolutely nothing to fear.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Morne wrote:
Brian D. wrote:We've all prattled on and on about notification for years, I'm guilty of that too. But what exactly, at this time, is OFCC planning to do about it?

This thread is for people to list their individual experiences about notification. If you want to gripe, find somewhere else. If you want to interrogate me, find another medium to do so.
We've seen these stories listed on here for years already.

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote:
Morne wrote:

We've seen these stories listed on here for years already.
Then how about YOU go round them all up for us?
Do something productive instead of trying to talk people out of helping us with this
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I was stopped in Rocky River a few years ago while unarmed. Cop asked me if I had forgotten anything, and I told him no, that I was unarmed.

It should have ended there, but per SOP he wanted to "push the envelope" and insist that I notify when NOT armed, to which I replied "no". He kept on, at which point I said I'd "take it under advisement", which if he had two brain cells to rub together, he should have taken as, "BITE ME".

The law REQUIRES you to notify WHEN ARMED. It follows like the night follows the day, that cops will then demand that you notify when NOT armed.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Notification is either a non-issue for the officer or a big deal for the officer. In the end, it doesn't matter as every officer on every stop should assume there is at least one gun in the car anyway.

I was sitting at home one night, and my wife and I heard a loud bang. It was a cold and icy night in winter, and my house looked out over a main village street. I couldn't see anything in particular, but did see a car parked in my neighbor's driveway, perfectly parked but it hadn't been there earlier. I was armed at the time, so I threw on my coat and, with my wife observing from the house with the phone in hand, I ventured out. It was a loud bang, and deserved some investigation

Long story short, an older woman driver had slide on the icy road, hit the telephone pole outside my house and the car ended up in my neighbor's driveway, looking like it was perfectly parked. She was in shock, and the back of the SUV was missing glass etc.

My wife called 911, and I flagged down the first responding officer (remember, the car looked like it was parked). In the meantime, I was talking to the driver, keeping her calm.

And then, I had to notify.

So, the officer had to stop, examine me visually, and then decide on a course of action. He ended up telling me to return to my porch.

And then the officer had to figure out the whole situation on his own. Since I had been chatting with the women, I had information that would have been valuable in an emergency situation.

But, due to notification, I was immediately ordered off the scene by the officer.

Luckily, this was not a life or death situation for the driver. The time wasted with the notification, officer decisions and then the officer tracking my movements was wasted time in an emergency situation. Kind of silly, actually, since I would hardly announce an armed ambush if that was my intent. Also, I had asertained information that the responding ambulance squad might have found useful, such as injury location etc.

Wasn't a horror story for me in particular, but could have been for the driver of she'd been more seriously injured.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ladies & gentlemen,

First, please stop criticizing the efforts of the organization.

Second, please stop criticizing Brian D. for his perfectly justified concerns regarding the organization.

Third, while I applaud each and every person that works to promote and advance the gun rights of all Ohioans, I must say this:

When it comes to this forum, all y'all ought to do something besides moan and complain.

Here, I spent 5 minutes searching JUST past topics on this forum and came up with some anecdotal evidence:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4280283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4271694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4270239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4269694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4212509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4207514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4144828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4141199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4126495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4126077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4122746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4112742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4109906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4093340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... &p=4093179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's move forward, shall we?
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Morne:

Should this be stickied at the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost ?

This might also belong in other sub-forums too, like Tweed Rings forum...as it DOES have to do w/ getting legislation passed.

And it might also belong in the Real Life Encounters forum....well maybe not.....but having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving. It was a "real life encounter" to me....just say'in.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:having a cop go all spastic on ya like one did to me over notification was a bit un-nerving.
Is your story in the above list? If not, you might want to recount it here.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!