Your favorite gun store

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Your favorite gun store

Post by Brian D. »

I try to ask FFL dealers about that at gun shows. Kind of a quick way to survey a decent amount of shops. The number who accept the post-March 23 2015 Ohio CHL as NICS-compliant and don't call/email in (after the 4473 is filled out of course) seems to be growing. But of course, many of them were anxious to make the switch since there are weekends that the system is very busy and time consuming. Kind of a pain when you've got a customer who might live 100+ miles from the FFL's shop waiting there, he/she isn't going to want to drop by the store days later, because of the snafu, to actually pick up their purchase.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote:I try to ask FFL dealers about that at gun shows. Kind of a quick way to survey a decent amount of shops. The number who accept the post-March 23 2015 Ohio CHL as NICS-compliant and don't call/email in (after the 4473 is filled out of course) seems to be growing. But of course, many of them were anxious to make the switch since there are weekends that the system is very busy and time consuming. Kind of a pain when you've got a customer who might live 100+ miles from the FFL's shop waiting there, he/she isn't going to want to drop by the store days later, because of the snafu, to actually pick up their purchase.
I was wondering if any of them would be reluctant to skip the NICS because they were afraid of legal consequences if customer got in trouble afterwards (or beforehand...after all a license is just a piece of plastic). You know, CYA? I guess the new law gives the dealers some sort of protection.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

glocksmith wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I try to ask FFL dealers about that at gun shows. Kind of a quick way to survey a decent amount of shops. The number who accept the post-March 23 2015 Ohio CHL as NICS-compliant and don't call/email in (after the 4473 is filled out of course) seems to be growing. But of course, many of them were anxious to make the switch since there are weekends that the system is very busy and time consuming. Kind of a pain when you've got a customer who might live 100+ miles from the FFL's shop waiting there, he/she isn't going to want to drop by the store days later, because of the snafu, to actually pick up their purchase.
I was wondering if any of them would be reluctant to skip the NICS because they were afraid of legal consequences if customer got in trouble afterwards (or beforehand...after all a license is just a piece of plastic). You know, CYA? I guess the new law gives the dealers some sort of protection.
Many do not for exactly that reason. And, there is an insurance-like company called FFL Guard that many FFLs use that recommends their members *not* accept a CHL issued March 23, 2015 or later because there is no guarantee that it has not been revoked or suspended. Apparently, sheriffs are not required to (and apparently some do not) seize the license when it is revoked or suspended and the FFLs have no way to check the status of a license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

On the surface this "have a CHL...no NICS" seems like a good thing...saves time and less of a PITA to both dealer and customer...but it also highly resembles the process in other countries where strict gun control measures of licensing and registration are mandatory. In most overseas countries allowing private citizens to own guns, there is a process of safety training, then applying with the police department, fees, background checks, more fees...sound familiar???...after which you are issued some sort of license ("gun card" in Canada) and/or document which you can flash to the gun dealer whenever you want to buy something.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

glocksmith wrote:On the surface this "have a CHL...no NICS" seems like a good thing...saves time and less of a PITA to both dealer and customer...but it also highly resembles the process in other countries where strict gun control measures of licensing and registration are mandatory. In most overseas countries allowing private citizens to own guns, there is a process of safety training, then applying with the police department, fees, background checks, more fees...sound familiar???...after which you are issued some sort of license ("gun card" in Canada) and/or document which you can flash to the gun dealer whenever you want to buy something.
You mean like a FOID card issued in the republik of Illinois? Seriously glocksmith, you make a good point.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
ruger

Post by ruger »

I picked up another Shield 9mm in January at Sportsman's Den in Shelby. My CHL is dated in April 2015. I filled out the 4473 and they looked at my CHL and said since it was post-3/25/15, they didn't need to run it. Good thing because the computer lines were down and I drove over an hour to get there.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Kentucky and Indiana residents have been able to use their state's CHLs to bypass the NICS check for several years now. Once again, Ohio lawmakers late to the party.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:Kentucky and Indiana residents have been able to use their state's CHLs to bypass the NICS check for several years now. Once again, Ohio lawmakers late to the party.
Maybe....were they invited ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

It appears to be every two years that the State Lawmakers get invited to the party.