65 Days and Counting

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: 65 Days and Counting

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Morne,

How does the applicant know they can challenge the background check if the Sheriff says they are still processing the background check?
The same way they know it is 45 calendar days and not business days. They either research the ORC themselves or contact an attorney.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:The same way they know it is 45 calendar days and not business days. They either research the ORC themselves or contact an attorney.
:shock: :x

Well thank god there's no organization out there trying to make the Sheriff follow the law so an applicant doesn't have to concern themselves with things like that.

We can't have busybodies butting into the Sheriff's 'official business' on behalf of others. :?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay.

Talked to Captain Jim Sweat, Law Enforcement Division Commander at the Richland County Sheriff's Office today. He is in charge of their "CCW Program".

He knew the proper CHL process and stated that he had a conversation with his CHL desk staff about when the 45-day window begins. It begins when the application form is received. IF there was any misunderstanding by his staff, that should now be corrected.

If anyone happens to call and ask them about the process in a few weeks and gets a different answer, let me know. :wink:

ALSO, the Captain stated that when an applicant has a hit on their background that can't be resolved before exceeding the 45-day limit, their office is to call the applicant and let them know the Sheriff can either deny the application OR suspend processing while they work to resolve the issue on the background check. At that point, choosing to suspend processing would probably cause the background check to exceed the 45-day limit.

This would be a good thing because the appeal of a denial would take weeks and and could still result in a denial. It could also lead to further, expensive appeals that could take months (or years).

The Captain apologizes if the OP's husband did not receive such a call.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Captain apologizes if the OP's husband did not receive such a call.
I don't suppose the Captain apologized for telling the OP's husband the 45 days didn't start until they got the results back from BCI by any chance, did he? :roll:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Okay.

Talked to Captain Jim Sweat, Law Enforcement Division Commander at the Richland County Sheriff's Office today. He is in charge of their "CCW Program".

He knew the proper CHL process and stated that he had a conversation with his CHL desk staff about when the 45-day window begins. It begins when the application form is received. IF there was any misunderstanding by his staff, that should now be corrected.

If anyone happens to call and ask them about the process in a few weeks and gets a different answer, let me know. :wink:

ALSO, the Captain stated that when an applicant has a hit on their background that can't be resolved before exceeding the 45-day limit, their office is to call the applicant and let them know the Sheriff can either deny the application OR suspend processing while they work to resolve the issue on the background check. At that point, choosing to suspend processing would probably cause the background check to exceed the 45-day limit.

This would be a good thing because the appeal of a denial would take weeks and and could still result in a denial. It could also lead to further, expensive appeals that could take months (or years).

The Captain apologizes if the OP's husband did not receive such a call.
Excellent work, Sir. Excellent.

We really need a tophat wearing, clapping emoticon.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Captain apologizes if the OP's husband did not receive such a call.
I don't suppose the Captain apologized for telling the OP's husband the 45 days didn't start until they got the results back from BCI by any chance, did he? :roll:
No, but he did offer to speak with the OP and her husband directly.

I think he honestly couldn't believe that his staff were claiming what they were claiming.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Morne wrote: Excellent work, Sir. Excellent.

No applause needed.

I'm just in it for the money.

8)
MyWifeSaidYes
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Morne,

How does the applicant know they can challenge the background check if the Sheriff says they are still processing the background check?
I think I should add this to the next revision of my guide.
Morne wrote:Excellent work, Sir. Excellent.

How about this?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

So does the OP have his license?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

ambercsmith wrote:License was issued today. All of the information and support has been greatly appreciated.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Well done, sir! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Chuck wrote:
ambercsmith wrote:License was issued today. All of the information and support has been greatly appreciated.
But has the problem been solved?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Cruiser wrote: But has the problem been solved?
How many licks DOES it take to get to the center...?
The world may never know.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

May have another 45+ in Richland. :roll:

I'll confirm with the applicant and contact the good Captain, if needed.
MyWifeSaidYes