deer attack - and ccw self defense

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jinxer

deer attack - and ccw self defense

Post by jinxer »

curious if a deer attacking would be seen as a valid ccw self defense scenario?

once you get into oct/nov the deer behavior changes (esp male bucks).

instead of running away, they will stand their ground and snort.

i could easily envision an attack.

would we still have a duty to retreat? or instead stand your ground?

i belive ohio ccw needs 'stand your ground' otherwise ohioccw is just a paper tiger
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: deer attack - and ccw self defense

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Deer dog bear or cow.....I'm shooting...if being attacked...I'll make a exception for Poodles and Schnauzers.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

That's a twist.. Is it self defense when another person isn't involved?
Sounds like a good question for ODNR specifically.. if it was gun season & a 5" min barrel, .357 or larger is used, you're golden, presuming you tag appropriately, licensed, safe on times, not tresspassing etc. :wink:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

jinxer wrote:curious if a deer attacking would be seen as a valid ccw self defense scenario?
Theoretically.
jinxer wrote:i could easily envision an attack.
I can envision giant monsters rising from the sea to destroy coastal cities. Doesn't mean it's likely.
jinxer wrote:would we still have a duty to retreat? or instead stand your ground?
There is no duty to retreat in protecting yourself against an animal attack. There is however a requirement that you were actually doing so and not simply hunting outside of season or w/o a license, or committing animal cruelty. Unless the situation strongly supports the defense against attack there's a good chance you'll have to justify your actions or face those charges.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Ask Chuck what it's like to get whooped up on by a four-legged animal. I'm shooting.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

pirateguy191 wrote:Ask Chuck what it's like to get whooped up on by a four-legged animal. I'm shooting.
^ That!

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I've seen those signs.

Just be glad you aren't out west. The cattle have the right of way. You hit one while driving and it is your fault. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
jinxer

Post by jinxer »

Aesinsp wrote:That's a twist.. Is it self defense when another person isn't involved?
Sounds like a good question for ODNR specifically.. if it was gun season & a 5" min barrel, .357 or larger is used, you're golden, presuming you tag appropriately, licensed, safe on times, not tresspassing etc. :wink:
see, i would think getting another govt agency involved would be a bad thing.

I could see local law enforcement not prosecuting and instead ODNR trying to turn it into a hunting violation.

so i think it would be more likely to be allowed given that you DONT have:
a legal .357 or larger pistol with 6" barrel or longer
a hunting permit

if you make it look like hunting, it would likely mean they (ODNR) prosecute it as illegal take of wildlife.

isnt gun season like one week, daylight only, in ohio?

you wouldnt want it to look like hunting and instead a Valid CCW defense.

you cant even get ODNR to help pick up garbage the local hunter and fisherman leave behind in the state managed wildlife areas near my house (thats not our job. LOL. its not mine eiher but i do it)
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

What's effective against a big buck or the average deer?

Not a trick question: out walking my dog last fall, with my daughter - the three of us turned a corner in our neighborhood to be met by the eyeballs of a 8-point buck. :shock:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TSiWRX wrote:What's effective against a big buck or the average deer?
The .357 Magnum is regularly used to harvest deer in Ohio, and ODNR lists .38 Special as an allowable cartridge for deer hunting (though I don't know how effective a .38 is on deer).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

pirateguy191 wrote:Ask Chuck what it's like to get whooped up on by a four-legged animal. I'm shooting.

Better to be a live defendant than a dead non-shooter

That cow wanted to kill me,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

jinxer wrote:curious if a deer attacking would be seen as a valid ccw self defense scenario?
It depends. If you're covered in deer urine like the clown in the video, the courts might figure you deserve to get your --- kicked by the deer. (remember you have to be an innocent party)

Look, just buy a tag like everyone else, okay? :roll:

https://youtu.be/15ut0KUHO9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Chuck wrote:

Better to be a live defendant than a dead non-shooter

That cow wanted to kill me,,,,
You guys should ease up on Chuck - it was a traumatic experience for him...

He hasn't truly enjoyed a steak or a burger since that day... Man cannot live on pork alone! :twisted:

Unless it is bacon. Then man can live on bacon alone.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Theoretically.
jinxer wrote:i could easily envision an attack.
I can envision giant monsters rising from the sea to destroy coastal cities. Doesn't mean it's likely.
jinxer wrote:would we still have a duty to retreat? or instead stand your ground?
There is no duty to retreat in protecting yourself against an animal attack. There is however a requirement that you were actually doing so and not simply hunting outside of season or w/o a license, or committing animal cruelty. Unless the situation strongly supports the defense against attack there's a good chance you'll have to justify your actions or face those charges.
Individuals are attacked by deer every year and some of the results aren't pretty. Even does will get nasty if they think you are a threat to a fawn. Those hooves are sharp and they have very strong legs. I would not hesitate to shoot a buck or doe if it appeared to be attacking me.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:What's effective against a big buck or the average deer?
The .357 Magnum is regularly used to harvest deer in Ohio, and ODNR lists .38 Special as an allowable cartridge for deer hunting (though I don't know how effective a .38 is on deer).
Thanks for that. :)

This thread actually came up shortly after I'd read the following via Greg Ellifritz's Active Response Training "Weekend Knowledge Dump" e-mail blast, which contained the following link:

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/dang ... -handguns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio