DUI checkpoint in a school zone

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: DUI checkpoint in a school zone

Post by SeanC »

Brian D. wrote:You make a valid legal point but that might not stop the officers from arresting you for failure to obey their order. In a similar vein a few weeks back, police were directing overflow gun show traffic at the Sharonville Convention Center to park on Princeton school district property down the street. Wasn't about to do that so I just left.

Police will ignore laws like that when it seems to suit there purpose.
Ohio law only requires you to obey a lawful order. An order to enter a school zone with a weapon is not a lawful order. They couldn't charge you under the weapons control act. You'd have a defense of entrapment if they tried to get you on possession of a firearm in a school zone.

I always refuse to go to the secondary check, anyway, unless they can tell me about their reasonable suspicion. I'm 100% on them letting the issue drop and sending me away. I guess they figure anyone who says "reasonable suspicion" is probably not intoxicated.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Dang. You guys have all the fun. I've yet to get snagged in one of these checkpoints. I'd love to go through one and have some fun.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Dunno.... If they knew who Sean was :D....

Back about 1968, give or take, I had a brand new (to me) '67 Ambassador. I ended up in one of those roadside inspection things that OSP was having fun with. Really proud of the thing until the Trooper noticed the license plate light was out....

NBD, really - I had to grab a bulb someplace, change it, and then have a friend (who ran a Texaco station) sign off on the repair.

BTW, IANAL, but I agree with Sean. The Trooper (or other LEO) would likely lose that one, or at least have it bounce on appeal, but it could get expensive. I do worry about it a little, though - one of the ways I get "someplace" involves a narrow road where a School is located and about the only place to pull somebody over. I tend to not attract attention anymore, but....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

SMMAssociates wrote:Dunno.... If they knew who Sean was :D....

Back about 1968, give or take, I had a brand new (to me) '67 Ambassador. I ended up in one of those roadside inspection things that OSP was having fun with. Really proud of the thing until the Trooper noticed the license plate light was out....

NBD, really - I had to grab a bulb someplace, change it, and then have a friend (who ran a Texaco station) sign off on the repair.

BTW, IANAL, but I agree with Sean. The Trooper (or other LEO) would likely lose that one, or at least have it bounce on appeal, but it could get expensive. I do worry about it a little, though - one of the ways I get "someplace" involves a narrow road where a School is located and about the only place to pull somebody over. I tend to not attract attention anymore, but....

Regards,
So that's why you drive so slow in the left lane, your '67 Ambassador can't keep up with traffic? :lol: I'd laugh louder if I didn't drive a '66 American. :oops: My '73 Javelin can raise some dust though!

Good for the OP in standing his ground and not entering a school zone, hopefully I would keep a clear mind and be able to articulate my argument.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

SeanC wrote:
Brian D. wrote:You make a valid legal point but that might not stop the officers from arresting you for failure to obey their order. In a similar vein a few weeks back, police were directing overflow gun show traffic at the Sharonville Convention Center to park on Princeton school district property down the street. Wasn't about to do that so I just left.

Police will ignore laws like that when it seems to suit there purpose.
Ohio law only requires you to obey a lawful order. An order to enter a school zone with a weapon is not a lawful order. They couldn't charge you under the weapons control act. You'd have a defense of entrapment if they tried to get you on possession of a firearm in a school zone.

I always refuse to go to the secondary check, anyway, unless they can tell me about their reasonable suspicion. I'm 100% on them letting the issue drop and sending me away. I guess they figure anyone who says "reasonable suspicion" is probably not intoxicated.

Unless they make you say it 3 times real fast...!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Javelin Man wrote: So that's why you drive so slow in the left lane, your '67 Ambassador can't keep up with traffic? :lol: I'd laugh louder if I didn't drive a '66 American. :oops: My '73 Javelin can raise some dust though!

Good for the OP in standing his ground and not entering a school zone, hopefully I would keep a clear mind and be able to articulate my argument.
You're thinking of Carmen. Carmen is older than Stu (yes, it is possible).
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

schmieg wrote:
Javelin Man wrote: So that's why you drive so slow in the left lane, your '67 Ambassador can't keep up with traffic? :lol: I'd laugh louder if I didn't drive a '66 American. :oops: My '73 Javelin can raise some dust though!

You're thinking of Carmen. Carmen is older than Stu (yes, it is possible).
:oops: Doh! You're right, I'm sorry. This is like the difference between Noah and Moses, or at least the same age difference. :P Except Noah had the whole highway to himself after raining 40 day and nights.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

I had quite the opposite experience once. I was traveling on a rural highway when I got a flat and the only place to pull over was a high school parking lot. Mind you it was 430 A.M. So, I pulled over and went to work changing the tire. I had left my door open and when the OSHP trooper pulled in behind me, he could see my Glock in the door compartment. He sort of gestured at it with he head and I apologized, pointed out my predicament, and he simply said "Change the tire and get on out of here". That was the last time I dealt with a reasonable Statie, however.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jakor, I'd say you caught a break that morning, flat tire notwithstanding. Also not a good thing to have the gun unsecured and more than a step or two away from you. A guy on BFA's forums had his gun swiped off his SUV's front seat at a car wash in suburban Columbus. He was a few steps away, or digging around in the rear cargo area, temporarily distracted in some manner like that, as memory serves. Bad stuff happens real fast it seems like, especially in the big city.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
R1CUSTOM

Post by R1CUSTOM »

It is not a crime to drive into a schools property with a CHL and a gun...get out of your car. yes...but you can drive all over school property armed. So you DID disobey a lawful order to begin with
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

R1CUSTOM wrote:It is not a crime to drive into a schools property with a CHL and a gun...get out of your car. yes...but you can drive all over school property armed. So you DID disobey a lawful order to begin with
No, you cannot "drive all over school property armed" *unless* you are "immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child". See ORC 2923.122 (D) (4):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

(c) The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

R1CUSTOM wrote:It is not a crime to drive into a schools property with a CHL and a gun...get out of your car. yes...but you can drive all over school property armed...
Wow.

And this from the guy who wonders why I make replies "with attitude"?
MyWifeSaidYes
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

NS218 wrote:Last night there was a DUI checkpoint in Gahanna in front of the High School, and after notifying the deputy I have a concealed carry license and I'm armed, they decided to pick me to actually pull into the school parking lot for a more thorough check. I refused to do that, and asked why they are trying to force me to commit a felony, pulling onto school grounds with a gun. After arguing a bit and causing traffic to back up, they let me go. I never went through a checkpoint before, but is it common to set one up in front of a school and to actually use the school grounds?
They can't charge you for carrying on the school property if they ordered you there. That's entrapment.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Kenosis wrote:They can't charge you for carrying on the school property if they ordered you there. That's entrapment.
There are numerous cops running these checkpoints, so you'll have to be sure of which cop ordered you there.
MyWifeSaidYes