Valet Parking in CPZ

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NERES

Valet Parking in CPZ

Post by NERES »

I am going to a distant city medical center which is a no gun zone and may have to use the valet parking. I plan to carry up to the time of arrival and then disarm and store my gun locked in the console in my car.

It would appear that I am OK legally but what about the valet driver who then takes possession of my car?
pirateguy191

Re: Valet Parking in CPZ

Post by pirateguy191 »

Legally, unless the valet has his/her CHL, I would say unload and put gun and mag in separate closed containers. Or, park the car yourself.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

what key unlocks the glove box? One that you are giving the valet? Do you trust the valet? Do you trust the entire system where your keys are accessible to many people?

I would not trust them. YMMV

Ken
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The statute says "knowingly"so as long as the gun was locked up and the valet wouldn't have reason to believe there was a loaded gun in the vehicle, I don't think there would be any issue. But as mentioned previously, the glove box, even locked, may not be the best place to store it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:The statute says "knowingly"so as long as the gun was locked up and the valet wouldn't have reason to believe there was a loaded gun in the vehicle, I don't think there would be any issue. But as mentioned previously, the glove box, even locked, may not be the best place to store it.
But the statute can also charge the owner of the vehicle. It doesn't necessarily have to be anyone inside the vehicle.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

Interesting twist for those when they say "my daughter can't be charged if I accidentally leave it in the vehicle." Nope, she can't, but the way I read that the owner can because the exception says "the person transporting or possessing must have a CHL".
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:The statute says "knowingly"so as long as the gun was locked up and the valet wouldn't have reason to believe there was a loaded gun in the vehicle, I don't think there would be any issue. But as mentioned previously, the glove box, even locked, may not be the best place to store it.
But the statute can also charge the owner of the vehicle. It doesn't necessarily have to be anyone inside the vehicle.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
Which is why I specified "so long as the gun was locked up", rendering it inaccessible to the operator or passenger (the valet).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

This is reason #1 of a bunch of reasons I avoid valet parking. Had to have some "interesting" conversations with some family members about this. We do it my way. :mrgreen:
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
NERES

Post by NERES »

Thanks for the good comments and analyses. After giving this more thought I decided to avoid the valet and take my chances at finding a space in the parking garage. I will also use the clam shell safe which is cabled under the back seat. Doing this would be problematic at curbside in view of everyone but much less so in the garage.
docachna

Post by docachna »

At a former work location, I mastered the art of popping the trunk from the driver's seat, grabbing a towel from under the seat, walking it back to the trunk wrapped in the towel, and placing it in the locking gun safe cabled to the trunk frame. Easy to get it back up front in reverse, when I came out. Got to where I did the same thing around the corner from a valet parking location. Just gotta plan ahead a little better.

Nothing's a guarantee, but I figure it will slow them down, which is the secondary objective (the first obviously being to prevent the theft).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, I self park too. Sometimes there's a gun (besides the carry piece) in the vehicle. Chances are, it's loaded. That makes the valet an instant criminal.

I had a date who thought it was just me being a cheapskate. At the moment she said that, we were headed into a restaurant that is rather "proud" of their food if you get my meaning. So, I stopped, turned around, and yelled over my shoulder "You're right, I'm going to White Castle, have a good evening!"

It took her a while to get the way us "gun folk" think and do things, but she now has a carry license herself and is pretty good about having the blaster along whenever possible. Better still, she lives in northern Kentucky and ribs me about their laws being better than ours.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.