Holster Preference

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Golden13Buckeye

Holster Preference

Post by Golden13Buckeye »

Hey guys,

New to this forum, as well as the CC community. I'm looking to get a holster for my S&W Shield, but wanted to get some feedback from some of you who have been carrying and what kind of advice you have. Ive been looking at aliengear and im thinking i would like to do IWB.

Thanks!
Tru-Heathen

Re: Holster Preference

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Well you've opened up a can of worms here. :lol: Holster preference is a very individual thing so expect recommendations to range across the whole spectrum from hybrids,all kydex and top quality leather .

I've several of all those types,finally chose either CompTac Infidel or any of Clinger holsters for my IWB carry needs.Remember it helps with IWB carry to go up one size on pants.

Others will have their own ideas.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

In my experience, the Alien Gear holsters are toward the bottom of the scale in quality. I've heard good things about CompTac as Tru-Heathen mentioned, but I've never tried one myself. I liked the Crossbreed I had, but moved to a local company, Hidden Hybrid Holsters, when I added a weapon mounted light and could not be happier. It is a nice upgrade from the Crossbreed and I like that it is a local NE Ohio company that uses locally sourced materials. If you are in the Canton area, you might consider stopping by their retail store at Stark Arms and checking them out.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

As mentioned, if you can find a local holster maker, they'll have a great selection to check out/try out. For example, Stoner Holster in Middletown has their own, but also carries Galco, Safariland, and others - as well as a lot of accessories like belts, mag carriers, etc etc. Be sure you get a good gun belt to go with your holster, too.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
Paul

Post by Paul »

Check out this site. I have one of their holsters and it's very nice and functional.

http://www.pantherconcealment.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boyscout

Post by boyscout »

I've heard very good things about Stoner holsters. I've settled on a Kramer Leather IWB for my Glock M43. Expensive, but comfortable with excellent retention.
Boy Scout Leader
NRA Instructor - Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside of the Home, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Training Counselor
101st Airborne - Viet Nam 1968
mreising

Post by mreising »

Here is another vote for Stoner. They have some nice designs, some of which can be customized to fit your particular needs. I have several Stoner IWB holsters for a few different guns and usually use them for my PF9 and my S&W 360. I have a Crossbreed but have never really used it so I can't speak to the long term comfort. I typically use a Milt Sparks Versa Max II (IWB) for my full size gun (S&W M&P).
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

If you're in NE Ohio, check out Winthrop Holsters in Lorain (I think its Lorain). I have several of their iwb holsters and they are fantastic
I've had consistently good results with ether.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Tru-Heathen wrote:Well you've opened up a can of worms here...
Or a roll of duct tape? :twisted:

:roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Tru-Heathen wrote:Well you've opened up a can of worms here...
Or a roll of duct tape? :twisted:

:roll:
Tarbaby ! :lol:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I carry a shield 9 in an IWB alien gear. I don't know where Justashooter is getting his info but my holster has held up wonderfully to 12-16 hour carry on the weekends and 4-6 hour carry through the week.

I haven't broken a clip or lost a screw yet. The only thing that doesn't look original on it is that the alien emblem has worn off.

The new model has spring steel in the backing to help it hold open.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Side question: Store here started stocking Crossbreed. All the clips I saw were for 1.5" width max belts. Are they offered with 1.75" clips? How about the other brands mentioned by y'all in this thread?

I should look it up for myself, so thanks in advance to whoever posts up the answer.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
niXD45c
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by niXD45c »

TJW815 wrote:I carry a shield 9 in an IWB alien gear. I don't know where Justashooter is getting his info but my holster has held up wonderfully to 12-16 hour carry on the weekends and 4-6 hour carry through the week.

I haven't broken a clip or lost a screw yet. The only thing that doesn't look original on it is that the alien emblem has worn off.

I too have a Shield and I also have AlienGear 3 holster http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... tband.html
Very comfortable. I also have had Crossbreed and Old Faithful. So far, I would buy Alien Gear again.
It's a great day to be alive!
Dave
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

niXD45c wrote:
TJW815 wrote:I carry a shield 9 in an IWB alien gear. I don't know where Justashooter is getting his info but my holster has held up wonderfully to 12-16 hour carry on the weekends and 4-6 hour carry through the week.

I too have a Shield and I also have AlienGear 3 holster http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... tband.html
Very comfortable. I also have had Crossbreed and Old Faithful. So far, I would buy Alien Gear again.
You realize Old Faithful and Alien Gear are one and the same, right?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I have had experience with the original and the 2.0 version, neither of which I would give you a plugged nickle for. I don't know about the 3.0, but based on my experience with the previous two versions I am not inclined to waste any money finding out.
NRA Life Member