CC training

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

CC training

Post by Gramps »

I heard from an NRA instructor that very soon the requirements for range time will be massively increased with only 1 on 1 with instruction at the range. This (according to him) will triple (or more) the cost of the course.
Anyone heard this? Wife is wanting to take her CC training this summer is why I ask.

GP
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CC training

Post by JustaShooter »

That is a bit of an exaggeration / oversimplification. Here's what I can tell you, as an NRA instructor myself:

Once the new program, which is a blended course with part self-paced online and part in person with an instructor, is in place, the online portion will take around 6 1/2 to 7 hours, and the full, in-person portion with an instructor *can* take up to 5 hours. Not all of it would necessarily have to be done on the range, but I suspect many will do so since it involves handling a firearm and loading and unloading it, etc. Per the NRA guidelines, if the student doesn't need the full 5 hours to show competency and qualify in the shooting portion, the are not required to spend the full 5 hours with the instructor. However, Ohio law says they must have spent at least 2 hours on the range with the instructor to qualify for their CHL.

The NRA guidelines for student to instructor ratio on the range is 2 to 1 - however, it remains to be seen whether or not that will be strictly adhered to, much less enforced.

But, here's the rub: The NRA is charging $60 for the online portion, nothing of which goes to the instructor. I imagine instructors will need to charge something similar to their old prices for the in-person instruction time especially if they follow the 2 to 1 student to instructor ratio, and if they add Ohio self-defense and firearm law to the class, which can add a fair amount of time.

So, ultimately those that continue to teach the NRA class may well see the total cost to the student close to double over current rates.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Thanks for your time explaining the new rules. I may have not remembered exactly what was said as there was a lot going on at the time.
Not nearly as bad as first thought :D
Thanks again!

GP
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Gramps wrote: Anyone heard this? Wife is wanting to take her CC training this summer is why I ask.

GP
She doesn't have to take the NRA class to qualify for her CHL. She can find a certified instructor that teaches their own curriculum.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Gramps wrote: Anyone heard this? Wife is wanting to take her CC training this summer is why I ask.

GP
She doesn't have to take the NRA class to qualify for her CHL. She can find a certified instructor that teaches their own curriculum.
That's a good point, I should have mentioned it. There are many instructors that use their own courses that meet Ohio's requirements for a CHL - minimum of 8 hours of instruction including 2 hours of range time.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

When a police officer teaches a ccw course in Ohio, what guidelines or teaching course are they under?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:When a police officer teaches a ccw course in Ohio, what guidelines or teaching course are they under?
Good question. My understanding is that whether or not they are police officer or civilian, they would need to be OPOTA certified instructors, or NRA/other national gun rights organization certified, and would either teach that curriculum or make up their own.
NRA Life Member

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:When a police officer teaches a ccw course in Ohio, what guidelines or teaching course are they under?
Good question. My understanding is that whether or not they are police officer or civilian, they would need to be OPOTA certified instructors, or NRA/other national gun rights organization certified, and would either teach that curriculum or make up their own.
I have run across a number of police officers teaching, but they were using NRA credentials to do so.

If you ever have a question, the AG's site lets you look up if the instructor is OPOTA certified: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law- ... earch.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Thanks folks for all the info!
We need to get this scheduled soon as the Mrs starts her second job in little over a month and won't have the time till fall.
GP
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *