Glock 30s question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock 19 IWB

Glock 30s question

Post by Glock 19 IWB »

Hello
Does anyone have a 30s?I really would like to know how it conceals compared to a 19.
From what I can see in some cappy videos,it looks like the 30s is shorter than the 19
and not much thicker in the slide.
LegoGlock

Re: Glock 30s question

Post by LegoGlock »

A drawing showing the dimensions of a Glock 30S.

Length:
177 mm / 6.96 in.
Width:
32.50 mm / 1.27 in.
Length Between Sights:
150 mm / 5.91 in.
Height:
122 mm / 4.80 in.
Barrel Height:
32 mm / 1.26 in.
Barrel Length:
96 mm / 3.77 in.

A drawing showing the dimensions of a Glock 19.

Length:
187 mm / 7.36 in.
Width:
30.00 mm / 1.18 in.
Length Between Sights:
153 mm / 6.02 in.
Height:
127 mm / 4.99 in.
Barrel Height:
32 mm / 1.26 in.
Barrel Length:
102 mm / 4.01 in.

Per Glock website.
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Glock 19 IWB wrote:Hello
Does anyone have a 30s?I really would like to know how it conceals compared to a 19.
From what I can see in some cappy videos,it looks like the 30s is shorter than the 19
and not much thicker in the slide.
yes the 30S is just a hair shorter & a hair thicker than the 19, grip lengths are just about even also (30 having the nub & flush 19).
i have'nt missed many meals & my 30S in a leather thumb break OWB works just fine, all comes down to personal preference both fully loaded the weight difference is'nt noticeable specially in the right holster.
BOB
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Depending on your body type and your method of carry, the two most common dimensions of a gun that affect concealability are the width and the butt length. I use butt length as opposed to overall height because the length the butt sticks out below the axis of the barrel and the backstrap are more critical to concealability than simply the overall height by itself. That's because all parts of a gun from the backstrap up are carried within the holster on almost all carry methods in common use, and minor changes in those dimensions have no appreciable effect on the concealability of the gun. Barrel length is also usually a minimal factor because barrels are placed into deep body recesses in almost all carry methods in common use (I don't consider shoulder holsters a common use). Changes in barrel length are more likely to affect comfort long before affecting concealability. Width of the gun affects concealability because it increases the size of the bulge in most carry methods. For most of us that entails minimizing a bulge at the waistline. But the most common concealability issue is printing of the butt of the pistol, particularly when assuming postures other than standing straight up. For those issues the butt length is the primary concern, but width also comes into play because a double stack pistol obviously has a bigger butt than a single stack, though some make the argument that a slimmer stock makes a more prominent print. So the issue isn't so much the overall height of the gun, but rather how much of it sticks out below the holster, or above, left, right, etc. depending on where you carry.

For these two particular guns there is a significant difference in width and butt length. The difference in width is a given due to the difference in caliber. I would assume that's something you aren't concerned about since obviously you would know that was a factor. The butt length is considerably shorter on the G30S, but keep in mind that the butt is a little wider too. The width difference is minimal, but you should be aware of it. For me the pictures in the left of the graphic tell the story. Just looking at the profiles tells me the G30S would be more concealable. But I've learned that not everyone's circumstances are the same. See if you can find someone with a G30S you can look at, or even a G30SF. The S is almost identical to the SF, being only ever so slightly slimmer. I'd let you look at mine but you aren't in my area.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I think this is one of those occasions where you really just have to hold it and carry it to see how it feels to you. The raw numbers, however accurate, can be misleading.

I like the Glock 19 quite a bit and find it entirely concealable for me (I carry OWB). In contrast, I had a Glock 30 for a short period and did not care for it at all. Yes, it was generally smaller than the 19, but that tiny amount of extra width made it seem more difficult for me to conceal. Add to that the fact that it wasn't as comfortable in my hand, and I ended up trading it off.

I currently have the Glock 36 and, unlike the 30, like it as much as the Glock 19. I carry it with an Pierce grip extension (no extra round, just the pinky extension for a better grip) and it is virtually identical in size to the Glock 19. It has slightly shorter barrel length, but the width and height are the same. in fact, I carry it in the same holster as I do the Glock 19.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I carry a Glock model 30, and 1 spare mag, in a Glock brand holster & mag carrier, every single
day, everywhere legal. Conceals well, even in hot weather. I think it's a comfortable set-up. :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

JU-87 wrote:I carry a Glock model 30, and 1 spare mag, in a Glock brand holster & mag carrier, every single
day, everywhere legal. Conceals well, even in hot weather. I think it's a comfortable set-up. :)
Do you have the standard 30 or the SF? I was actually shopping for a standard 30 when the gun dealer suggested I try holding a 30SF to see if I liked it better. Now all my Glocks are SF with the exception of a G27.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws