loaded rifle in car with ccw permit?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jinxer

loaded rifle in car with ccw permit?

Post by jinxer »

any idea if police have to, follow the same loaded rifle rules (ie. no inserted magazines into rifles, shells in shotguns, etc) as we do?

if not, we should attempt to get this changed by either (hopefully option a.)

option a. allow ccw licensees to also have loaded rifles (or loaded magazines inserted)

option b. make police have to store rifle unloaded and have to 'load up' if they need it - just like everyone else, no special privileges/ exceptions or professional courtesies extended to them

this is not an anti-police rant, its just that there exists double standards between civilians and professional leo that need cleared up
Brian D.

Re: loaded rifle in car with ccw permit?

Post by Brian D. »

Do you mean on duty or off duty police officers?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

You may want to encourage your state legislators to pass HB 152.
MyWifeSaidYes
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

jinxer wrote:any idea if police have to, follow the same loaded rifle rules (ie. no inserted magazines into rifles, shells in shotguns, etc) as we do?

if not, we should attempt to get this changed by either (hopefully option a.)

option a. allow ccw licensees to also have loaded rifles (or loaded magazines inserted)

option b. make police have to store rifle unloaded and have to 'load up' if they need it - just like everyone else, no special privileges/ exceptions or professional courtesies extended to them

this is not an anti-police rant, its just that there exists double standards between civilians and professional leo that need cleared up
Personally for car carry I'd prefer to carry loaded mag,bolt open with mag out. I can slap a mag in within a few seconds slam the bolt home and be ready to shoot pretty quickly. But that's just my opinion.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AR-15 pistol.

With a CHL, it can remain loaded in a vehicle.
MyWifeSaidYes
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:AR-15 pistol.

With a CHL, it can remain loaded in a vehicle.
Ak 47 pistols as well. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Bama.45 wrote:Personally for car carry I'd prefer to carry loaded mag,bolt open with mag out. I can slap a mag in within a few seconds slam the bolt home and be ready to shoot pretty quickly. But that's just my opinion.
Assuming it's an AR type rifle, the bolt will likely slam into battery the first bump you hit.

I have been considering keeping a "broke down in Trotwood at night" rifle in my large trunk for some time. Now that I have more than a few ARs, I'm more comfortable putting one into a more permanent trunk rifle role. I am thinking just throw it in a non-deacript bag with a fair amount of padding and keeping a few mags loaded with XM193. Probably a cheap optic and mounted light of some sort.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ArmedAviator wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:Personally for car carry I'd prefer to carry loaded mag,bolt open with mag out. I can slap a mag in within a few seconds slam the bolt home and be ready to shoot pretty quickly. But that's just my opinion.
Assuming it's an AR type rifle, the bolt will likely slam into battery the first bump you hit...
Yeah. If you have time to grab the gun and magazine, and insert the magazine, you'll probably have time to rack a round into the chamber. In fact, that's a good habit to get into...NOT assuming your bolt is open.

If I would carry my AR pistol in a vehicle, I would have a loaded mag inserted, empty chamber and hammer down. I know what kind of forces can be experienced in a vehicle accident...and I simply wouldn't trust having a round chambered in a firearm with a free floating firing pin.
MyWifeSaidYes
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:
Assuming it's an AR type rifle, the bolt will likely slam into battery the first bump you hit...
Yeah. If you have time to grab the gun and magazine, and insert the magazine, you'll probably have time to rack a round into the chamber. In fact, that's a good habit to get into...NOT assuming your bolt is open.

If I would carry my AR pistol in a vehicle, I would have a loaded mag inserted, empty chamber and hammer down. I know what kind of forces can be experienced in a vehicle accident...and I simply wouldn't trust having a round chambered in a firearm with a free floating firing pin.
I always keep my AR hammers cocked despite being unloaded. My reasoning is after racking a round in the chamber, the safety is already engaged and takes that much more deliberate action to make the gun ready to fire. In the grand scheme of things, it takes me zero brain thought and unnoticeable extra time to move the selector to fire as I practice this way.

As far as a round in the chamber if I had an AR pistol in the car? I'd be comfortable with it being chambered. I've been in a rough accident once before and the firing pin, being as light as it is, just wouldn't get the amount of force needed to fire a round, but this is based on no scientific data at all.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ArmedAviator wrote:I always keep my AR hammers cocked despite being unloaded. My reasoning is after racking a round in the chamber, the safety is already engaged and takes that much more deliberate action to make the gun ready to fire. In the grand scheme of things, it takes me zero brain thought and unnoticeable extra time to move the selector to fire as I practice this way.
If things have gotten bad enough that I have to transition from my sidearm to an AR or AK pattern firearm, having the safety on is not going to be a primary concern for me. :P
ArmedAviator wrote:As far as a round in the chamber if I had an AR pistol in the car? I'd be comfortable with it being chambered. I've been in a rough accident once before and the firing pin, being as light as it is, just wouldn't get the amount of force needed to fire a round, but this is based on no scientific data at all.
The firing pins, while free-floating, are not inertial in function...the hammer stays in contact with the firing pin when firing. As you mention, the pins are light. They have an extremely short travel. Combine all that with the harder primers of rifle ammo and you can drop these guns muzzle first from shoulder height without any real fear of a discharge.

However, in a high energy auto accident, that 5 to 8 pound gun can become a missile. I also have no scientific data to claim that a discharge could happen if that missile came to an abrupt stop, but I just won't risk it.
MyWifeSaidYes
jinxer

Post by jinxer »

all of these comments make sense.

it takes an extra second to insert a mag and hit the bolt release.

the car accident thought is a good reason not to have it inserted and chambered.

that said, i wonder what would happen wih our carry guns in the event of an accident as mine is chambered.

i carry in either an iwb side holster or thunderpants groin holster

id like to think its pointed in as safe of a direction as could be, but that could change real quick in an accident.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

{Channeling many years of Fire/EMS experience}: Generally, if the impact is hard enough to cause discharge of any safe, modern handgun in a holster, the crash has caused other serious injuries not related to the bullet. Like, life threatening injuries.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I had a low speed dismount from my motorcycle (~25 mph ) last fall while carrying IWB.
The pistol never moved. I did receive a fairly large bruise to my hip from the magazine carrier I use.

My helmet & collarbone didn't fare as well.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

jinxer wrote:...that said, i wonder what would happen wih our carry guns in the event of an accident as mine is chambered...
I have no fear of keeping a round chambered in my M&P handgun.

Most modern handguns have a firing pin block, keeping the firing pin from moving towards the primer if the trigger is not pulled.

AR pattern firearms do not have a firing pin block.
MyWifeSaidYes