Lucas county sheriffs making up their own rules

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

corrsk

Lucas county sheriffs making up their own rules

Post by corrsk »

Lucas county sheriffs are requiring CHL holders to notify change of address in person only.

https://www.co.lucas.oh.us/index.aspx?NID=547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right before I deployed my wife and I moved into our in laws old home. I notified the sheriff by phone and was told that if I wanted to get a new card with an updated address that I could and it was recommended but not required. I am now (about 5 years later) coming up on renewal time. This Lucas county requirement is only listed on their page. How should I handle this?
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
PM for class info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patriots- ... 1429217356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
corrsk

Re: Lucas county sheriffs making up their own rules

Post by corrsk »

Also I accidentally posted in wrong area. Can a mod please move?
PM for class info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patriots- ... 1429217356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'll send them an email and see what response I get. I may have to followup in a few days via phone if they don't reply. I like to start simple, then move on from there.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
run71324

Post by run71324 »

If I'm not mistaken, can't he renew in a neighboring county?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

run71324 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, can't he renew in a neighboring county?
Yes, but if you change your address you are suppose to: "The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee's residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change."

Even if this doesn't affect the original poster, it's flat out wrong and should be fixed immediately. Heck, they made it look official by saying the ORC tells them this, which it doesn't. I've got my email into them using their contact us form. It seems they have something against posting any of their email addresses online so they can't be contacted directly.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
corrsk

Post by corrsk »

I gave notice over the phone which took approximately 10 minutes to give then the information necessary to pull my information and provide them the new address.
PM for class info

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

You did as you were supposed to. I don't know where that $15.00 fee for the change of address comes from. I suggest you go to Wood Co. for your renewal. You will need to make an appointment through their web site.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I think they are combining the notification of a residence change and the $15.00 fee they can charge for a lost or destroyed license. Anything to try and get that buck. :roll:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Who would have thought that a web page entitled "Carry Conceal Procedure and Information" would have issues?
BobK

Post by BobK »

WestonDon wrote:You did as you were supposed to. I don't know where that $15.00 fee for the change of address comes from. I suggest you go to Wood Co. for your renewal. You will need to make an appointment through their web site.
There is a $15 fee to issue a replacement license, per statute. Someone who lost their license, or someone who had an address change and desired their license to show their correct address would fall under this $15 fee.

RC 2922.126(A) requires a licensee to notify the sheriff (which is free), but it does not REQUIRE an updated license. That should be optional.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

I'd report it to the attorney general.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

:D
djthomas wrote:Who would have thought that a web page entitled "Carry Conceal Procedure and Information" would have issues?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

gaptrick wrote::D
djthomas wrote:Who would have thought that a web page entitled "Carry Conceal Procedure and Information" would have issues?

Here is their response...
Good Morning!

Our office is checking with the Ohio Attorney General's Office about how we handle the change of address on a CCW. We have been handling it the same way since the law was created. If we are advised that this is incorrect the changes will be made accordingly.

Thank you for your interest.
We'll see if anything changes. I'll follow up in a week.

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... They are not capable of reading and understanding the law or they don't have anyone on staff that is capable of such? :shock:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Here is their response...
Good Morning!

Our office is checking with the Ohio Attorney General's Office about how we handle the change of address on a CCW. We have been handling it the same way since the law was created. If we are advised that this is incorrect the changes will be made accordingly.

Thank you for your interest.
We'll see if anything changes. I'll follow up in a week.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
corrsk

Post by corrsk »

Lucas county has been anti Ccw since the beginning.
PM for class info