Lucas county sheriffs making up their own rules

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

corrsk

Re: Lucas county sheriffs making up their own rules

Post by corrsk »

Just got a facebook message from the lucas county sheriffs office.

"Just talked with the Sgt. of the CCW Unit, you will have to call her at 419-213-4269 any time Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. til 3:00 p.m., and talk with her about your concerns. We get all of our updates from the AG 's Office, and at this point nothing has changed in the state of Ohio."

Apparently according to whoever runs the lucas county sheriffs facebook page no laws have changed since 2007 and it's the same AG

Interesting.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
PM for class info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patriots- ... 1429217356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I'm tempted to contact them myself this week, but Jedi has already reached out to them as OFCC. I just not sure an "interested party" from 185 miles away will be at all useful. ...may do it anyway.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

BobK wrote:
WestonDon wrote:You did as you were supposed to. I don't know where that $15.00 fee for the change of address comes from. I suggest you go to Wood Co. for your renewal. You will need to make an appointment through their web site.
There is a $15 fee to issue a replacement license, per statute. Someone who lost their license, or someone who had an address change and desired their license to show their correct address would fall under this $15 fee.

RC 2922.126(A) requires a licensee to notify the sheriff (which is free), but it does not REQUIRE an updated license. That should be optional.
I guess it varies by county and interpretation. I notified Miami County of my address change earlier this year and they sent me an updated license at no charge :D
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Don't play phone tag with the sheriff.

Contact Julia Bates, the Lucas county Prosecutor.

http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/index.aspx?nid=290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If you move... The $15 fee is if you have it reissued with the new address. You don't have to have it reissued for a change of address though. All you have to do is notify them of your change of address.

If you lose it then, yeah, you have to have it reissued and that is where the $15 fee comes into play.
BuckJM53 wrote:
BobK wrote:
WestonDon wrote:You did as you were supposed to. I don't know where that $15.00 fee for the change of address comes from. I suggest you go to Wood Co. for your renewal. You will need to make an appointment through their web site.
There is a $15 fee to issue a replacement license, per statute. Someone who lost their license, or someone who had an address change and desired their license to show their correct address would fall under this $15 fee.

RC 2922.126(A) requires a licensee to notify the sheriff (which is free), but it does not REQUIRE an updated license. That should be optional.
I guess it varies by county and interpretation. I notified Miami County of my address change earlier this year and they sent me an updated license at no charge :D
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
corrsk

Post by corrsk »

Per the lucas county sheriff website you Must notify in person so they can charge you $15 for an updated permit. They are saying you Must have a permit with the updated address.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
PM for class info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patriots- ... 1429217356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Then if they wanted $15 from me, they had better show me the specific ORC that says that.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:Then if they wanted $15 from me, they had better show me the specific ORC that says that.
What about the 1,127 that renewed there in 2014. How many paid the fee not knowing that section of the ORC? That's where my issue is. I'm sure some could argue and they would say "fine, not required" but the fact is they are posting that it is and I'm sure many will follow that as the letter of the law.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Oh, I'm not arguing that in the least. At best, they posting incorrect information. At worst, they are flat out lying on purpose. Either way it needs fixed and if they are doing it intentionally,they need smacked down. I'd even say they need to be forced by the courts to issue refunds.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

So I'm going to send them another email but I was trying to see if anyone knew if a new one of these existed...

https://www.co.lucas.oh.us/DocumentCent ... /View/1022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to send them a lengthy one showing their errors and copy the AGs office on it and hope that gets some action.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
docachna

Post by docachna »

CC'ing the County Commissioners is going be the most likely to get a response. The AG has the state to worry about. The Commissioners fund the S.O. If the High Sheriff is being lackadaisical or less than candid, the power of the purse has the most chance of getting his attention.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

docachna wrote:CC'ing the County Commissioners is going be the most likely to get a response. The AG has the state to worry about. The Commissioners fund the S.O. If the High Sheriff is being lackadaisical or less than candid, the power of the purse has the most chance of getting his attention.
I was thinking the AG because they keep claiming they are waiting for a response from them. I've dealt with different areas of the AG office before and have always had a response within 24 hours. They are also the oversight of concealed carry and the oversight of law enforcement in Ohio. I would think they would have an interest in preventing a lawsuit.

Unfortunately, I'm not threatening a lawsuit or I'd have an interest in the commissioners as well but somehow have a feeling they let the sheriff's office get away with these shenanigans.

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Marc Dann
Attorney General
State of Ohio
LOL - Well that explains why their info is so wrong. Maybe they don't realize it's not 2008 anymore.

I agree with CC'ing the AG's office. You should specifically call out that they're linking to this outdated doc as their FAQ instead of the current version.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Marc Dann
Attorney General
State of Ohio
LOL - Well that explains why their info is so wrong. Maybe they don't realize it's not 2008 anymore.

I agree with CC'ing the AG's office. You should specifically call out that they're linking to this outdated doc as their FAQ instead of the current version.
The problem is....where is the current one? I've never seen that document before so that may be the most current, at which point it would be best to just have it taken down.

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Marc Dann
Attorney General
State of Ohio

The problem is....where is the current one? I've never seen that document before so that may be the most current, at which point it would be best to just have it taken down.
Here is a link to the current one on the AG site. It is a PDF download.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/File ... aws-Manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: Didn't notice the 2008 link is a FAQ and not the actual manual.
Last edited by cashman966 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.