What Is Your EDC?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

4pocalypse

Re: What Is Your EDC?

Post by 4pocalypse »

Gen 3 G19 with Ameriglo Defoor rear and ameriglo thin tritium front with lime green luminous ring.
Extra mag usually in a pocket
Comfort Holsters Bentley IWB holster
Spyderco paramilitary 2 sprint run M390
Nitecore 500 lumen light
Wallet, keys, watch, iphone
Fail to plan, plan to fail
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

I wanted to update my EDC since it has been ever changing/growing since I first posted and its 2016 so why not! 8)

Here is where I am currently and really depends on my attire/mood.

Saddleback Bifold
Iphone 6
Keys
G43 or G19 in Raven Concealment Phantom
Neomag for spare mag or Raven spare mag single holder
Spyderco Delica 4/Paramilitary 2/Griptillian/Mini Grip depending on the day
Surefire G2X LE or Streamlight Microstream

TSiWRX also has me considering some kind of "ouch pouch" as well.
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I am really boring. My EDC is still pretty much the same as it was in 2011. I'm now looking at my first renewal, and I'm still using the same gun. :D

The round-count has gone up, but the guns have not changed. :oops:

Three changes as of my last update in April ( http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... 5#p4315535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) :arrow:

(1) The "weekend" flashlight. I very recently replaced the E2D/Malkoff M60/VME with a Surefire EB2T. I liked it so much that, as LegoGlock knows, I went off the deep end and bought another to have as a backup and training copy.

(2) I've moved my wallet to the left cheek pocket. After decades of it residing in the right cheek pocket, this took *a lot* of time to get used to, but I thought that it was good both for roadside traffic stops ("Officer, before we begin, I am required under Ohio law to inform you that I have a valid Ohio Concealed Handgun License and am currently armed. My weapon is holstered on my right hip." - with the wallet in the right cheek pocket, I could see this being more of a concern than I wanted it to be) as well as may be a tactical advantage against a mugging ("See, I'm getting my wallet out for you! Don't hurt me! I'm so scared!" - as I blade my body to access my weapon). This now allows me to carry a little EDC trauma/"ouchie" pack there instead ( http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/qui ... wat-t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I replaced the included "trauma pad" with a similar item that was a bit flatter, and I cut a vent in the packaging for the gloves so that it would also sit flat (since it's not sterile, anyway). The space I saved allows me to carry a couple of Band-Aids and Advil there, which is, let's face it, probably the most useful components of this kit, for everyday needs. :)

(3) The biggest change would be to my EDC itself. I recently put a Surefire XC-1 under it, which is now housed in a full-hardshell Kydex KT Mech Defender light-bearing holster (http://www.kt-mech.com/00_defender.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It sits in my usual preferred position, IWB at the 2:30 or so, using Comp-Tac tuckable IWB struts, paired with my Ares Ranger belts.

Those who know me know that I've been soul-searching for a new EDC handgun. For a while there, I was looking at the VP9, and more seriously lately, I'd been looking at Glocks. After sitting down and really doing some homework over the course of a few nights, I'm going to stick with the XDm platform for a bit longer. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

What cal.is your XDm, TSiWRX ? I have an XDm 3.8 and XDs 3.3 in .45 and decided to go to 9mm for the higher rd count, and just purchased an XD Mod 2 , 4",(9mm/16rd mags)......ya, I'm kind of partial to XD "stuff". If you were/are fond of the XDm and 9mm you ought to look at the Mod 2.....Thin, lightweight,(more or less), and fits my hand much better than the XDm.

While I'm here I'll update my carry assortment, (ya it's REALLY evolved), but it's three .45's, one 9mm and a 380 S&W Bodyguard.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:What cal.is your XDm, TSiWRX ?
Mine are all 9s. :) Cheaper to feed. :)
I have an XDm 3.8 and XDs 3.3 in .45 and decided to go to 9mm for the higher rd count,
And, of-course, the higher round-count is the other thing.

If I lived in a capacity-limited state, I'd probably go with bigger holes, and delve a bit deeper into better recoil management. As-is, though, I'm happy with carrying more rounds onboard.
and just purchased an XD Mod 2 , 4",(9mm/16rd mags)......ya, I'm kind of partial to XD "stuff". If you were/are fond of the XDm and 9mm you ought to look at the Mod 2.....Thin, lightweight,(more or less), and fits my hand much better than the XDm.
I haven't given it a try, yet, but I will! Thanks! :)
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

TSiWRX wrote:I am really boring. My EDC is still pretty much the same as it was in 2011. I'm now looking at my first renewal, and I'm still using the same gun.
That's not boring. It's consistency. Mine hasn't changed for years either, and there's really no reason why it should.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Hey, it's still boring! :lol:

I'm all for consistency. But it is boring! :P
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

I'll add my stuff.....

I didn't count my Saddleback Front Pocket ID wallet, my money clip, my keys or my cellphone.

Starting with the GEN 3 Glock 19 (Orange Trijicon HDs and SSVI TYR trigger) with 147 gr Federal HST in a Raven Concealment Eidolon, junk carried around 1 O'clock. I either carry the smaller Streamlight in the summer or the larger Surefire EB1 in the winter in my front left pocket. More darkness in the winter - and this is my only seasonal change. Zebra pen to write with, not a tactical wizardry pen, but it IS a steel pen in the same pocket as the flashlight. SOFTT-W Tourniquet, flat folded in my rear left pocket. Clinch pick worn horizontally at 11 O'clock. Bench made folder in my front right pocket. Held up by an Ares Gear Aegis belt.

This is pretty minimal as compared to some of the heavy loads I see on here - but I can easily carry this in a tighter fitting t-shirt and jeans in the middle of summer without printing. I don't normally carry a spare mag. If I need more ammo - I've already failed the "avoid bad places" qualifier as well as the unknown contact management/victim selection process. I only carry a TQ, usually, because that's the only problem I can't solve with the t-shirt I'm wearing or other items on hand. I don't concern myself with an NPA or anything to that effect because I'm no longer proficient in some of the more "advanced" skills since my time as a "Combat Lifesaver" in the 82d. I do keep a bigger blowout kit handy - Hemostatic agent, Israeli bandage, gloves, etc - in all of my vehicles, range bags, diaper bags, day trip bags, as well as more ammo. So it's never too far away, but these are my EDC items and I would hate to BS you into thinking I'm a 12 pants pocket wearing MFer. I'm a jeans and T-shirt guy, or a Kuhl pants with a cellphone pocket and t-shirt guy. I don't have cargo pockets to store my wobble and fishing line and water purifier and signal mirror and all that.

What I carry is based upon a few things.
One: a constant review of what I *actually* need to carry.
Two: pressure testing this equipment through training evaluation and Force on Force evolutions.
Three: What does the situation call for in terms of carry. Militarily speaking - METT-C - my environment, my "mission" per se, whose with me - all of that usually dictates whether or not I throw a bigger pocket first aid kit in my back pocket, throw a spare Glock 17 mag in my front pocket or on my belt, swap the 19 for an identically setup 17 etc.

Alright - I'm done channeling my inner Allen.
-Erik
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

EChryst wrote:I don't normally carry a spare mag. If I need more ammo - I've already failed the "avoid bad places" qualifier as well as the unknown contact management/victim selection process.
I'd also like to add that you Glock peeps probably offset not carrying a spare mag with the likelihood of - if something *really* bad is happening - being able to partake of "battlefield pickups," however gruesome that thought might be.

This actually was among my reasons - way, way down the list - for wanting to switch over to Blocks.
I only carry a TQ, usually, because that's the only problem I can't solve with the t-shirt I'm wearing or other items on hand. I don't concern myself with an NPA or anything to that effect because I'm no longer proficient in some of the more "advanced" skills since my time as a "Combat Lifesaver" in the 82d. I do keep a bigger blowout kit handy - Hemostatic agent, Israeli bandage, gloves, etc - in all of my vehicles, range bags, diaper bags, day trip bags, as well as more ammo. So it's never too far away,
I kept a diaper bag in the car, filled with spare clothes for my daughter, until literally last year. I hadn't opened it in so long - and it was kept under the floor-mat at my daughter's then rather short legs :lol: - that the zipper had rusted shut. I had to cut that sucker open last year when we were forced to use it. Yeah, that plan's changed. :oops: :lol:

OK, so now, a serious question for those of you who've had more med training than me.....

Is there really any need to carry anything more than "the big guns" of homeostasis - a TQ and maybe some Quick-Clot or the like - when it comes to things that *_I_* can do to keep someone alive until medical help arrives, given that I'm pretty much always in an urban-type setting? I mean, bleeding-out can happen rather fast, particularly with the hobby activities we partake in and the risks they carry. But....

I've shied away from NPAs and the needle cath., for one, because I lack the training...and also, how fast can tension pneumo develop? To my recollection (and it's been YEARS since I've had this stuff :oops: so please correct me!), vented patients can develop tension pneumo rather rapidly, but traumatic insult carries highly variable timing to onset, right? That without extensive training, I'm probably much better just not screwing around with this one. Right? Use a plastic baggie for a chest seal, OK, no-brainer. Even the NPA, I think I can still handle, and I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with it after some training (yes, I know, LegoGlock, I know :P ). But needle decompression? By a layman like me? Probably not a great idea, right?
Hey!!!! :oops:

Channel me some fried chicken wings, will ya?
Flyguy

Post by Flyguy »

Glock 19 or 26 depending , Holsters very somewhat but either a King tuk , Summer comfort , speed scabbard or mini scabbard . Blackhawk night ops light after dark or a AAA stream light just for utility , some kind of Kershaw knife but they rotate as they get dull . spare mag either in a mag pouch or cargo pocket . wallet keys , cell phone etc ......can of Copenhagen
ARMD RISPANS
Walk softly and carry a big stick
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

TSiWRX wrote:Is there really any need to carry anything more than "the big guns" of homeostasis - a TQ and maybe some Quick-Clot or the like - when it comes to things that *_I_* can do to keep someone alive until medical help arrives, given that I'm pretty much always in an urban-type setting?
No. Not really. Just a tourniquet and a trauma dressing or two should be fine. Quik Clot is extra gravy. You probably don't even need that in an urban setting. Not for stopping life threatening bleeds anyway.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
budman70

Post by budman70 »

I carry three different weapons depending on how I'm dressed, a kelp-tec p3at, glock 43 and a xds in 45. All iwb Mexican carry. No not all at the same time.
Chu Lai 67-68
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

TSiWRX wrote:
EChryst wrote:I don't normally carry a spare mag. If I need more ammo - I've already failed the "avoid bad places" qualifier as well as the unknown contact management/victim selection process.
I'd also like to add that you Glock peeps probably offset not carrying a spare mag with the likelihood of - if something *really* bad is happening - being able to partake of "battlefield pickups," however gruesome that thought might be.

This actually was among my reasons - way, way down the list - for wanting to switch over to Blocks.
I only carry a TQ, usually, because that's the only problem I can't solve with the t-shirt I'm wearing or other items on hand. I don't concern myself with an NPA or anything to that effect because I'm no longer proficient in some of the more "advanced" skills since my time as a "Combat Lifesaver" in the 82d. I do keep a bigger blowout kit handy - Hemostatic agent, Israeli bandage, gloves, etc - in all of my vehicles, range bags, diaper bags, day trip bags, as well as more ammo. So it's never too far away,
I kept a diaper bag in the car, filled with spare clothes for my daughter, until literally last year. I hadn't opened it in so long - and it was kept under the floor-mat at my daughter's then rather short legs :lol: - that the zipper had rusted shut. I had to cut that sucker open last year when we were forced to use it. Yeah, that plan's changed. :oops: :lol:

OK, so now, a serious question for those of you who've had more med training than me.....

Is there really any need to carry anything more than "the big guns" of homeostasis - a TQ and maybe some Quick-Clot or the like - when it comes to things that *_I_* can do to keep someone alive until medical help arrives, given that I'm pretty much always in an urban-type setting? I mean, bleeding-out can happen rather fast, particularly with the hobby activities we partake in and the risks they carry. But....

I've shied away from NPAs and the needle cath., for one, because I lack the training...and also, how fast can tension pneumo develop? To my recollection (and it's been YEARS since I've had this stuff :oops: so please correct me!), vented patients can develop tension pneumo rather rapidly, but traumatic insult carries highly variable timing to onset, right? That without extensive training, I'm probably much better just not screwing around with this one. Right? Use a plastic baggie for a chest seal, OK, no-brainer. Even the NPA, I think I can still handle, and I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with it after some training (yes, I know, LegoGlock, I know :P ). But needle decompression? By a layman like me? Probably not a great idea, right?
Hey!!!! :oops:

Channel me some fried chicken wings, will ya?

It can happen pretty quick.. Get some training!.. I havent trained in combat med since being out of the Corps.. I need to take some refresher courses.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Thanks for the encouragement, bruddah!

It's definitely high on the agenda for this year - but LegoGlock is gonna beat me to it!

I joke and say that I hope it happens to me instead of him, because he'll be able to patch me up, but I won't be able to do him any good. :oops: :lol: Oh well, at least he's leaving me all his stuff....... :P

-----

And updating:
TSiWRX wrote: (3) The biggest change would be to my EDC itself. I recently put a Surefire XC-1 under it, which is now housed in a full-hardshell Kydex KT Mech Defender light-bearing holster (http://www.kt-mech.com/00_defender.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It sits in my usual preferred position, IWB at the 2:30 or so, using Comp-Tac tuckable IWB struts, paired with my Ares Ranger belts.
This is now official.

I was finally able to vet the carry at the range yesterday, with the XC-1 underneath. ~50 rds. of my usual carry ammo, with no issues.

I'm going to wait until my next low-light class to completely test this setup before I double-down and duplicate it on my training gun, but it looks like I finally have what I want in a carry WML. 8)
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Thanks for the encouragement, bruddah!

It's definitely high on the agenda for this year - but LegoGlock is gonna beat me to it!

I joke and say that I hope it happens to me instead of him, because he'll be able to patch me up, but I won't be able to do him any good. :oops: :lol: Oh well, at least he's leaving me all his stuff....... :P

-----

And updating:
TSiWRX wrote: (3) The biggest change would be to my EDC itself. I recently put a Surefire XC-1 under it, which is now housed in a full-hardshell Kydex KT Mech Defender light-bearing holster (http://www.kt-mech.com/00_defender.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It sits in my usual preferred position, IWB at the 2:30 or so, using Comp-Tac tuckable IWB struts, paired with my Ares Ranger belts.
This is now official.

I was finally able to vet the carry at the range yesterday, with the XC-1 underneath. ~50 rds. of my usual carry ammo, with no issues.

I'm going to wait until my next low-light class to completely test this setup before I double-down and duplicate it on my training gun, but it looks like I finally have what I want in a carry WML. 8)

There's always an upside if you look for it!... I know he has lots of Glock mags! :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson