Gun Crime?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Gun Crime?

Post by SMMAssociates »

Just reading the OFCC "news" page this AM and there's an article that references "gun crime".

I hate that term....

We don't see "knife crime", or "rock crime", or "foot crime"....

While it's probably accurate, it's yet one more way to demonize gun ownership.

("Deadly Shooting" also bugs the [expletive deleted] out of me.)

The anti media tend to do stuff like this all the time, but I think it's something we should avoid.

The implication is that the presence of the gun causes the crime. No question that having a gun may facilitate the crime, but people were killing each other with rocks and other blunt instruments, or blades, for millenia, and it's quite likely that most of these crimes would have happened anyway.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Bugs me!

Post by Cruiser »

Not to hijack the topic but your comment.
Made me think of "A Dead Body was found etc.-----" How often have you heard that in the news!
SMMAssociates

Re: Bugs me!

Post by SMMAssociates »

Cruiser wrote:Not to hijack the topic but your comment.
Made me think of "A Dead Body was found etc.-----" How often have you heard that in the news!
Cruiser:

A "live body" isn't news :evil: .

Hijack away.... I was born, so to speak, on a CompuServe forum where a subject (header) matching the message text was a good way to get tossed off the forum, a scroll rate of three or four weeks was considered too fast, and thread drift was required.

Perhaps this topic should be "anti techniques of demonization" or some such, but then we'd have to raise our educational standards and....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jhfenton

Re: Gun Crime?

Post by jhfenton »

SMMAssociates wrote:Just reading the OFCC "news" page this AM and there's an article that references "gun crime".

I hate that term....

We don't see "knife crime", or "rock crime", or "foot crime"....

While it's probably accurate, it's yet one more way to demonize gun ownership.

The anti media tend to do stuff like this all the time, but I think it's something we should avoid.
I agree with you regarding references to "gun crime," "gun violence," or "gunmen." It's just another way to demonize firearms by partially attributing the violence to the firearms.

I don't see the objection to "deadly shooting," however. There are many "shootings" which do not result in any deaths, and that, therefore, are not "deadly." It's no different than referring to a "fatal shooting" or a "fatal stabbing."

John
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

John:
I don't see the objection to "deadly shooting," however. There are many "shootings" which do not result in any deaths, and that, therefore, are not "deadly." It's no different than referring to a "fatal shooting" or a "fatal stabbing."
Another "demonization" word, though, I think.... Problem is that being shot (or even shot at) is a very dangerous situation, and the use of a firearm where it's discharged (even if it's an AD or ND), makes it deadly regardless of the outcome. A friend of mine's daughter, some 20 years ago, was hit with a .22 (DV situation or "neighborhood issue") and took over a week to die. It was "deadly" the whole time, but she could have survived with a little bit better luck.

Semantics, again....

I feel, that the term, as usually used by the media, is equivalent to the "evil guns" codewords that they're also using. "Fatal shooting" or "fatal stabbing" is a fact. "Deadly shooting" is a "maybe"....

IMHO....

I just don't like to give 'em anything....

(In that vein, I'll repeat something I posted elsewhere. OH's "Open Carry" silliness in the car has resulted in my carrying larger and more dangerous weapons so I can more easily get my cover garments around them in some kind of compliance. Those who wish to protect the Bad Guys at my expense should note that.... :twisted: )

(AARGH - this is turning into a very polite discussion. I can't stand it....)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I like it when the media reports on a "drug deal gone bad" as if that's not what it was in the first place.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

I'm always puzzled by the term "innocent victims". I have never seen any reports about "guilty victims". Why not just "victims"?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Harlie

Why would

Post by Harlie »

Any of us expect the "Liberal/anti Media" to say any thing that didn't overemphasize their predijous against firearms and self defense. Finally the majority of people have come to distrust the print media in the last two decades. Like, how many times in print did you see that "Thomas Lee Dillon" of SE Ohio killer fame was a Journalism Major at OSU.
Clifton of Plain Dealer fame has survived doing what was illegal as did the Sheriff, due to "anti" types being in positions of power and control. Political correctness has over come truth and misuse, when it serves a purpose, is prevalent in all print media.
When a public figure, testifing before a Fed' Grand Jury, needs to debate the meaning of "Is" and this is accepted by the media and those who think along those lines, there is little hope for a ordinary person concerns to receive attention.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I think we may have "guilty victims" when a "drug deal goes bad" :evil: ....

"Innocent Victims" may be a "code word", too, in many cases, but it's also often just true. I don't worry too much about it, although it's getting into the oxymoron range, like "jumbo shrimp".

(Actually, I don't think that's an oxymoron, just hype-at-work. But you get the idea.)

"Drug deal gone bad" is a bit of a pro-drug message, IMHO, and "code" for "white suburban kid gets damaged by inner-city minority drug dealers." Political Correctness is an interesting concept....

Don't forget, too, that newspapers and other media need to sell their products (and soap), and need sensationalism to help do it. Stories about CHL's who protect themselves or others don't make the paper if nobody gets shot.... To some extent, of course, you can't make a case when nothing happens. It's hard to prove that the gun on my belt keeps my TV in my family room. IAC, the paper won't care unless somebody gets hurt or arrested, and will likely call me "nasty gun owner" instead of Law-Abiding CHL....

(Never mind that our law says that the BG can use a Kleenex to threaten me and I have to help him carry the TV to his car.... Well, almost....)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Since we're on the subject (my excuse for being off topic).

Isn't is sickening how the media treats President Bush?

How many times do you hear him referred to as Mr. Bush? He is NOT Mr. Bush.....he is PRESIDENT Bush.

And a darn good one too.

Okay...sorry...religion and politics....I know. :D