Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Post by TunnelRat »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:
Are there inconspicuous signs out there that a reasonable person isn't going to see? You betcha. Are there people out there who deliberately put themselves in a position to avoid seeing what a reasonable person would see? Affirmative there too. Both groups could be in for a rude awakening one day.
Probably there is one signs or more. We just not see it often.LOL
If you actually see the sign, or if a reasonable person would have seen the sign, then you are breaking the law. We don't do that.

If there isn't a sign, or at least one that is not conspicuously posted, then you're good to go.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

That "reasonable person" thing always scares me. It's not hard at all to find a ""reasonable person" who is sure that carrying a gun is illegal in a bank or that all guns must be licensed and registered. Or of course believe in that whole gunshow loophole myth.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

WestonDon wrote:That "reasonable person" thing always scares me. It's not hard at all to find a ""reasonable person" who is sure that carrying a gun is illegal in a bank or that all guns must be licensed and registered. Or of course believe in that whole gunshow loophole myth.
Perhaps, my point, however, is that you aren't going to get away with "I didn't see the sign", when one is plainly posted.

It is one thing if a sign is not properly posted. It is another thing to ignore signs that are.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TunnelRat wrote:
WestonDon wrote:That "reasonable person" thing always scares me. It's not hard at all to find a ""reasonable person" who is sure that carrying a gun is illegal in a bank or that all guns must be licensed and registered. Or of course believe in that whole gunshow loophole myth.
Perhaps, my point, however, is that you aren't going to get away with "I didn't see the sign", when one is plainly posted.

It is one thing if a sign is not properly posted. It is another thing to ignore signs that are.
Ditto. The two big ones that people "may" have gotten away with (I believe most, if not all are down now) are UDF and Petsmart. UDF had a small 3"x6" sticker in the middle of about 20 other stickers on the window. Their windows looked like the rear quarterpanel of a Nascar racing car. I actually never noticed them till someone pointed them out on here and I looked. Petsmart had the blue with a clear background posted on the bottom right corner that for many is hard to see especially if their carts are pushed up right against the doors. Basically, a reasonable person "may" miss those.

However, the majority are so plainly posted it's impossible to miss. Eastgate Mall use to have ratty ones on the far outsides of the doors. Now, they have them plainly in the middle of all doors. Can't miss them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Many JoAnn fabric stores in and around Columbus have 4"x4" signs at ankle height on the windows beside their doors.

They are the kind with a clear background.

Thanks to GleeDaniel for the zombie thread!
MyWifeSaidYes
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

This should probably be updated in light of SB 199 passage.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws