Drinking and CCWing no different than drinking and driving

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

arpjoe

Overblown

Post by arpjoe »

Individual responsibility has worked so well under the PA law for many years concerning carry of firearms in bars. Anyone who wants to restrict your right of personal protection because in their opinion you should not have any or no more than X amount of alcohol in your system is nothing more than a freedom grabbing nanny. All they want to do is wear down your liberty with what-if senerios to rationalize their argument which is no more than gun control. (If laws are created to prevent crimes why do we still have crime.)

If you screw up because of alcohol while carrying a firearm there are enough criminal laws with serious penalties to handle it without another government regulation to make us "safer." The individual is responsible for safe handling of a firearm. Because of a few that prove not to be responsible is not good enough reason to restrict everyone elses' right of personal protection. Remember that police protection will never be able to replace personal protection.
JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Overblown

Post by Petrovich »

arpjoe wrote:Individual responsibility has worked so well under the PA law for many years concerning carry of firearms in bars. Anyone who wants to restrict your right of personal protection because in their opinion you should not have any or no more than X amount of alcohol in your system is nothing more than a freedom grabbing nanny. All they want to do is wear down your liberty with what-if senerios to rationalize their argument which is no more than gun control. (If laws are created to prevent crimes why do we still have crime.)

If you screw up because of alcohol while carrying a firearm there are enough criminal laws with serious penalties to handle it without another government regulation to make us "safer." The individual is responsible for safe handling of a firearm. Because of a few that prove not to be responsible is not good enough reason to restrict everyone elses' right of personal protection. Remember that police protection will never be able to replace personal protection.
What you say is correct. I cannot logically argue against your good points.

However, fact remains that some people have to be protected from themselves and/or from hurting others.

Seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, smoking, drinking etc.....I don't advocate laws that dictate how we should live either.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can see both sides of the coin.
arpjoe

Rights Violation ?

Post by arpjoe »

I came across a very good article on the internet 6/20/05 and saved a copy. It is by Michael Huemer called "Is There A Right To Own A Gun?" that was originally published in Social Theory and Practice April 2003. The article's analysis would make a point that a general prohibition to carry a firearm because of possible misuse is a serious rights-violation of self-defense because the result that some of those individuals "would be murdered, robbed, raped, or seriously injured." To take away someone's most effective means of self-defense with the result that the person is killed is morally comparable to murder.

The history of PA concealed carry allowed in bars shows that the social harm caused by gunowners drinking alcohol while possessing firearms is greatly exaggerated. I can not argue that self-defense rights of non-criminal gun owners are overridden by the state's need to protect society from gun owners that misuse a gun caused by drinking too much. Idiots that would drink too much and misuse a firearm will still do it after any new regulation is passed. More disarmed gunowners will die by the hand of criminals made easy prey by misguided government regulation.
JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343