Question to be answered

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mike McDonald

Question to be answered

Post by Mike McDonald »

Help me here please. The way the in sight law is written can be interpreted many ways. Have 5 cop in a room and
have 5 interpretations. It dose say that you can put your fire arm in a container locked in plain sight while motoring in Ohio.
I have a fanny pac made to carry my fire arm. I lock it and place it on the seek next to me am I with in the law now? :?
USAF Sgt MAC
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

HB12 states in a locked case. Doesn't say what type of case it has to be.
It could be a pistol box with a lock or a gun rug with two zippers that could be sealed with a lock.
Mark

Re: Question to be answered

Post by Mark »

Mike McDonald wrote: in a holster and in plain sight on the person's person
I can come to no other logical conclusion than this means not concealed. There is no way that the gun can be in plain sight from every angle unless you strap it to the top of your head. It's hard to believe that at least this part of the law has not been clarified in over a year. Our wise Ohio politicians don't even have to change the law, just tell us what it means.

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
Mike McDonald

Post by Mike McDonald »

A few day ago I wrote this question.
Help me here please. The way the in sight law is written can be interpreted many ways. Have 5 cop in a room and
have 5 interpretations. It dose say that you can put your fire arm in a container locked in plain sight while motoring in Ohio.
I have a fanny pac made to carry my fire arm. I lock it and place it on the seek next to me am I with in the law now?
Any of you LEO out there if I was in a traffic stop would you be ok with the way I have my fire arm stored in
my fanny pac? :)
USAF Sgt MAC
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

This is a difficult question to answer, simply because all cops are not the same. Their bosses are not all the same, either. Several sheriffs in Ohio have done everything in their power to undermine the law... don't think for one minute they will give you any leniency.

The law was not specific enough about this, and personally, should be entirely omitted, so that the carrying of firearms is always treated the same, whether it is in or out of a vehicle.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
LEObb

Post by LEObb »

It depends on the LEO. Some will, some won't

Technically, your fanny pack alone is not a locked container. Unless you place a padlock between the zipper pulls, locking them together.

Personally, some would not have any issue with it, and may advise you about the wording of the law. The next LEO might not be so nice, or may not be so informed. From what is supposed to be understood, if the firearm is on your person, it is in the immediate control of yourself. If it is not on your person, it is readily accessible to anyone in the vehicle or anyone who would approach the vehicle.

Now I don't want to hear scenarios about this or that.. What if.., and the like. Each scenario is different, and would require different decisions regarding the outcome. The best policy is to err on the side of caution. In your case, I'd rather have it holstered on yourself in accordance with the law.

Now, define holstered on yourself. There's no langauge that says that you can or can't holster it in different ways. I came across a fellow who had a spare belt with a Fobus on it, draped over his left shoulder, diagonally to his right hip. Technically holstered in accordance.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Question to be answered

Post by Petrovich »

Mike McDonald wrote:Help me here please. The way the in sight law is written can be interpreted many ways. Have 5 cop in a room and
have 5 interpretations.
"Crazed gunman holds five police hostage."