D.Cam: Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

muxtech

Re: D.Cam: Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Goes Bers

Post by muxtech »

Perhaps you NRA instructors should teach students to recite the standard notification while you scream at them to SHUT UP and berate them, like a drill instructor. Maybe shoot a .40 cal overhead just to acclimate them to proper notification technique required. :shock:
Last edited by muxtech on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The British are going! The British are going!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

muxtech wrote:Perhaps you NRA instructors should teach students to recite the standard notification while you scream at them to SHUT UP and berate them, like a drill instructor. Maybe shoot a machine gun overhead just to acclimate them to proper notification technique required. :shock:
Until this stupid requirement is removed I will be shouting it as the LEO walks up. I'll reference this video if they get angry about the yelling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

blah wrote:Agree, MUCH worse than I had imagined in my mind. You give them a year? You are more generous than I. I say in a month. A man with this much anger and lack of self control should not have a badge.
I give it....well.....if he is off the road, it's only off the roads of Canton. I unfortunately see nothing that could cause his OPOTA certification to be revoked. He'll just go to another department and try to blend in.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
slickt0mmy

Post by slickt0mmy »

Just contributed to the Legal Defense fund through the http://www.ohioccw.org/cantonpd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; webpage. I encourage everyone to do the same. Also, count me in for a walk, if one is planned.
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

Not to sound like a kiss up, but thanks for Jeff G., Charben and OFCC, et. al for getting this ready and putting it up.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

slickt0mmy wrote:Just contributed to the Legal Defense fund through the http://www.ohioccw.org/cantonpd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; webpage. I encourage everyone to do the same. Also, count me in for a walk, if one is planned.
Ditto for me on the contribution and a stroll if needed.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

slickt0mmy wrote:Just contributed to the Legal Defense fund through the http://www.ohioccw.org/cantonpd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; webpage. I encourage everyone to do the same. Also, count me in for a walk, if one is planned.
I'll second that..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
fisher

Post by fisher »

2 things stick out to me (other than the physical threats and graphic alternative scenarios provided by the officer):

1. The officer says "Saw that (explitive) gun. But he didn't tell us." It seems that in the replay in his head that this went down in a way that is not consistent with reality.

2. The officer seems very upset that he was in the back of a car with a driver in the vehicle whom he was unaware was armed. I wonder if it is common to search the back of a vehicle before the occupants have been cleared. I am not even certain the car was not still running, or the keys at least still in the ignition. If the duty to inform were not present, as in most states, this concern of the officer would still be present.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
niXD45c
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by niXD45c »

The cop is responsible to secure the persons present when they take control of the traffic stop. Both cops forgot their training at the academy. This is a result of believing you are always right and always are smarter than the other guy. This is why cops end up in the jackpot.
It's a great day to be alive!
Dave
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

wobblygoblin wrote:Not to sound like a kiss up, but thanks for Jeff G., Charben and OFCC, et. al for getting this ready and putting it up.
This is a big deal and will likely be a game-changer for our cause. I had very little to do with any of this. Most of the work was done behind the scenes by many many other Coordinators like Jake, Morne, Meanstreaker, Mr. Magoo, dsk, and others. It was tough to keep this under wraps while the necessary work was done.

Stay tuned. We will need to have the entire OFCC "family" be united behind this guy. Someone already posted the link to the donation site. That is probably the most time-sensitive at the moment. This guy could use our help...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Cranky

Post by Cranky »

Wow! I've been following the original thread regarding this gross LE misconduct since day one, but didn't expect to see the video so soon - thanks to all who made that happen.

It's apparent that this officer shouldn't be permitted to work in law enforcement or carry a gun for the remainder of his life. If he is allowed to remain on the force, there should be a huge public outcry (cue pitch forks). He obviously suffers from rage behavior complicated by an over-inflated ego and brain cell deficiency. With a dash cam recording, did he really think he could get away with this assault and threat on the driver?

The City of Canton obviously has a huge liability problem as long as this officer remains employed with them. This video will haunt the city as long as his employment continues. If he is ever involved in a shooting (good or bad), the video will undoubtedly come into play during any proceedings. Of course the video also demonstrates so very clearly, the need to eliminate mandatory notification.

Has local (or larger) media been made aware of this?
Semper Paratus
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

This incident is grave enough that Removal of Notification should be emergency legislation. Clearly after this officers tirade it proves that CHL's are in danger of being shot when an officer has an emotional bad day or a bias or simply had very poor training in how to conduct a traffic stop..

Donation sent.
Last edited by pleasantguywhopacks on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Member NRA
Shaolin_dragon

Post by Shaolin_dragon »

Sent this to Cam Edwards in a PM. Didn't want to put it out on the NRA news FB page, without running it by Cam first.
I carry, because I care!
milligan740

Post by milligan740 »

Contributed to the defense fund. What a shocking abuse of "power" by the LEO. I respect what cops do but this is not conduct that the citizenry should view as acceptable. Who is this guy's captain? Can we write letters?
Primary: Glock 23 | BUG: Ruger LCP
Other guns: Glock 26, Mossberg 500 Persuader, S&W 686-6, Walther P22, S&W AR-15, NAA .22 Short, others.
95oRANGEcRUSH

Post by 95oRANGEcRUSH »

Cranky wrote:Has local (or larger) media been made aware of this?
I have submitted a brief synopsis of the video as well as the YouTube link to both the Canton Repository and Akron Beacon Journal. For final measure, I also emailed Eric Mansfield of Channel 3 News. I also sent him a message on Facebook with the video. He covers news in the Akron/Canton region. Others have submitted it to radio stations, etc.

Here is the Canton PD website: http://www.cantonohio.gov/police/
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. – Benjamin Franklin
Gun registration is a gateway drug. – Mark Gilmore