Van Wert County Fair

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Van Wert County Fair

Post by Cruiser »

Can someone in the area do a report for the Van Wert County Fairgrounds. That Fair is starting soon. Then add to database.
Here.
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnisaly

Post by johnisaly »

I need a report on Van Wert as well. Also, next week I'm also attending the following fairs and would like info on their current posting policy:
Hancock County / Findley
Fulton County / Wauseon
Hardin County / Kenton
Richwood Independant / Union County
John in Columbus
"The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent"
fox72

Post by fox72 »

I have inquired with the powers that be about the grounds being posted or not. I will update you all if and when I hear anything. Jamie.
fox72

Post by fox72 »

The fair grounds in Van wert do not allow concealed carry. I just received a email stating this. I am going to contact the sheriff this afternoon about this matter. Jamie
fox72

Post by fox72 »

Well, I just got back from the SO. They are saying the Ag. Society is private. The fairgrounds are private. But the fairgrounds are not posted! Whoever sent me the e-mail was wrong. Since they are saying the grounds are not public the fair buildings are not off limits, either. The Sheriff said they are not arresting someone if the buildings aren't posted. He spoke with fair board members and confirmed this in my presence. A happy occasion for a change!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Looks like I'll be able to pack when I drive to the fair with my horse. Maybe that's what she needs to win a race is a shot in the butt! Nothing else seems to work.

I stow my gun in my truck when I race, but since I drive inside the grounds at the fairs, if they post, I guess I'm superficially breaking the law. It is good news to hear the Van Wert doesn't post.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Now here's something of a quandry. We've been positing that since these Ag Societies receive state and county funds, and get favorable tax treatment, they should be treated as public property. And as such, the building can be posted, but the grounds can't be. Now we have one that claims to be private - and probably gets all the same monies and tax breaks - but their grounds and buildings aren't posted. Let sleeping dogs lie, I reckon?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

NavyChief wrote:Now here's something of a quandry. We've been positing that since these Ag Societies receive state and county funds, and get favorable tax treatment, they should be treated as public property. And as such, the building can be posted, but the grounds can't be. Now we have one that claims to be private - and probably gets all the same monies and tax breaks - but their grounds and buildings aren't posted. Let sleeping dogs lie, I reckon?
As I indicated on another topic. The Ohio Fairgrounds apply the laws as they interpite them. There is no order!
fox72

Post by fox72 »

Navy Chief, it really does bite that we are arguing something that in this case helps us.

Morally I felt pulled in different directions. At the point that he said they were private, I said that they weren't. When the people said they were private and they actually allowed CC and the sheriff agreed, I quit my protesting.

I asked, " So I just can't carry in the buildings?" Sheriff says yes you can if they are private and not posted.

I also stated if I knew they were posted but there were no signs I would be in violation. Not if there are no signs, he said.

He made a statement about what would happen if someone saw a sidearm. Seemed as if He was resigned to the fact it might be a pain for him, but he would just deal with it.

Basically, obey the law was what he wanted. Pretty cool outcome.
pps_dad

Re: Van Wert County Fair

Post by pps_dad »

I know this has been years ago but I'm looking into this as we speak. VW County Fair DOES post the entrances during the fair now. I have received some of the same answers that have already been posted here. I contacted Van Wert County Fairgrounds about them posting the No Guns signs at the entrances during the 6 day county fair. Here is their response, "Thank you for the question regarding the gun policy on the grounds, I would be happy to answer that. Yes, we do post signs on the grounds during the Fair for "No weapons/guns on the grounds". The Agricultural Society views the Van Wert County Fair as a youth based event & feel it's in the best interest of the public to have this posted during that 6day event.

I hope that this helps answer your question."

I then asked if the Ag Society formed and operate under the Ohio Revised Code chapter 1711.13 “Nature and powers of county society"? Their response, "The Van Wert County Fairgrounds is not owned by the county. It is owned by the Society which makes it private property.

So, what's the legal deal with this? Are they allowed to post or not?
OFCC Member
NRA Member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Best resurrection ever. 10 plus years
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

pirateguy191 wrote:Best resurrection ever. 10 plus years
Yep, over ten years and the fair board should know better. This has been discussed at length at the fair board meetings in Columbus over the years.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So, who is the property owned by?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Javelin Man wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Best resurrection ever. 10 plus years
Yep, over ten years and the fair board should know better. This has been discussed at length at the fair board meetings in Columbus over the years.
But......it's for the kids.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

pps_dad wrote:I know this has been years ago but I'm looking into this as we speak. VW County Fair DOES post the entrances during the fair now. I have received some of the same answers that have already been posted here. I contacted Van Wert County Fairgrounds about them posting the No Guns signs at the entrances during the 6 day county fair. Here is their response, "Thank you for the question regarding the gun policy on the grounds, I would be happy to answer that. Yes, we do post signs on the grounds during the Fair for "No weapons/guns on the grounds". The Agricultural Society views the Van Wert County Fair as a youth based event & feel it's in the best interest of the public to have this posted during that 6day event.

I hope that this helps answer your question."

I then asked if the Ag Society formed and operate under the Ohio Revised Code chapter 1711.13 “Nature and powers of county society"? Their response, "The Van Wert County Fairgrounds is not owned by the county. It is owned by the Society which makes it private property.

So, what's the legal deal with this? Are they allowed to post or not?
I went to the VW fair last year and saw they posted at the gate on Fox Rd. I didn't see any signs on any of the buildings inside the fair grounds.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.