Van Wert County Fair

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pps_dad

Re: Van Wert County Fair

Post by pps_dad »

DOA33 wrote:
pps_dad wrote:I know this has been years ago but I'm looking into this as we speak. VW County Fair DOES post the entrances during the fair now. I have received some of the same answers that have already been posted here. I contacted Van Wert County Fairgrounds about them posting the No Guns signs at the entrances during the 6 day county fair. Here is their response, "Thank you for the question regarding the gun policy on the grounds, I would be happy to answer that. Yes, we do post signs on the grounds during the Fair for "No weapons/guns on the grounds". The Agricultural Society views the Van Wert County Fair as a youth based event & feel it's in the best interest of the public to have this posted during that 6day event.

I hope that this helps answer your question."

I then asked if the Ag Society formed and operate under the Ohio Revised Code chapter 1711.13 “Nature and powers of county society"? Their response, "The Van Wert County Fairgrounds is not owned by the county. It is owned by the Society which makes it private property.

So, what's the legal deal with this? Are they allowed to post or not?
I went to the VW fair last year and saw they posted at the gate on Fox Rd. I didn't see any signs on any of the buildings inside the fair grounds.
WY_Not wrote:So, who is the property owned by?
They claim that it is owned by the Society and not the County so this makes it private property. The reason this came back up is the Van Wert County Fair posted the other day that their First Annual Gun & Knife show will be held in July...so, I started asking questions again.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I believe they truly do think it is Private Property. The last time I was by it during the week, all gates were closed. It was my impression that the Public does not have access except for Events? Can anyone confirm this?
We here in Mercer County treat our Fair Grounds more like a Public Park! :) Open all the time!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Cruiser wrote:I believe they truly do think it is Private Property. The last time I was by it during the week, all gates were closed. It was my impression that the Public does not have access except for Events? Can anyone confirm this?
We here in Mercer County treat our Fair Grounds more like a Public Park! :) Open all the time!
Just because it is public property, it does not have to be open to the public 24/7.

There are a number of court cases dealing with Agricultural Societies as political subdivisions which say that since they are organized under a state statute and receive public funds, they are a political subdivision. None of these cases deal with the firearms issue and it will probably take litigation to resolve the issue completely.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

Cruiser wrote:I believe they truly do think it is Private Property. The last time I was by it during the week, all gates were closed. It was my impression that the Public does not have access except for Events? Can anyone confirm this?
The main gates are always open while the secondary entrances are usually shut unless an event is being held.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

schmieg wrote:
Just because it is public property, it does not have to be open to the public 24/7.

There are a number of court cases dealing with Agricultural Societies as political subdivisions which say that since they are organized under a state statute and receive public funds, they are a political subdivision. None of these cases deal with the firearms issue and it will probably take litigation to resolve the issue completely.
So what do you think the next best step to take is? Contact the city prosecutor? Sheriff? Sergeant East at the Sheriff's office that takes care of the concealed carry?
OFCC Member
NRA Member
Ben Diss

Post by Ben Diss »

Are the fair grounds within the city limits?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pps_dad wrote:
schmieg wrote:

So what do you think the next best step to take is? Contact the city prosecutor? Sheriff? Sergeant East at the Sheriff's office that takes care of the concealed carry?
A city prosecutor would have nothing to do with it and the county prosecutor probably won't talk to you, but that would be the place to start.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

Ben Diss wrote:Are the fair grounds within the city limits?
Yes they are.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

Thanks schmieg!
OFCC Member
NRA Member
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

I drove by the entrances on Fox Rd and 127 main entrance yesterday afternoon and didn't see any signs hanging. I assume they only bring them out during a event on the grounds, any other time I guess they think it's ok for guns to be there. :|
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

DOA33 wrote:I drove by the entrances on Fox Rd and 127 main entrance yesterday afternoon and didn't see any signs hanging. I assume they only bring them out during a event on the grounds, any other time I guess they think it's ok for guns to be there. :|
They only post it during the 6 days of the fair...now they are going to start having gun shows and trader shows there but say they are still going to post during the fair. So they don't want guns there unless it makes money for them.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pps_dad wrote:
They only post it during the 6 days of the fair...now they are going to start having gun shows and trader shows there but say they are still going to post during the fair. So they don't want guns there unless it makes money for them.
Looks like I'm going to the Van Wert County Fair this year! :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I sent this through their 'Contact Us' form on the fair web site:
Two questions:

When is the next meeting of the Van Wert Agricultural Society?

Do you still have any "No Guns" signs posted at the entrances to the Van Wert Fairgrounds?

Since the fairgrounds are owned by the Agricultural Society, and the Agricultural Society is a political subdivision of the state pursuant to R.C. 2744.01(F) (see "Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming, 89 Ohio St.3d 551, 2000-Ohio-486"), the fairgrounds are public property and cannot be posted with "No Guns" signage (see "Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc. v. Clyde, 120 Ohio St.3d 96, 2008-Ohio-4605").

Buildings that are NOT standalone bathrooms, parking structures or shelters (shelter houses, grandstands, barns, stables, sheds, etc.) may be posted. This means you are limited to posting only buildings where Society employees are regularly present, such as a fairgrounds office.

If your legal counsel continues to advise you to maintain "No Guns" signage after reviewing the case law I have provided above, please let me know. I can provide you with a list of competent attorneys in your area.

This is a request for information from a political subdivision of the state according to the Ohio Public Records Act. I look forward to your reply.

-"MWSY"
February 28, 2017
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I got my popcorn ready for this one! Good Luck.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I sent this through their 'Contact Us' form on the fair web site: ...
Ohio's Friendliest Compliance Counselor strikes again (with a flourish)! :twisted:

I wish I had a cool title! :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor