Van Wert County Fair

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pps_dad

Re: Van Wert County Fair

Post by pps_dad »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I sent this through their 'Contact Us' form on the fair web site:
Two questions:

When is the next meeting of the Van Wert Agricultural Society?

Do you still have any "No Guns" signs posted at the entrances to the Van Wert Fairgrounds?

Since the fairgrounds are owned by the Agricultural Society, and the Agricultural Society is a political subdivision of the state pursuant to R.C. 2744.01(F) (see "Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming, 89 Ohio St.3d 551, 2000-Ohio-486"), the fairgrounds are public property and cannot be posted with "No Guns" signage (see "Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc. v. Clyde, 120 Ohio St.3d 96, 2008-Ohio-4605").

Buildings that are NOT standalone bathrooms, parking structures or shelters (shelter houses, grandstands, barns, stables, sheds, etc.) may be posted. This means you are limited to posting only buildings where Society employees are regularly present, such as a fairgrounds office.

If your legal counsel continues to advise you to maintain "No Guns" signage after reviewing the case law I have provided above, please let me know. I can provide you with a list of competent attorneys in your area.

This is a request for information from a political subdivision of the state according to the Ohio Public Records Act. I look forward to your reply.

-"MWSY"
February 28, 2017
Thanks! Looking forward to their response.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BB62 wrote:...

I wish I had a cool title! :wink:
Is "World's Tallest Midget" already taken? :-)
MyWifeSaidYes
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Has anyone check the county auditor's website for ownership/tax info?
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

I got this pm through Facebook today...
This is Mike Wortman. I'm a director on the Van Wert Co Fairboard. I would like to see if you would be willing to come to our next Fairboard meeting to address the issue of concealed carry during the fair. If you would give me a call 419-513-xxxx. Thanks.
Next Wednesday the 15th at 7:00 pm
I feel like they want to try and throw me to the wolves...
OFCC Member
NRA Member
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

pps_dad wrote:I got this pm through Facebook today...
This is Mike Wortman. I'm a director on the Van Wert Co Fairboard. I would like to see if you would be willing to come to our next Fairboard meeting to address the issue of concealed carry during the fair. If you would give me a call 419-513-xxxx. Thanks.
Maybe not, who knows.

Also let them know BOTH open carry and concealed is allowed.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
BB62

Post by BB62 »

pps_dad wrote:I got this pm through Facebook today...
So call him. Ask him what he means by "address", since the board has already gotten a note from My Wife Said Yes that covers the issue well from a legal perspective.

Ask him what he feels is necessary to add to that note - and if MYSY can't go, and it seems like it's worthwhile for you to go, the collective "we" can prepare you to make a presentation.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

Just got off the phone with Mr. Wortman, very respectful pro gun guy. He brought this issue up to the board Monday night after he seen some of the questions I was asking on social media. He has them agreeing that this needs revisited and wanted to know if I or any of us want to join him and at a meeting to give the pros of allowing concealed carry during the fair. This is his first year on the board and never knew that they posted during the fair. He, just like all of us, is a concealed carrier and would like to see this get reversed whether they are breaking a law or not. He even stated that since it is considered a youth event that makes it an even bigger target rich environment and would benefit having the signs removed. MWSY, would you be willing to assist me with making it to one of the meetings or help with putting information together about the legal side and the pro side of allowing concealed carry? He said it doesn't have to be next weeks meeting but he was just letting me know when the next one was. They are the 3rd Weds of each month.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd say the sooner the better. From this forum it seems to me fair boards have short attention spans or something.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pps_dad wrote:Just got off the phone with Mr. Wortman, very respectful pro gun guy. He brought this issue up to the board Monday night after he seen some of the questions I was asking on social media. He has them agreeing that this needs revisited and wanted to know if I or any of us want to join him and at a meeting to give the pros of allowing concealed carry during the fair. This is his first year on the board and never knew that they posted during the fair. He, just like all of us, is a concealed carrier and would like to see this get reversed whether they are breaking a law or not. He even stated that since it is considered a youth event that makes it an even bigger target rich environment and would benefit having the signs removed. MWSY, would you be willing to assist me with making it to one of the meetings or help with putting information together about the legal side and the pro side of allowing concealed carry? He said it doesn't have to be next weeks meeting but he was just letting me know when the next one was. They are the 3rd Weds of each month.
How many pros beyond the illegality of prohibiting it do they need?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pps_dad wrote:... He has them agreeing that this needs revisited and wanted to know if I or any of us want to join him and at a meeting to give the pros of allowing concealed carry during the fair.
"Allowing"?? That's adorable. :lol:
pps_dad wrote:...MWSY, would you be willing to assist me with making it to one of the meetings or help with putting information together about the legal side and the pro side of allowing concealed carry? ...
Absolutely, but I have to agree with schmieg...exactly what is there to discuss? :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
pps_dad wrote:... He has them agreeing that this needs revisited and wanted to know if I or any of us want to join him and at a meeting to give the pros of allowing concealed carry during the fair.
"Allowing"?? That's adorable. :lol:
pps_dad wrote:...MWSY, would you be willing to assist me with making it to one of the meetings or help with putting information together about the legal side and the pro side of allowing concealed carry? ...
Absolutely, but I have to agree with schmieg...exactly what is there to discuss? :wink:
He said he can't get a direct answer from them about the "private property" claim, they act like no one actually knows what's what. Which this doesn't surprise me. So more or less he would like to see both ends covered whether there is a legal issue or not, either way he doesn't want the signs to go up during the fair.
He also was unaware of the email you sent them through the "contact us" on their website.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
BB62 wrote:... I wish I had a cool title! :wink:
I like it! :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

BB62 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
BB62 wrote:... I wish I had a cool title! :wink:
I like it! :wink:
Q: What do a dwarf and a midget have in common?
A: Very little!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Javelin Man wrote: Q: What do a dwarf and a midget have in common?
A: Very little!
A: Both are being considered for starting quarterback by the Browns.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life