How long does it take to get your firearm back?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JohnZ

Re: How long does it take to get your firearm back?

Post by JohnZ »

Not sure about time frame, but when you do get it back...

http://www.pistolaccents.com/Storm-Lake ... p_686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...just sayin' :wink:
BobK

Post by BobK »

JohnZ wrote:Not sure about time frame, but when you do get it back...

http://www.pistolaccents.com/Storm-Lake ... p_686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...just sayin' :wink:
Why are you saying he should put a new barrel in the gun? So he can shoot someone and not have them match the ballistics?

In a real life concealed carry licensee scenario the licensee calls 911 after being forced to defend themselves. You surrender your handgun at the scene. :?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dakota426

Post by dakota426 »

It's a very good day. I placed a polite call on Friday afternoon to Lt Eichenlaub at the EPD. I requested that he call BCI and find out the eta on my pistol being tested and returned. I received a call back yesterday, Tuesday, July 5th at 1:20pm and the officer on the phone said that I could come down and pick up my pistol and he would be there until 3pm. I went down to the EPD at 2:30pm and waited for the officer. A few minutes later I was in an interview room. The officer placed a box on the table, asked for my drivers license then asked me to sign for my pistol. He then told me that I was free to go and to have a good day. I requested that he walk me to the door and place the box ln my hand out on the sidewalk because it was illegal for me to posses a firearm in the building. He replied that in this situation it would not be a problem and I would be ok to leave the building with my firearm. The EPD and most of the officers involved were proffesional and courtious to me. The only 2 negative comments would be that 1) it took this long to get my pistol back and 2) the 7 rounds of ammuntion that were in my clip and the casing of the round that jammed on the second shot were not returned to me. All in all the EPD gets a 'thumbs up' on how I was treated. I just wish that the officer that took my statement wouls have actually read it and then been more accurate in his report. I should've requested a copy of my hand written statement for my file.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin. February, 1775
Springfield SW9SC w/tritium night sites & Crimson Trace LG446
Springfield XD9 Service 4"
S&W Mod 29 (Make My Day)
Dan Wesson (2) .357SS 4", 6" & 10" interchangable barrels
Ruger Mk II SS .22 bull barrel
Beretta Neos .22 and a few others
JohnZ

Post by JohnZ »

I am glad you got it back and they didn't "lose" it or anything. Did you get it back in the same condition as when you surrendered it? Jam?!? You didn't say anything about a jam before, I am happy the situation still turned out for the better. Do you know what caused it?

Oh, and I was joking about you getting a new barrel. Sorry Bob, I would have replied about it a while ago, but I forgot where the thread was. :oops:
BobK

Post by BobK »

dakota426 wrote:... and the casing of the round that jammed on the second shot . . .
:shock: :shock: Wow, that is concerning. Personally, I'd be very leery of carrying that firearm in the future.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Muad

Post by Muad »

BobK wrote:
dakota426 wrote:... and the casing of the round that jammed on the second shot . . .
:shock: :shock: Wow, that is concerning. Personally, I'd be very leery of carrying that firearm in the future.
Those darn XDs, they're no good I tell you :) You should have bought a Glock (JUST KIDDING, I couldn't resist).

Glad to see all is well. How long did it take to get your XD back? I've always pondered on the thought of not having my EDC due to a situation like this, and how long it would take to get it back.

As for getting firearms returned by LEO, I once had to go pick up my Mother's handguns from her local PD after an incident, and the officer was extremely courteous and professional. That, and the one time I've been approached by a LEO and notified I was carrying, he was extremely cool (even talked guns for a few).

It's good to see these positive LEO/PD accounts.
Will C. / ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
dakota426

Post by dakota426 »

Well, the self defense incident was on March 15, 2011 and I received a call from the EPD on July 6, 2011 that it was available for pick up. I am looking into the jam. Possible 'limp wristing'? I really don't know. I am thinking about sending it back to Springfield for them to go through it and check it out. Upon inspecting and cleaning my XD after picking it up, the back of the guide rod appears to be chewed up and not smooth and there is also a spot on the side of the barrel that is shiny where the finish appears as if it has a gouge or something in it. The spot is opposite the muzzle end of the barrel. Anyway, just glad to have it back.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin. February, 1775
Springfield SW9SC w/tritium night sites & Crimson Trace LG446
Springfield XD9 Service 4"
S&W Mod 29 (Make My Day)
Dan Wesson (2) .357SS 4", 6" & 10" interchangable barrels
Ruger Mk II SS .22 bull barrel
Beretta Neos .22 and a few others
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

dakota426 wrote:Well, the self defense incident was on March 15, 2011 and I received a call from the EPD on July 6, 2011 that it was available for pick up. I am looking into the jam. Possible 'limp wristing'? I really don't know. I am thinking about sending it back to Springfield for them to go through it and check it out. Upon inspecting and cleaning my XD after picking it up, the back of the guide rod appears to be chewed up and not smooth and there is also a spot on the side of the barrel that is shiny where the finish appears as if it has a gouge or something in it. The spot is opposite the muzzle end of the barrel. Anyway, just glad to have it back.

Field strip it and take some pictures and post em. We can see if its just normal wear or not.

How many rounds are through this puppy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA