Can DWI conviction get a CCW?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ohioboy

Can DWI conviction get a CCW?

Post by Ohioboy »

Long story short, I screwed up just after I turned 21 and I have a DUI.

That was 2.5 years ago and now I am looking to get my CCW in Lorain Co. I read the main page and it doesnt looks like I am unable by law to get a CCW, but how many people in my situation have obtained thier license?
heathen

Post by heathen »

I had one about 20 years ago and was able to get mine. I don't think that is a reason they can fail you.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

I don't think they can refuse you for one DUI.

On the other hand, the CAN refuse you if you exhibit the propensity to abuse alcohol.

2 or 3 underage use complaints, a DUI shortly after you became legal and a couple of similar infractions and I could easily see them tellilng you to try back again after staying clean for 3 - 5 years!

Buckshot
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

The BMV wants certification from a doctor or alcoholism counselor that you've completed treatment and stayed sober before they reinstate your driver's license. There is no such requirement for a sheriff -- he can use his own judgement in making a decision. Here is the AG's opinion on the matter.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I had TWO DUI before 11/12/91, I got my CHL no problems.

I would advise anybody who thinks there is any way they could end up with another OVI, NOT to get a chl...........in other words if you still have poor enough judgement to drive intoxicated...then please think real seriously about the situation a CHL places you in. Now if you are a police officer, then it is all cool because the rules don't apply....professional cuortesy will get you out of the OVI.

I never heard the BMV to care a hoot about whether a person had gotten treatment, gotten sober, stayed sober etc. on a first DUI. Now my last contact with them on that issue was in 1991, but the JUDGE os the one that orders treatment as a condition of getting your lic back not the BMV.

Bill
Luv2Camp

Re: Can DWI conviction get a CCW?

Post by Luv2Camp »

When I recently renewed in Delaware, I asked if I would walk out with the new permit or if they would have to mail it to me. I was told that depended on me. They said that when they run the background check if I had a clean record I would walk out with it. If I had anything like dui on my record it would take some time and be mailed to me. Assuming from that response that a dui may not be a 100% disqualifier.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Luv2Camp wrote:When I recently renewed in Delaware, I asked if I would walk out with the new permit or if they would have to mail it to me. I was told that depended on me. They said that when they run the background check if I had a clean record I would walk out with it. If I had anything like dui on my record it would take some time and be mailed to me. Assuming from that response that a dui may not be a 100% disqualifier.
Different states have different rules. Here in Ohio, a single DUI isn't going to be an issue.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

thepast123 wrote:Hi
If you have a suspended driver's license, your state will likely require you to:
Refrain from driving for a period of time.
Enroll in a defensive driving course or traffic school.
Get an SR22 from your insurance company.
Pay a reinstatement fee.
Not entirely on topic... :roll:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

If you bump a -TEN YEAR OLD- necro-thread, I don't know if it matters how on-topic your post is! :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

Sevens wrote:If you bump a -TEN YEAR OLD- necro-thread, I don't know if it matters how on-topic your post is! :lol:

So now I am totally confused. I see that my post was the one that brought this sleeping post back to life but it showed up on my page as a thread with a new post when I logged in the other day. I responded to it but did not look at the date of the last post. Why would this show as a thread with a new post in it if it had not been responded to in 10 years?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

No big mystery-- there was a post directly before yours that did the bumping. It has since vanished.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It was spam. "thepast123" tossed some ad links into the post they quoted.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

sodbuster95 wrote:
thepast123 wrote:Hi
If you have a suspended driver's license, your state will likely require you to:
Refrain from driving for a period of time.
Enroll in a defensive driving course or traffic school.
Get an SR22 from your insurance company.
Pay a reinstatement fee.
Not entirely on topic... :roll:
That was a garbage posting troll of some kind.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

OMG I hate it when people call it a "CCW"...which actually is an acronym for a felony offense "carrying a concealed weapon". I suggest that we modify the Forum's censorship software here to automatically change back into CHL any attempts to post the letters "CCW". :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:OMG I hate it when people call it a "CCW"...which actually is an acronym for a felony offense "carrying a concealed weapon". I suggest that we modify the Forum's censorship software here to automatically change back into CHL any attempts to post the letters "CCW". :mrgreen:
Heh. How would we even get here to the forums then? :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.