How do you keep track of the CCW laws in other states?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

How do you keep track of the CCW laws in other states?

Post by Roller »

Each state has its own laws, tricks and traps for the legally armed law abiding citizen. As you travel from state to state how do you know that you are complying with the local CCW law? I guess that one way would be to take the computer with you and check the local states web site as you enter each state. Personaly, if I'm on vac. I really don't want to see a computer.

Here's the method that I settled on that works for me. I have a 3" three ring binder sectioned off with the states that I am most likely to visit for business or vac. In each section, is a copy of the states CCW law and the law on the use of force or lethal / deadly force. Specific, pertinent information on a specific subject for that state is also there. Each year I go to each states web site and check the current law vs the law I have in my "go book". If the even the format changes, I print out a whole new section and throw the old section away (laws change and ignorance is no excuse).

All of the information is the code for laws, not a summary from some web site or organization. While I have found these sites to be accurate, I believe that you are better off with a copy of the official code as published on the states web site.

The best starting place is Packing.org. I have found this site to be thorough with accurate links and active links.

This sounds like a lot of time but it really isn't. I have 19 states in the book and I completed the annual udate last year in about 1 week of evening work, 1 - 2 hours each evening. And it's easy. Anybody using this site can get the information.

When I travel, I review the state laws where I'm going before I leave. Then I toss the book in the trunk as a ready reference in the field.

Being always open to new and better ways, how do you handle the problem of knowing the CCW law in other states?

Roller
Stay safe; Check 360
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Each time I go to another state I visit packing.org and read over the laws. That way i don't get states confused or miss any new developments. I don't really write anything down, I commit anything important to memory. Usually if I am in another state I know the specific places I will be so I don't worry about school laws, government building rules, etc. I check requirements to inform, car carry/transport rules, any posted sign rules, and restaurant rules.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Ditto on that. I always make packing.org my first stop before visiting another state. Hell, that site has even influenced my vacation plans.

No reciprocity or recognition? No travel![/url]
Last edited by Daniel on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

You can always buy the Guide to the 50 states off our website :-)

I know that we don't have too many left and we may not get more until 2006, so if there is a large interest in purchasing these from OFCC we'll restock our store.

The book is updated annually.

https://www.ohioccw.org/catalog/product ... cts_id=119
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.