What's most important?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Captain Bob,

The part of HB 12 that delt with having the firearm locked up if juveniles were in the vehicle was removed before it was passed onto the Governor for his signature. You can legally have the firearm in a holster, on your person and in plain sight if there are juveniles in the vehicle.
Brian_Horton

Re: Most needed change(s)

Post by Brian_Horton »

Captain Bob wrote:But, another really bad part of the car carry requirements is that you must lock up the gun if there are small children in the vehicle with you.
Captain Bob,

There is no requirement to lock up your gun with minors in the vehicle. It is not in the law. You were apparently told or taught wrong. You may open carry your gun in a vehicle with children in it just the same as you would if it is just you in it. This locked up with kids in the car provisision was on an older Senate version of the bill. It was changed and not passed and therefore never the law. You should go read the OFCC FAQ's on car carry again. I feel bad for you if you have been carrying this way for so long. It is not necessary.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
ColGlock

Post by ColGlock »

Captain Bob wrote:I heartily agree with the "votes" for dumping the "in plain sight" provision for car (and especially motorcycle) carry. But, another really bad part of the car carry requirements is that you must lock up the gun if there are small children in the vehicle with you. This also needs to be changed so as to not disarm CHL holders at a time when a carjacker sees a great CPZ opportunity.[/img]
You do realize that your ignorance of the Concealed carry laws is showing.

Please try one (perferably all) of these steps to correct it:
* Read the text of the law (AM HB12) http://www.ohioccw.org/files/HB12-final2004.pdf

* Read the AG Pamphlet http://www.ag.state.oh.us/web_applicati ... 319-72.pdf

* Take a CCW class.

FYI there is nothing in the law about children in the car.

ColGlock.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

1. Make all businesses that extend an invitation to the public unable to forbid a legal handgun.

2. Make all private businesses or property owners fully liable for any incident that involved a disarmed person on their property being injured or killed, because they prevented the victim from fighting back.

3. Make the police ask for a concealed firearm, rather than present one on their own, so that there is no mistake on what the police officer expects when the gun comes out.

4. Instate the Castle Doctrine in Ohio.

5. Disseminate the Media Access Loophole, so that anti-gun retards cannot victimize the public.

6. Dismantle the rules involve traveling with firearm.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Private property misdemeanor /CPZ language :evil: .

I run in to more inconvenience with this part of the law than any other - including the indefinable "plain sight" :!:

Would prefer something like "must leave if asked"...
RonS

Post by RonS »

Vehicle carry.

Restoration of the affirmative defense.

Secure storage in employer parking areas similar to Oklahoma. (This is just the recognition of the employee's car as an extension of their home.)
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Captain Bob wrote:*snip* another really bad part of the car carry requirements is that you must lock up the gun if there are small children in the vehicle with you.
Frequent Stonewall Range in Brecksville?
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

ODNR is the Burr! What you are talking about is a regulation made by ODNR not law. They are still living in the pre CCW era. They have a Poaching mindset, not self defense!
I do Hunter Ed for the ODNR I agree they look at everyone as a poacher first. I'd still like the see the section of the ORC dealing with this changed. I've been on the bad end of " in the dark with only a bow and a pack of ferel dogs!" Matter of fact I think that just may be my number one thing I want and I'll wait on getting to dine out with the gun on.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Captain Bob wrote:I heartily agree with the "votes" for dumping the "in plain sight" provision for car (and especially motorcycle) carry. But, another really bad part of the car carry requirements is that you must lock up the gun if there are small children in the vehicle with you. This also needs to be changed so as to not disarm CHL holders at a time when a carjacker sees a great CPZ opportunity.[/img]
Where are you getting your misinformation? There is nothing in the current version that requires the CHL to lock up the gun if there are small children in the vehicle with you!
It was in the original version.
Captain Bob

Most important...

Post by Captain Bob »

Well, thanks for all the replies regarding my misinformation. As I don't have any small children, I have never had to do this and didn't look into it as closely as I would have if I was going to be affected by this provision. I'm certainly glad to hear that it's a dumb one that didn't make it through.
I guess this shows that with all the "hoopla" involved with proposing HB12, promoting HB12 and modifying HB12, some things stick in your mind as this is the way it is when it's finally passed. Guess I do need to reread it. Perhaps I really don't need to have that day-glo orange sign on the back of the car that says "I've got a gun in here!" after all. 8)
medphys3

CCW Law

Post by medphys3 »

My biggest concern is the posting of "No Guns" signs. These signs are going to be the downfall of concealed carry. Every time someone sees a sign posted outside of a bank or hospital, it reinforces their (WRONG) belief that the law prohibits carrying in these establishments. I have had three incidents where I had to explain to people that it is the administration or manager that chooses to prohibit firearms, not state law.

Unfortunately, the OAC gives an example of what the sign should look like for off limit areas (Govt' buildings...) and private businesses and others have used it as a template.

I would like to see the law changed so that businesses can only prohibit concealed carry, since that is what the law allows. Technically, this would allow for open carry, but this probably wouldn't happen too often.

I would also like to see a 8"x6" placard that simply states that concealed carry is prohibited, since that is what the law has allowed. That "No Gun" sign is a huge crime magnet and I believe just makes people more aware of the fact someone COULD be carrying, which can be intimidating and can put the viewer on the defense.

By the way, I for one am only opposed to the MANDATORY open carry in vehicles. I think open carry is a much better crime deterrent than concealed. Sure concealed possibly gives you the advantage of surprise, but open carrying tells the world "I am prepared to defend myself, go find another victim."

Todd in Haskins
garyv311

Post by garyv311 »

mattswabb wrote:Vehicle carry rules :!:

matt

+1 !!!!!
~ The Golgothan
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

What?

Post by Cruiser »

You like the current car carry? It should be the same as some states that treat the vehical the same as a home. It is up to you how to carry in it.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

Yup, I am a firm believer in the mollifying effect of open carry.
I would be too, if more people did it. Since they don't, if someone wanted to start some crap, who do you think will be off'ed first?[/quote]
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Rami

Post by Rami »

I started this thread to see what changes people thought were needed. Mostly along the line of vehicle carry (my biggest headache) vs the media loophole that we hear so much about. I know that MANY things need changed in the law but if too many are introduced at one time it will have little chance of happening (Unless we get a GOOD governor). The roadside rest CPZ also need to go.