CCW Class, Roger Polk

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stealie

Re: CCW Class, Roger Polk

Post by Stealie »

My wife and I took Rogers' class last year and he never mentioned open carry one way or the other. He covered the A.G. handbook thoroughly. He is very passionate about everyone getting their CHL. I have found all the information, from his class, backed up here on OFCC and would highly recommend his class to anyone.
We can't stop here... this is bat country.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Res Ipsa Loquitur
Starwatcher

Post by Starwatcher »

gilly32 wrote:
As I understand it, a participant in one of his classes claimed he was informed that once you have your CHL, it would be illegal for you to open carry. Can any of you that have taken his class recently, confirm if this was the way it was presented in the class?

I can tell you I did not walk away with that feeling at all nor did I ever hear him say you where locked into CC but he is a big supporter of CC and gave me the feeling if there was an option ( and there is) he would CC over OC for reasons that are stated by those that opt to CC on the board. But that just my feelings, Bottom line I never heard him say such a thing.
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

michaelap wrote:GatorNavy
He charged $45 The guys who help-- local detective/range coach etc they are volunteers

Cool, mine was $35 in 2008, there were no Police or Lawyers there to help, just his Nephew and every bit of info my instructor gave was dead on.
We also had the class portion in the banquet room of a restaurant and the waitress would come back to see if we wanted anything to drink and we didn't have to go anywhere for lunch :D
Come and get'em
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

captmud wrote:Michaelab you state you live in ohio but i assume you are operating on a virginia resident license. when you moved to ohio would that license become invalid

"reciprocity" here is a link
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

You folks know that one class can't fix everything, we have to keep up to date and continue our own education and I sincerely thank the good men and women who take care of this site. We are all lucky to have OFCC on a daily basis.
captmud

Post by captmud »

i think you are missing my question. if you have a valid virginia resident license and dont live in virginia, it seems that it would no longer be valid to use in ohio. i dont know what the period to change it is, if there even is one.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

captmud wrote:i think you are missing my question. if you have a valid virginia resident license and dont live in virginia, it seems that it would no longer be valid to use in ohio. i dont know what the period to change it is, if there even is one.
Virginia does not revoke permits when a person moves out of state, and Ohio doesn't care if you're a resident of the state, just that you have a valid permit.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

jabeatty wrote:
captmud wrote:i think you are missing my question. if you have a valid virginia resident license and dont live in virginia, it seems that it would no longer be valid to use in ohio. i dont know what the period to change it is, if there even is one.
Virginia does not revoke permits when a person moves out of state, and Ohio doesn't care if you're a resident of the state, just that you have a valid permit.
Would your Ohio license become void if you moved out of Ohio? I saw another comment today regarding this so it made me wonder? It seems to me to be another drawback to having an Ohio chl.
BobK

Post by BobK »

michaelap wrote:Would your Ohio license become void if you moved out of Ohio?
This is one of those cases where there is a discrepancy between what the law says and what actually happens.

The law (R.C.2923.126) requires you to notify the issuing sheriff of your new address within 45 days.
(A) . . .The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee’s residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.
The law (R.C.2923.128) also specifies a process for license revocation. Nowhere in that statute does it state that a license should be revoked when someone moves out of state.

However, sheriffs are routinely revoking them when someone moves out of state under the pretext that licenses can only be issued to residents.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Thank you, this idea of ones permit/license becoming void just seemed alien to me. If I end up just going ahead and getting the Ohio license, I think a couple non resident cards should go with it.
Last edited by michaelap on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunkeru2k

Post by bunkeru2k »

Stealie wrote:My wife and I took Rogers' class last year and he never mentioned open carry one way or the other. He covered the A.G. handbook thoroughly. He is very passionate about everyone getting their CHL. I have found all the information, from his class, backed up here on OFCC and would highly recommend his class to anyone.

not to nitpick....but if someone covered the AG book thoroughly then they HAD to address open carry as there is a very clear passage in said blue book abou tit.
Starwatcher

Post by Starwatcher »

bunkeru2k wrote:
Stealie wrote:My wife and I took Rogers' class last year and he never mentioned open carry one way or the other. He covered the A.G. handbook thoroughly. He is very passionate about everyone getting their CHL. I have found all the information, from his class, backed up here on OFCC and would highly recommend his class to anyone.

not to nitpick....but if someone covered the AG book thoroughly then they HAD to address open carry as there is a very clear passage in said blue book abou tit.
page 18
Open Carry
Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms.
If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal
activity in Ohio.
That being said has very little to do with a CCW class designed to prepare people for a CHL.
Clear Skies and
Keep Looking up
NRA Member
OFCC member
Stealie

Post by Stealie »

bunkeru2k wrote:

But you are picking nits, now aren't you? Not to nitpick but have you ever heard of spell check?
We can't stop here... this is bat country.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Res Ipsa Loquitur
Hask12

Post by Hask12 »

Just so we can move on to more important things: Roger Polk believes very strongly in Concealed Carry. He also believes in an individual's right to carry openly, and acknowledges the fact that it is legal to do so in Ohio. He has never said otherwise. But he does feel that CCW is the better way to go. I would also like to point out the Roger has never come on this forum and made disparaging remarks about other classes or other instructors, and he refuses to come on here to defend himself against negative remarks made about him by others. (I do that) :x . His only goal is to help those who wish to get their CCW license to do so, and to do it at a reasonable cost. To those who have taken the time to post positive remarks, thank you. It's word of mouth that keeps this course booked to capacity, and the fact that it's obvious that Roger believes in what he is teaching. We're all in the same boat here people. It doesn't do any good to be knocking other instructors or their classes unless there is a real reason to do so. This is not one of them, this is all pure conjecture, actually it's total nonsense. Move on.
theqbn

Post by theqbn »

This thread had already gone several months without posts, can we please let it die again?
[ no longer active ]