Post Office parking lot?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Otter

Re: Post Office parking lot?

Post by Otter »

The government and the post office have created this law so that in case one of their employees goes "postal", they will not be injured by a citizen trying to defend themselves. This is just another perk for our government and postal employees. They enjoy wages, retirement packages, medical insurance, vacation time, and sick leave that the average citizen is denied.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Otter wrote:The government and the post office have created this law so that in case one of their employees goes "postal", they will not be injured by a citizen trying to defend themselves. This is just another perk for our government and postal employees. They enjoy wages, retirement packages, medical insurance, vacation time, and sick leave that the average citizen is denied.
I can't imagine why any of them would go "postal". What a job! The most stressful thing they have to worry about is how long to the next break! I could see where the mail carriers in the cities may get stressed out a little though.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

The PO has drastically changed as a job, new hires do not get the perks the old timers do. Not that they should, but it sounds akin to working at a big box store now as far as pay and benefits goes.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
dirtydeeds

Post by dirtydeeds »

willbird wrote:If you read the law you will see that the offense is equal to spitting in the PO, and the penalty is the same too.
True, unless you're a USPS employee, in which case you're canned.

I'm a city carrier and have to park on street because I carry to and from work. This is an area frequented by hookers, crackheads, and like. It just ticks me off that instead of parking in a fenced-in, gated parking lot, which is fairly secure, I'm relegated to parking on the street. Needless to say, not very secure. Will I stop carrying to and from work in Columbus? Hell no.
willbird wrote:The PO has drastically changed as a job, new hires do not get the perks the old timers do. Not that they should, but it sounds akin to working at a big box store now as far as pay and benefits goes.

Bill
This is true if you're talking about transitional employees, those hired until automation is fully implemented. New career employees will eventually have the same perks as us old timers.
djmac1964 wrote:
I can't imagine why any of them would go "postal". What a job! The most stressful thing they have to worry about is how long to the next break! I could see where the mail carriers in the cities may get stressed out a little though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one. Here's another one, the PO is subsidized with your tax dollars. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dirtydeeds on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can always tell the terrorist by his cologne and the watch on his wrist. - Clutch
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I remember back in the 60's you had to be a Veteren to get a job with the Post Office. And they were all men back then.
willbird wrote:The PO has drastically changed as a job, new hires do not get the perks the old timers do. Not that they should, but it sounds akin to working at a big box store now as far as pay and benefits goes.

Bill
Abandon ye all HOPE!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

dirtydeeds wrote:

Bill
This is true if you're talking about transitional employees, those hired until automation is fully implemented. New career employees will eventually have the same perks as us old timers.
Well that is the kicker, the people I know who got hired in have been "transitional employees" for YEARS. What is going on is the standard union game of sell out the new hires so the old hands can keep their gravy, most of those people if they ever DO get fully hired will never get the gravy.

Not that they SHOULD, but it is a crooked system and might as well be acknowledged for what it is.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

It looks like the post office trusts us about as much as they trust their own employees. About 20 years ago I worked on a new post office project. There was a section in the specs about a specific door that had a lockset not on the master schedule. The door led to an elevated walkway with mirrored glass. That key had to be kept secure and could not be passed to anyone, including the person installing the lockset.

The key was eventually passed to a postal agent who could pull in the lot, access the door, and spy on the employees to prevent theft. Not even the post master would know he was there.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

IIRC - the whole "going postal" thing is an urban myth.
There was a, relatively, short period of time when several incidents of postal workers going over the edge occurred but, in fact, over all, postal workers are just about exactly as stable as any other labor group when it comes to rampages in the work place.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
dirtydeeds

Post by dirtydeeds »

willbird wrote:
dirtydeeds wrote:

Bill
Well that is the kicker, the people I know who got hired in have been "transitional employees" for YEARS. What is going on is the standard union game of sell out the new hires so the old hands can keep their gravy, most of those people if they ever DO get fully hired will never get the gravy.

Not that they SHOULD, but it is a crooked system and might as well be acknowledged for what it is.

Bill
Don't get me wrong, I believe that all new hires should be career employees, but since I was hired the union has gotten weaker and management has gotten greedier. There are way too many chiefs. PM me if you would like to discuss it further, I don't want to hijack this thread.
You can always tell the terrorist by his cologne and the watch on his wrist. - Clutch