CCW on a private fishing boat

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Terry Wolf

CCW on a private fishing boat

Post by Terry Wolf »

I noted a recent thread on this subject which was inconclusive so I sent an email to the Ohio Watercraft folks and got the following reply immediately. I tip my hat to them.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/o ... oplaws.htm
Firearm Restrictions
(ORC 1547.69, 2923.12)
Except for persons legally engaged in hunting, no person shall discharge a firearm while in or on a vessel.
Except for persons legally engaged in hunting OR persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a loaded firearm in a vessel in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger.

Except for persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a firearm in a vessel, unless it is unloaded and carried in a closed package, box, or case OR in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped.

This section does not apply to the possession or discharge of a United States Coast Guard approved distress signaling device when the device is possessed or used for the purpose of giving a distress signal. Such signaling devices shall only be loaded immediately prior to discharging a legal signal of distress.

No person shall operate or permit operation of a vessel in violation of this section.

Also,

This law can be viewed in its entirety at the library or on-line. Please refer to the Ohio Revised Code Section 1547.69. In particular (H), covers what is permitted when you have a valid Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. I usually use the following website when referring to our laws.

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.co ... lepage.htm

You may contact our Law Enforcement Administrator - Officer Todd Doncyson at 265-6480, if you have further questions.

Officer Cynthia J. Bellar
LE/SAR Coordinator
Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Division of Watercraft
(614) 265-6480
cindy.bellar@dnr.state.oh.us
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

There are those on here that believe it is ok to be underway with the firearm concealed. It is going to depend on what branch of the government stops you as to how they are interpreting the law Div. of Watercraft personally told me over the phone I needed to follow car carry rules. Coasties have told others on here that covered is OK. I am yet to personally talk to Columbus water patrol officers on Griggs but am interested in what they enforce and where that all falls as to be being underway with the gas motor and my being underway with the electric motor along the bank where folks are going to spook if I fish uncovered while underway with the electrics. What is truely correct may be something 180 degrees off from what is enforced as we have seen on here concerning motorcycle carry. From what I have read I personally feel that concealed should be ok BUT I don't want to be a test case at this time so I am out to satisfy whoever it is that is patroling the area I'm in. I also want to talk with a game warden if possible when I help here in a week with a hunter ed class. I can see where either carry mode is going to get someone with some badge of some sorts hacked off so I'm expecting something somewhere along the time frame of the next year for me one place or another. Good luck on your outings! It is a shame things can't be cut and dried when it comes to answers for this but the stupic @&& car carry rules are what has the entire deal screwed up. In my personal opinion
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I partiularly like the part that states( Some Ohio municipalities have their own CCL restrictions which may supercede Ohio law)... Looks like the ODNR has all the bases covered. :lol:
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Yeah, but when you try to boat that monster shovelhead yer gonna hafta shoot that sucker...or he might tear yer leg off!!

Again....ya gotta ask yerself...how many gangbangers/crackdealers with their pants down around their patootie have I met yachting???

HELLOOO!!!!!! You rarely see them NEAR the water......get a grip!!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Petrofergov wrote:Yeah, but when you try to boat that monster shovelhead yer gonna hafta shoot that sucker...or he might tear yer leg off!!
Better make sure your not fishen in Kolumbus with any high capacity mags :D
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
RamingtonStall

Post by RamingtonStall »

Willy P wrote:There are those on here that believe it is ok to be underway with the firearm concealed. It is going to depend on what branch of the government stops you as to how they are interpreting the law. Div. of Watercraft personally told me over the phone I needed to follow car carry rules. Coasties have told others on here that covered is OK. I am yet to personally talk to Columbus water patrol officers on Griggs but am interested in what they enforce and where that all falls as to be being underway with the gas motor and my being underway with the electric motor along the bank where folks are going to spook if I fish uncovered while underway with the electrics. What is truely correct may be something 180 degrees off from what is enforced as we have seen on here concerning motorcycle carry. .........snip
I have received confirmation from the Attorney General's office that a Boat is a Vessel and not a vehicle so that Concealed Carry with a Valid CHL and all other necessary identification is the legal way to carry. For my own purpose, it was for Concealed Carry on my Canoe. There is only one Law and the Div. of Watercraft will eventually have to read it and show the portion of the LAW which supports their position. Of course, such a portion does not exist.

I also have experience with Open Carry on my Motorcycle and I can personally attest from my two seasons of always carrying Openly when I am riding that very few people have even acted like they noticed my openly carried Glock. Even though I wear a Very Yellow Perforated Jacket during the majority of riding season so that a Black gun stands out from the Yellow.

Based on my experience with the MC, I would not worry about people getting freaked out by seeing you carrying a gun openly in your holster while in your boat if you choose to carry openly. The people will not even notice.
Roy from Westerville
Safer Sidewalks with CCW. Do you have your Ohio CHL?
"Remember New Orleans!" ..... NRA September 2005
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

RamingtonStall wrote:Based on my experience with the MC, I would not worry about people getting freaked out by seeing you carrying a gun openly in your holster while in your boat if you choose to carry openly.
I would think a firearm (in the view of many) fits more naturally in a non-urban environment. The thought of an armed man in a canoe is very different from an armed man in a convenience store.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
RamingtonStall

Post by RamingtonStall »

tommcnaughton wrote:I would think a firearm (in the view of many) fits more naturally in a non-urban environment. The thought of an armed man in a canoe is very different from an armed man in a convenience store.
Tom,

I have not carried openly into a Convenience Store or Meijers or Sams or Kroger, Home Depot, Dick's, etc. since I have received my CHL. I routinely carry openly in my Car and on my Motorcycle but I cover the firearm with my Jacket, Vest, or Shirt when I leave those vehicles.

I carry concealed in my Canoe and on any other Vessel on which I find myself. Usually, I am carrying in a Waterproof floatable bag for the safty of the firearm. Also, I have been unable to float my canoe or ride my motorcycle into any convenience stores so the concern has really never come up. :lol:
Roy from Westerville
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

RamingtonStall wrote: Tom,

I have been unable to float my canoe or ride my motorcycle into any convenience stores so the concern has really never come up. :lol:
Ouch! I shoulda seen that one coming... :oops:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
RamingtonStall

Post by RamingtonStall »

tommcnaughton wrote:Ouch! I shoulda seen that one coming... :oops:
O well, we have to have a little fun now and then! Cheers!

:P
Roy from Westerville