Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rbm86

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by rbm86 »

Hi, I'm new here, but have been reading this site for a few weeks.

I will be traveling to West Virginia, Virgina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

I am looking for any pointers or advice when traveling in these states. I have found all of these states have reciprocity agreements with Ohio. I am looking for any laws that differ from Ohio's, like carrying in a car (with or with out holster, in center console ), forbidden carry zones (that may not be posted), rest areas etc.

I have printed the laws from NRA/ILA, but I find these to be kind of vague (not much listed), and they are all at least one or two years old

Any input from anyone that has recently traveled these states is appreciated.
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

Try http://www.handgunlaw.us

They have a lot of information along with links to the relevant state laws.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
rbm86

Post by rbm86 »

Thanks for the link, that's where I found the reciprocity map that's very helpful

Another question : Are hollow points banned in any states? Yesterday while at the store the manager told me that either North Carolina or South Carolina banns the use of hollow points, and talked me into buying "Hornady Critical Defense". He also told me if I use hand loads for self defense " A jury will hang you". Is there any truth to this?

One other question I really have and can't find the answer for is do any of the states I mentioned above have restrictions about carrying in a car? IE must be concealed or must be visible
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

This may help.
The State of New Jersey does ban hollow-point ammunition -- sort of. It's legal to purchase it, bring it home, take it to the range and practice with it, bring any extra back home, etc. What isn't legal is for any of the very, very few individuals who hold carry permits in the state to carry firearms loaded with hollow points. Retired police officers (who are the only people who are routinely issued carry permits) cannot carry hollow points. Obviously, this means that they are carrying ammunition more likely to overpenetrate (and hit the baby carriage on the next block, for example.) Active police officers use hollow points on patrol, just as most police officers elsewhere do.
As a side note, in researching this I found a British article where it is implied that all of the US police forces are "uncivilized"

Tube police 'used banned bullets'
The suggestion that dumdum-style bullets could have been used was met with fury in some quarters. Massoud Shadjareh, of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, said: "This is outrageous. The use of this weapon is banned by all civilised police forces in the world. This quite clearly highlights that the Metropolitan Police Service is out of control."
Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_point_bullet for the difference between a Dumdum and a hollowpoint.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Dockdabber

Post by Dockdabber »

So, Does Indiana honor Ohio CCw or not? Looking at the two maps I get conflicting reports?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Dockdabber wrote:So, Does Indiana honor Ohio CCw or not? Looking at the two maps I get conflicting reports?
Indiana "Honors" ALL States legal CC Licenses/Permits.
But Ohio does not honor theirs.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
thewaterhog

Post by thewaterhog »

I am not new to handguns but I am new to CCW permits.

Do I have to carry the pistol in a holster? Not just in the pocket? I currently carry my LCP in a pocket holster.

Carry in the car question – If I stop for a few drinks I know I should cease carrying. So…. I am allowed to pull the clip and put the pistol and clip in a bag in the back of my SUV? ( no trunk )
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

If you are drinking and need to disarm, unload your mags. In Ohio a loaded mag equals a loaded gun.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
thewaterhog

Post by thewaterhog »

I didn't know that! So having the mag loaded but out of the gun constitutes loaded. Where can I find info like this, it is clear I should know about that kind of thing.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

thewaterhog wrote:I didn't know that! So having the mag loaded but out of the gun constitutes loaded. Where can I find info like this, it is clear I should know about that kind of thing.
One source is the Ohio Revised Code; another is the AG's handbook, but the best for a non-lawyer new licensee is Sean Culley's book:

http://secure.ohioccw.org/index.php?mai ... aje2v0eln1
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16
ORC 2923.16(K)(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question............
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
thewaterhog

Post by thewaterhog »

I know of a guy that got his training from a certified instructor and received his CCW. He didn't do the entire classroom and shoot time. Is his CCW valid and if he had to use his handgun legaly would he be in more trouble if it was discovered he didn't do the time?
theqbn

Post by theqbn »

thewaterhog wrote:I know of a guy that got his training from a certified instructor and received his CCW. He didn't do the entire classroom and shoot time. Is his CCW valid and if he had to use his handgun legaly would he be in more trouble if it was discovered he didn't do the time?
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/6836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes. He should get a lawyer and seek to take a legit class ASAP.
[ no longer active ]
junglebob

Post by junglebob »

I'm sure you aren't going to get a Utah LTC if you don't get your training from a Utah certified instructor. I got mine from a Minnesota instructor that does classes in Illinois, and Iowa, and Wisconsin, I believe, and of course Minnesota. Cost of the class was $75. LTC cost is $65.25, fingerprints are required so that may cost an additional fee, some police departments may do it free. The LTC is good for 5 years and it costs $10 to renew for another 5. It by itself is good in 30 states now I believe, your Ohio LTC should get you a few more that don't recognize non-resident LTCs.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason
rocketman1670

Post by rocketman1670 »

thewaterhog wrote:I know of a guy that got his training from a certified instructor and received his CCW. He didn't do the entire classroom and shoot time. Is his CCW valid and if he had to use his handgun legaly would he be in more trouble if it was discovered he didn't do the time?
I too know of a guy in this situation. This guy probably shouldn't advertise anything about his CCW class as long as his instructor was licensed. If this guy knew about the class requirements and went along with the abbreviated class (don't take your course from a friend) then he is as guilty as his instructor is of violating the revised code.

I would highly recommend the PA license if you plan on travelling anywhere along the east coast, not so much because of reciprocity but because it is easy, cheap, and in my experience fast and painless. And the statistics get better and better the more good guys sign up to carry guns.
"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." (Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950])