Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ITFlyer

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by ITFlyer »

Thanks. I take it FOPA "unloaded" is a more reasonable "ammunition is not inside gun" rather than the ridiculous Ohio "unloaded" meaning "no ammunition inside magazine anywhere in the vehicle"?
mreising

Post by mreising »

ITFlyer wrote:Thanks. I take it FOPA "unloaded" is a more reasonable "ammunition is not inside gun" rather than the ridiculous Ohio "unloaded" meaning "no ammunition inside magazine anywhere in the vehicle"?
I recommend you leave the ammo out of the magazine and in an ammo box rather than count on a roadside interpretation of whether a loaded magazine out of the gun equals an unloaded gun.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Gary45

Post by Gary45 »

Thank you for the information! I got a lot of knowledge, that i have never learnt before
USA-1

Post by USA-1 »

I just went to the following states and couldn't carry anywhere with my Ohio CCP. Pa,Ny,Ma,Nh,Me,Md. I don't think I have seen the list of states that accept Ohio grow since I got a permit a couple years ago. Is this because Ohio Politicians are anti gun and not trying to get agreements? I guess the only option is to get one from another state. I am going to MD to make a possible classic car purchase and wil be meeting a stranger at a storage facility and would love to have my gun of protection. I could transport it but still be breaking the law by having it for saftey when I get there. Any suggestions?
Member OFCC and site supporter
just waiting updated status
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

USA-1 wrote:I just went to the following states and couldn't carry anywhere with my Ohio CCP. Pa,Ny,Ma,Nh,Me,Md. I don't think I have seen the list of states that accept Ohio grow since I got a permit a couple years ago. Is this because Ohio Politicians are anti gun and not trying to get agreements? I guess the only option is to get one from another state. I am going to MD to make a possible classic car purchase and wil be meeting a stranger at a storage facility and would love to have my gun of protection. I could transport it but still be breaking the law by having it for saftey when I get there. Any suggestions?
Move to MD, register to vote and vote out the pigs that hate guns. MD is a may issue state that doesn't may very much for its residents and never for non.

Research their laws and see what other forms of self protection are allowed cause your shooter isn't at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
mreising

Post by mreising »

USA-1 wrote:I just went to the following states and couldn't carry anywhere with my Ohio CCP. Pa,Ny,Ma,Nh,Me,Md. I don't think I have seen the list of states that accept Ohio grow since I got a permit a couple years ago. Is this because Ohio Politicians are anti gun and not trying to get agreements? I guess the only option is to get one from another state. I am going to MD to make a possible classic car purchase and wil be meeting a stranger at a storage facility and would love to have my gun of protection. I could transport it but still be breaking the law by having it for saftey when I get there. Any suggestions?
PA will get you many states for a amall amount ($26) of money and little effort right now; in March 2011 you will have to appear in person to get a license there. That will only get you PA of the states that you list. You can get a NH non resident for $100 and be good in NH. You can get a non-resident MA license for $100 per year, and I believe you have to have a reason, but I have heard that non-res licenses are sometimes easier to get than a resident license there. You are pretty much out of luck in NY and MD. I forget what you need for ME, but you can look it up. How about having the car guy meet you in VA if the car is driveable; your OH license is good there.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

mreising wrote:
PA will get you many states for a amall amount ($26) of money and little effort right now; in March 2011 you will have to appear in person to get a license there. That will only get you PA of the states that you list. You can get a NH non resident for $100 and be good in NH. You can get a non-resident MA license for $100 per year, and I believe you have to have a reason, but I have heard that non-res licenses are sometimes easier to get than a resident license there. You are pretty much out of luck in NY and MD. I forget what you need for ME, but you can look it up. How about having the car guy meet you in VA if the car is driveable; your OH license is good there.
Maine has a non-resident license and I believe it's about $65.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
evelynz8735

Post by evelynz8735 »

I got another question, and excuse me if it's been answered before. If I put my handgun into a lockbox prior to entering a CPZ, does the handgun have to be unloaded? Technically it is not being 'transported' while the truck is in a parking lot.

OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

evelynz8735 wrote:I got another question, and excuse me if it's been answered before. If I put my handgun into a lockbox prior to entering a CPZ, does the handgun have to be unloaded? Technically it is not being 'transported' while the truck is in a parking lot.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ITFlyer

Post by ITFlyer »

As long as there is not someone in the car without a CHL. If there is someone in the car, they do not have a CHL, and the gun is loaded (or there is a loaded magazine for the gun somewhere in the car), then they can be charged.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

ITFlyer wrote:As long as there is not someone in the car without a CHL. If there is someone in the car, they do not have a CHL, and the gun is loaded (or there is a loaded magazine for the gun somewhere in the car), then they can be charged.
I don't think that is the case if the unlicensed person doesn't have a key to the lock box.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
ITFlyer

Post by ITFlyer »

AlanM wrote:
ITFlyer wrote:As long as there is not someone in the car without a CHL. If there is someone in the car, they do not have a CHL, and the gun is loaded (or there is a loaded magazine for the gun somewhere in the car), then they can be charged.
I don't think that is the case if the unlicensed person doesn't have a key to the lock box.
No, that's incorrect. The applicable law:
ORC 2923.16 (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways...
ORC 2923.16 (K) (5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.
The fact that the gun is loaded (meaning either the cartridges are in the gun, or are loaded into a magazine or speed loader that can fit into the gun, and that magazine or speed loader are also in the vehicle, as per 2923.16 (K), above), means that 2923.16 (C) does not apply (see bolded portion of 2923.16 (C) excerpt, above) - it doesn't matter if it's locked in a steel safe - if the gun is loaded, and it's in the car, it invalidates section C.

So then we go to 2923.16 (E):
(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.
You should be familiar with this one. This one doesn't apply either, because the person left in the car with the loaded gun does not have a license to carry a concealed handgun.

So then we go to the last piece of relevant law, which IS directly applicable to the hapless CHL-less person left in the car with the loaded gun:
2923.16 (I) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle... Violation of division (C) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
So basically, if you are locking your loaded (as per ORC definition) gun in the car, make sure nobody that does not have a CHL is going to be in the car at the same time as your gun. They are (potentially unknowingly) committing a felony by doing so.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Wouldn't the term "Knowingly" get the passenger out of the possible jackpot?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

kb8dnr wrote:
tmcblane wrote:
juanvaldez wrote: Note the Key words there "from an approved Utah Instructor"

How strictly they enforce that I have no idea, perhaps someone who has a Utah non resident license can verify
We have some apporved Utah Intructors residing in Ohio...

Utah is one of the only states if not the only state that certifies instructors in other states to teach and train the Utah OOS permit. It is only a 4 hours class with no range time required.

Utah DPS website
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of Out of State Instructors
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/docume ... 092011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
BobK

Post by BobK »

ITFlyer wrote:
AlanM wrote:
No, that's incorrect. The applicable law:
The legal argument would be over the term "have", as in "No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle". If the gun is locked in such a way that the person cannot take possession of it, then you would argue they do not constructively "have" the firearm.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?