Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Rhino »

The online prices are probably going to be the best but Dayton Armory in Beavercreek used to carry them if you're in a hurry. I assume they still do.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

I'm pretty sure i have seen them at fin, feather, and fur as well
This Space For Rent
mreising

Post by mreising »

dcludwig wrote:Now, if I'm straight on this, I will go to the check in counter with the EMPTY pistol and magazines placed in a lockable sturdy case along with the ammunition which is in plastic/fiber container (probably the same box the ammo came in), then declare this to the ticket agent, who will tag it, take it to the TSA agent who, after examining, will place in my suitcase and put on the conveyer belt. LONG sentence, that, but in general, that would be the procedure? I'm usually anal about getting to the airport WAY before flight time, just in case of unexpected long lines, so that should help in case of any "speed-bumps" with TSA. I'll have to check with the airlines I'll be flying with (I think United) about their policies.

Hmmm, another question - when arriving at my final destination, can I simply pick up the suitcase off the belt and leave?

Thanks for the responses, btw.
Bear in mind that different airports, and sometime even airlines, have slightly different procedures. Here at CVG (Cincy) you go to the counter to check in and check your bag, declare the firearm, they have (usually) a TSA agent inspect to ensure it is unloaded, you lock it in the case and it goes on the conveyor to the bottom of the airport (where bags disappear forever) to be loaded on the plane. In SLC, you check in at the kiosk and then tell the counter agent at the baggage check that you have firearm to declare and they put one of the Rubbermaid tubs on the conveyor as a signal and eventually someone comes out to check that it is unloaded. In SEA, you check in at the counter, tell them you have a firearm and they have you wait next to a door at the side of the counter area until someone comes out. In Dayton, once you check in and declare, you carry your bag over to the TSA inspection/x-ray unit because it is in the terminal area instead of in back. In Anchorage the girl at the counter picks the gun up, looks at it and says "Nice!". Gotta love those Alaska girls :) . Please note that the above applies to the Delta terminals at the above airports and some of the procedures may have changed again, they sometimes like to do that.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

dcludwig wrote:Do you remember where you got it from? I agree with being able to use it in a hotel/motel room, too.
I'm pretty sure I bought it at Gander Mountain.
dcludwig wrote:Now, if I'm straight on this, I will go to the check in counter with the EMPTY pistol and magazines placed in a lockable sturdy case along with the ammunition which is in plastic/fiber container (probably the same box the ammo came in), then declare this to the ticket agent, who will tag it, take it to the TSA agent who, after examining, will place in my suitcase and put on the conveyer belt. LONG sentence, that, but in general, that would be the procedure? I'm usually anal about getting to the airport WAY before flight time, just in case of unexpected long lines, so that should help in case of any "speed-bumps" with TSA. I'll have to check with the airlines I'll be flying with (I think United) about their policies.
That's about right. I always go to the airline's website for their specific info. I always get to the airport early and almost always zip right through security. Better safe than sorry.
dcludwig wrote:Hmmm, another question - when arriving at my final destination, can I simply pick up the suitcase off the belt and leave?
Yep.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I always go to the airline's website for their specific info.
You have to be careful there.
AirtTran burned me once.
I printed out their pages from the website and had them tucked in my lock box (just in case).

At the check in counter, they questioned my method of how my mags were packed.
I'd traveled using the same method on a few separate occasions with no problem.
I was told that TSA had changes the regulations and Air Tran's website info was out of date.
:shock:

Whatever the case, I left behind aprox. 17 rounds of premium Ranger .45 acp ammo.
:evil:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

XDm45 wrote:I'm pretty sure i have seen them at fin, feather, and fur as well
I don't think they have a store in the Dayton area.
Jake wrote:You have to be careful there.
AirtTran burned me once.
I printed out their pages from the website and had them tucked in my lock box (just in case).

At the check in counter, they questioned my method of how my mags were packed.
I'd traveled using the same method on a few separate occasions with no problem.
I was told that TSA had changes the regulations and Air Tran's website info was out of date.
:shock:

Whatever the case, I left behind aprox. 17 rounds of premium Ranger .45 acp ammo.
:evil:
That's who I taught how to check for an unloaded firearm! I couldn't remember who it was before.

I always take both the TSA and airline policies with me.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Rhino wrote: I always take both the TSA and airline policies with me.
I printed both TSA and American's policies to take with me tomorrow. I decided to take the "Infidel" sticker off of the G26...don't need to draw MORE attention to me right now! ;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Here's my homemade pistol travel kit:

This is just a simple steel "gadget box" from TSC that I bought for $11.99. I like how it doesn't say "GUN" by its looks. It is just the right size to fit two handguns.

I bought some foam at WalMart for $7.99 and cut it to shape. Easy.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

mreising wrote: In Dayton, once you check in and declare, you carry your bag over to the TSA inspection/x-ray unit because it is in the terminal area instead of in back. In Anchorage the girl at the counter picks the gun up, looks at it and says "Nice!". Gotta love those Alaska girls :) . Please note that the above applies to the Delta terminals at the above airports and some of the procedures may have changed again, they sometimes like to do that.
I'm flying out of Dayton. When you carry your bag over to TSA, do you carry the pistol case seperately, or inside the suitcase, or does it matter?
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mreising

Post by mreising »

dcludwig wrote:
mreising wrote: In Dayton, once you check in and declare, you carry your bag over to the TSA inspection/x-ray unit because it is in the terminal area instead of in back. In Anchorage the girl at the counter picks the gun up, looks at it and says "Nice!". Gotta love those Alaska girls :) . Please note that the above applies to the Delta terminals at the above airports and some of the procedures may have changed again, they sometimes like to do that.
I'm flying out of Dayton. When you carry your bag over to TSA, do you carry the pistol case seperately, or inside the suitcase, or does it matter?
Keep it in the bag but make sure you declare it. They may have already come over and inspected it when you declare it at the baggage check-in. My latest trip out of there a couple of weeks ago (unarmed) I noted a few changes in the security checkpoint setup so they may have a different procedure now. It still looks like the same basic arrangement.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

You don’t carry your bag to TSA in Dayton anymore. You just check it at the ticket counter.

-- Samuel Adams

dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Rhino wrote:You don’t carry your bag to TSA in Dayton anymore. You just check it at the ticket counter.
Thanks for that info. TSA has to inspect and tag the gun case though, correct? Or is the counter agent permitted to do this? I'm not flying out until August and heck, procedurers may even change again before then. I just really like being prepared when I fly and avoiding TSA hassles (I've even purchased a "TSA lock" for my suitcase, whatever good that will do...)

But, I appreciate your response and hopefully it will just be taken care of at the counter.

btw, it's pretty much a cardinal sin in flying to put valuables in suitcases (i.e., cameras) and of course we have no choice in this matter with firearm transport. Has anyone known of missing handguns while flying? I have purchased the case with the cables that others have recommended. I also have 130 decible alarm that I will place along with the cabling so it will engage if the case is removed from the suitcase. Nothing is fool proof in flying, but it will be a deterrent I'm sure. I've flown probably 20 -30 times since the 80's and have yet to lose any luggage - a few items that were delayed but never lost (airport language for stolen) awell, I'm make sure everything is well documented before my departure.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Last time I flew out of Dayton (last year), everything was done at the ticket counter. TSA never got involved. The ticket agent told me that TSA would page me if they wanted to inspect the case or the gun.

-- Samuel Adams

mreising

Post by mreising »

Thanks for the updates. I have not taken a gun thru there for a while and I used carry on bag on my last trip earler this month so I did not notice the change for checked bag screening. Like I said, I noticed something looked different.

Mark
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Rhino wrote:Last time I flew out of Dayton (last year), everything was done at the ticket counter. TSA never got involved. The ticket agent told me that TSA would page me if they wanted to inspect the case or the gun.
Good to know. We are thinking of flying out of there this summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA